First gear - Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

First gear

Hi everyone have had the car for 4 weeks now, loving the car but I have a little problem with clutch control with first gear the engine wants to stall, it happens occasionally has anybody had the same problem.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 06:48 AM

Haven't hear about this issue so far, it might be isolated. I suggest you book an appointment with your dealer to have it inspected right away, after all its a new vehicle under warranty.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:21 PM

When you saw wants to stall are you talking about hesitation or some kind of vibrations? Its got a CVT so there isn't really a first gear.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 12:16 PM

I think this might just be your unfamiliarity with this kind of transmission. It's not going to have the pronounced gear changes that you have become accustom to in regular automatics.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gua195 View Post
Hi everyone have had the car for 4 weeks now, loving the car but I have a little problem with clutch control with first gear the engine wants to stall, it happens occasionally has anybody had the same problem.
Yes I have the same problem, though getting used to the clutch action now. Sometimes the car moves off okay without giving any thought to engine revs. But on occasions it will stall the engine.
On hill starts especially, I give the engine extra revs just to be sure no stalling takes place. Its a strange problem as many times moving off causes no problem at all, but every now and then it catches you out. The 6 speed manual gearbox is a delight having a good gear selection feel through the gear lever.
Apart from the slight stall problem I am thoroughly enjoying my Eclipse Cross 3.

Owned S type Jaguar for 10 years and now on my second Mitsubishi, having recently replace my ASX ZC-M-DI--D with a Eclipse Cross 3 4x2. Atlantic Grey.

Last edited by Telferstr; 09-11-2019 at 09:29 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 10:12 AM

Mine has a CVT with 1.5 turbo. I bougth my car brand new and now it has 8000 km. Last summer, I had no "stall" issue. Now the weather is colder, near 0 celcius. When the engine is cold and when I put it in drive withing 30 sec after starting, the engine is very near to stall when I push the gaz pedal. I gues I will be able to stall it easily this winter at -30 celcius.

When the engine is hot, this never happen.

This car is new... imagine after 200 000km.

I guess a recall will be done to adress this point, computer programming.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:08 PM

I have manual transmission and I have the same problem too. The car wants to take off with a very low gas and when you see it starts to stall you press the pedal "just a little bit more" and then the engine rpm goes over 2000.

However, I went to a Mitsubishi users meeting and the guys over there said that this was a problem from the Lancer era. Also an experinced Mitsubishi mechanic drove my car and he said there isn't any problem. There was no stall when he drove and he said it is about getting used to the car. Man, I drive for 15 years, including 9 months with this car, and i am sure this is not about getting used to something. I think this is the way Mitsubishi clutches work.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 11:41 AM

Hi,
I have got more used to the car now, but still have an occasional problem with the throttle pedal and can stall the engine now and then.
There appears to be little feel with the throttle pedal and when pressing it to give just a few more engine revs, it just shoots up the revs to over 2000, as Rifat says. This happens very easily and is somewhat annoying.
Will need to ask the dealer if there is any adjustment they can make to allow a more progressive throttle response at lower engine revs, but doubt this possible.
Looks as if we will just have to live with this quirk.
Otherwise I am thoroughly enjoying my Eclipse Cross, especially the way the engine performs and overall comfort the car offers.

Owned S type Jaguar for 10 years and now on my second Mitsubishi, having recently replace my ASX ZC-M-DI--D with a Eclipse Cross 3 4x2. Atlantic Grey.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 10:27 PM

I found my own solution btw. First I slap the gas pedal to make the engine rev a little bit, like about 1500 rpm, not much, then i use the clutch and gas pedals to move the car. I am not happy using this with a brand new car but it is better than to be honked
Telferstr likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 01:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rıfat View Post
I think this is the way Mitsubishi clutches work.
This is a bit of speculation on my part since the manual trannies aren't available in the US. I think what we've got here is getting used to a couple of things and finding the "sweet spot" for the clutch and accelerator. Let me first ask this ... is the distance from the engagement point of the clutch to full engagement fairly short in the EC? It was in the Lancer, but without the turbo.

So, at low rpm's you let off the clutch and it starts to engage, and you give it a little gas. Too little and it stalls. But, give it a little more and the revs go up above 1k and there's enough exhaust pressure to engage the turbo and all of a sudden you've the advantage of all that low end torque ... vrooom, as they say.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page