After purchase roof rails? - Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Question After purchase roof rails?

I have a 2018 Eclipse Cross SEL that I bought brand new in July 2018. At the time I purchased it it did not have the longitudinal roof rails or the cross track roof bars. This was an option that I wanted (I have a kayak I want roof load) but there were no models on the lot equipped with the rails. I was informed by the salesman, the parts department of the dealership, the printed brochure of the model, and the on-line specifications of the model that it would be possible to add the rails later at a cost of approximately $600. However, because the Eclipse Cross was so new the supply system had not yet caught up with the demand and there were no rails available at that time. Everybody expected that the rails would be available in a couple of months at which time I could come back and purchase them and have them installed after sale. Good news, good sale experience, happy customer and new Eclipse Cross owner. The salesman, who is a great guy that I did and do trust without qualification, even called me back in a couple of weeks to tell me that he hadn't forgotten me but that the roof rails still hadn't arrived. Still good.
Now for the bad news. When I checked back with the dealership in January I discovered that the salesman and the parts department had both been misinformed and the brochure and on-line information were both either inaccurate or misleading. Latest word was that for the 2018 model year the roof rails were only available as a factory installed option and then only if you ordered the Touring package for the SEL (a $1900 additional option) which also included a 360 degree proximity sensor and warning system which I didn't care about and a sunroof which I most emphatically did not want. Since then, through further research, I have found that roof rails are an available option on all versions of the 2019 Eclipse Cross and does not require the Touring package.
After that long winded preamble, here's my question. Can I get roof rails installed on my 2018 Eclipse Cross? Are the 2019 roof rails compatible with the 2018 model? Anybody know? Who can I contact?
Thanks in advance for any help/info the community can provide.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:24 AM

Garage
Speak with the gentleman at https://www.mitsubishipartscentral.com
He was the only one willing to work with me to get the bug shield shipped to Europe. He was very pleasant to speak with in our email exchanges.

Left:
https://www.mitsubishipartscentral.com/oem-parts/mitsubishi-roof-rail-7661a309

Right:
https://www.mitsubishipartscentral.com/oem-parts/mitsubishi-roof-rail-7661a310

I would inquire if all the mounting hardware and caps and plugs come with.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

To mtgtnt: Thank you for the information. If I am reading the websites that you sent me correctly, the cost for all the parts is over $500 for each side rail and the page seems to say it is only if you have the sun roof (I do not). Good information but not exactly what I was hoping to learn.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 03:03 AM

Garage
The cost seems high, but I think there is no dealer option anywhere.

Also ignore the sunroof part. The rails are the same with or without. To confirm email the site. You may be able to work a deal on a set.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
To mtgtnt: Thank you for the information. If I am reading the websites that you sent me correctly, the cost for all the parts is over $500 for each side rail and the page seems to say it is only if you have the sun roof (I do not). Good information but not exactly what I was hoping to learn.
I am on the same boat with the only difference that I have 2018 SE. The salesman promised to get me rails installed. They even ordered the parts mentioned above but I would not fit SE. Check if you have mounting points available by removing the rubber cover for the rain guards and see if you have the U shaped piece with the thread under it. Mine does not have it so there is no way to get rails installed. I keep looking for the aftermarket solution but it is not available yet. I got in touch with all major manufacturers (Thule, Rola, Yakima, Rhino, Inno) and none of them have solution as of now. I keep checking every 2-3 weeks as I need rails badly (camping a lot) but as of now all I could do is to get a hitch installed with the basket to carry my camping gears.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:04 PM

How about those portable roof rack system?
The ones that clamps to the edge of the roof, and does not require a rail.
Any thoughts?
I know Yakima and Thule has some.🤔

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page