For those wanting to mod the Cross - Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

For those wanting to mod the Cross

Don't.
Though this might be seen as a rather negative writeup, please know that this comes from a place that started with a lot of hope, and now ends with much frustration.

Let's begin.

The Eclipse Cross' 4B40 engine is designed from the earlier 1.5L cast iron block 4A92 used primarily in passenger vehicles. No performance variants were available for the 4A92, and this becomes the basis for what's now the Eclipse Cross' powerplant. (Though the Colt Ralliart did sport a similar engine, but with different cylinder heads and a proper turbocharged I/E setup. ) Turbocharged and all, one might think there's promise here. Think again. The 4B40 in the Cross is mated to an IHI turbo (think Econo-turbo) that's about the size of a fist. Then consider that the exhaust port on the heads is INTEGRATED with the cylinder head itself! In other words, no way to properly design it for better flow. (other than perhaps a P&P job) No clue as to the flow characteristics on the head, though one can guess it's probably meh.

But, the biggest problem with the Cross, IMO, isn't the powerplant. That can be tweaked.
It's the transmission.

The Jatco CVT7 variant in the Cross is weak. It's no different than any other Jatco in other Mitsubishis and Nissans since, oh I'll throw out a year - 2008? Save for a few programming tweaks saved on the transmission. The stepped 8-speed programming is all that's different in this transmission compared to that of the Outlander or Outlander Sport. They're the EXACT SAME HARDWARE. Biggest gripe: Mitsubishi could have shelled out the extra cash to get the CVT7 that has a higher torque capacity of 250Nm (the chain-driven one), but instead they opted for the belt-driven model (which taps out at about 180Nm). I've called Jatco, no joy there. I've tried to find info on the transmission internally via Mitsubishi. The only info you'll get is that it's rated at 189 lb-ft Tq, exactly as it's stated in Jatco's OEM product catalog.

Guys and gals, I'd hate to say this, but the Eclipse Cross just cannot be modified unless:
  1. You're willing to replace the transmission and properly mate this with the driveline.
  2. You're willing to go to a 100% custom ECU / engine management solution. This includes a way to properly control S-AWC. (Maybe GEMS?)
  3. You're willing to be the first one to put skin in the game.

As for what I've done thus far to substantiate these claims, here's a little bit of what I've done:
  1. Contacted Mitsu for tech info on the Cross. Does that ever really work?
  2. Contacted Jatco for tech info on the CVT. That obviously yielded no results.
  3. Gotten all the available TSBs for the Cross to date (as of July, when we bought ours). Not a lot there.
  4. Purchased a genuine FSM from Helm. Very helpful, of course.
  5. Engaged Eric @ Kozmic Motorsports in Houston, who specializes in Evos, and particularly the DCT470 (TC-SST) in the X MR.

It was Kozmic who ultimately convinced me that this is a lost cause. I hope someone proves me wrong.
Better yet, I hope Mitsubishi does better with future iterations of the Cross and its other product offerings. Because at this point in time, it's nothing but a really nice, smooth passenger vehicle that does nothing to win back its old clientele, nor the old "Driven to Thrill" or "Wake Up and Drive" appeal.

The one saving grace in the Cross --- the S-AWC in it is surprisingly very close to that of the Evo X
(This coming from a guy who has two.)

I hope this helps.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 11:11 AM

Appreciate the very in depth insight slipper and I inclined to agree with you. If you have any interest in performance, you are better off going with something other than the EC. I'd suggest having a look at the new Edge ST or even an older Juke Nismo.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksander View Post
Appreciate the very in depth insight slipper and I inclined to agree with you. If you have any interest in performance, you are better off going with something other than the EC. I'd suggest having a look at the new Edge ST or even an older Juke Nismo.
You speak a sad, sad truth. And if anything, this is why Mitsubishi continues to fail.

Truth is, I'd love to see what transmission, if at all, will bolt on easily (easier) with this block. It is a 4Bxx engine after all. Chances are, the bellhousings will line up between other 4Bxx-equipped vehicles that have other transmissions designed for them --- like the Evo.

The problem therein lies in whether anyone has any interest in spending the time and money to mod a CUV, when you can do better with a hatchback like a Mirage.

I'm hopeful (though not holding up a candle) that Mitsubishi finds it in themselves to offer some variant of this that's sportier, and that has better drivetrain options from the factory. There's buzz around a possible EV drivetrain being integrated at some point (probably from the PHEV). But even that's got a CVT.

So... as always Mitsubishi owners get the short end. Sorry to be such a Debbie downer. I just really wish they'd be smart about it and throw people like us a bone every now and then. It's not like they don't have the tech!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 PM

So... there's nothing to do performance-wise?
Some minor mods maybe?

Newbie here. EC is my first 4-wheel vehicle.
Still enjoying the smooth rides and those little turbo-kicks.
Just want to know some future possibilities.

TIA
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 02:04 PM

Great post. Thanks for sharing with us
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks and you're welcome, Bam.

Ecalitis - Minor bolt-on mods to intake and exhaust won't hurt anything, but I doubt it will make it feel any sportier either. By minor, I'm talking about anything intake that comes before the Mass Airflow Sensor (e.g., intake box, filter, increased piping diameter), and anything after the downpipe (high flow cat, catback exhaust, muffler, increased piping diameter). I can't for certain tell you if anything cat-back will throw an SES/CEL light, thought I doubt it.

Where you can make a good dent in performance is suspension. Better tires for sure. I see the usual cheap Taiwan/Chinese-made coilovers for the Cross out there (buyer beware; personally I wouldn't touch em with a 10-foot pole, but if that's your thing... ). Swaybars and end links, there are some aftermarket companies already making em.

Note that Outlander and EC suspension components are similar, if not interchangeable. For instance:

Link.

Sway bars and end links are always a good place to start. But, beware that this will change the driving feel of the vehicle. If you're (like me) one who enjoys tight corners, these and wheels/tires are some of the first to be changed out.

----

So, in summary:

- power output: can't do much
- suspension: can do quite a bit, but prepare for decreased ride quality at the expense of better traction and cornering.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecalitis View Post
Some minor mods maybe?

TIA
Glad you're enjoying it

FYI, those "little turbo kicks" are really just what MIVEC does. Hydraulic pressure engages/locks on a tertiary set of valve tappets that have advanced timing so the engine all of a sudden takes in a large amount of air than standard.

You really hardly feel any boost with this vehicle: the turbo is so small it really only tacks on marginal power to the engine and doesn't throw you back.

Still, nice to have that kick in the seat every now and then.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecalitis View Post
Some minor mods maybe?

TIA
Glad you're enjoying it

FYI, those "little turbo kicks" are really just what MIVEC does. Hydraulic pressure engages/locks on a tertiary set of valve tappets or aligns a tertiary cam lobes to the main tappets that result in advanced timing so the engine all of a sudden takes in a large amount of air than standard. See the video below.

You really hardly feel any boost with this vehicle: the turbo is so small it really only tacks on marginal power to the engine and doesn't throw you back. It's really just an econo-turbo to supplement the small displacement.

Still, nice to have that kick in the seat every now and then.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:29 AM

glad to see you again Slippercream
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:44 PM

I think eventually that Mitsubishi can make a business case out of launching an "Evolution" version of the Eclipse Cross.

However in the process they might have to butcher what the Evolution name means, just slightly.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page