Android Auto & Head Unit - Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 170
Android Auto & Head Unit

Has anyone managed to successfully hack any apps to run on android auto?

There are quite a few people working at it here https://forum.xda-developers.com/sit...android%20auto

However, there appears to be quite a bit of stuffing around to get other apps to work.

Bloody Google keep blocking all the good hacks with their updates.

Just maybe, the Chinese will soon be selling a drop in replacement head unit with GPS, video etc etc.
oldsalt is online now  
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 07:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 62
I would buy a drop in head unit if it had physical buttons at the bottom of the Android Auto screen. The on-screen buttons are very difficult to hit accurately on a bumpy road.

I'm not sure what you want video for, but it could be hacked by using an audio player that changes it's "cover art" continuously to simulate a video.

For GPS, what are you wanting that Google Maps doesn't offer?

I wonder whether the head unit software will get updated by Mitsubishi when the car is serviced? That could be interesting. Has anyone here had their first service yet?
ribuck is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribuck View Post
I would buy a drop in head unit if it had physical buttons at the bottom of the Android Auto screen. The on-screen buttons are very difficult to hit accurately on a bumpy road.

I'm not sure what you want video for, but it could be hacked by using an audio player that changes it's "cover art" continuously to simulate a video.

For GPS, what are you wanting that Google Maps doesn't offer?

I wonder whether the head unit software will get updated by Mitsubishi when the car is serviced? That could be interesting. Has anyone here had their first service yet?
1/. Video for the wife when we go on long trips.

2./ Google maps uses data which is very expensive in Australia, also, in the bush it's near impossible to get a mobile/cellphone signal.
oldsalt is online now  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 07:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
2./ Google maps uses data which is very expensive in Australia, also, in the bush it's near impossible to get a mobile/cellphone signal.
Fortunately, there is an easy solution. The Google Maps app can pre-download the maps when you have WiFi. They stay on your phone for 30 days, but if you connect to WiFi again in that time you can renew the download.

This solves the "expensive data" problem, and also solves the "no signal" problem. The only thing it doesn't give you is real-time congestion information.


https://support.google.com/maps/answ...DAndroid&hl=en

Last edited by ribuck; 11-01-2018 at 07:18 AM. Reason: (forgot to add the URL)
ribuck is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribuck View Post
Fortunately, there is an easy solution. The Google Maps app can pre-download the maps when you have WiFi. They stay on your phone for 30 days, but if you connect to WiFi again in that time you can renew the download.

This solves the "expensive data" problem, and also solves the "no signal" problem. The only thing it doesn't give you is real-time congestion information.


https://support.google.com/maps/answ...DAndroid&hl=en
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

Still costs $$ to download the maps and you have to know before hand where you want to go.

GPS = free and instant.
oldsalt is online now  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 62
No, it's completely free to download Google Maps over WiFi for offline use 30 days at a time. I have done this in the UK and Australia, but I think it works in all countries.

But I agree with you, a dedicated GPS app would be better. All it needs is a way to "cast" from an app to the Android Auto head unit, in the same way that an app can "cast" to a Chromecast-enabled TV. But that's an Android Auto limitation rather than an Eclipse Cross limitation.
oldsalt likes this.
ribuck is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 07:31 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 4
When test driving my EC, it soon became apparent that plugging in a phone each time I wanted the maps to work was not going to do the phone (or me) any good.
That is why I have a Garmin GPS attached to the screen with a lead to the cigarette lighter socket - ugly, yes, but very effective. Comes on straight away, a couple of screen taps and there is the map. I can even talk to it.
My phone connects via Bluetooth for the hands-free calling feature and it doesn't require me to do anything to set it up.
oldsalt likes this.
pgh3 is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Member
 
slippercream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 61
Not sure, but can't the head unit connect A/V via external aux? That might be your easiest option there.

If so, you'd have to choose between Android Auto versus "docking" as an external monitor.
slippercream is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 02:40 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 21
@pgh3 : Use Waze app it is accurate and also the interface is more friendly than Google map and Apple Map, the other Alternative is to buy premium Sygic, you can download the Country Map and use it offline( the free Version doesn't support CarPlay or Android ).
Elpato is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:21 AM
Junior Member
 
Landshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh3 View Post
When test driving my EC, it soon became apparent that plugging in a phone each time I wanted the maps to work was not going to do the phone (or me) any good.
That is why I have a Garmin GPS attached to the screen with a lead to the cigarette lighter socket - ugly, yes, but very effective. Comes on straight away, a couple of screen taps and there is the map. I can even talk to it.
My phone connects via Bluetooth for the hands-free calling feature and it doesn't require me to do anything to set it up.

i bought my mom magnetic cables for her EC.


you install a little insert into the phone and it stays there. the magnetic charging cable sticks to that. this eliminates wear on the phone's charging port as you aren't always physically sticking a connector into the port everytime to charge. it also it easy for car use as the magnet "sucks" the cable right to it - no fishing around for the hole. buy a few extra for home, work, etc. (no "standard" for these - some cables won't work with other brands, so buy as many as you need the first time.)





i also added a magnetic phone mount, and a cable clip that keeps the charging cable right near the mount.





Last edited by Landshark; 11-08-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Landshark is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Head Unit oldsalt Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross General Discussion Forum 2 10-04-2018 03:40 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome