Eclipse Cross VS Competition - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksander View Post
Its important to note that the Eclipse is the only model in that chart that has a turbocharged engine. For those considering aftermarket modifications, that's a selling point alone. Both the CH-R and Rogue Sport have been criticized for having lackluster performance, especially off the line.
I don't know that I'd position the EC against the Rogue. Having now seen an EC up close and in person, I'm thinking it's more likely up against the Juke—which makes 20% more horsepower (188).

My wife fell in love with the Juke at the LA Auto Show back in 2010. I tried getting her into an Outlander Sport, but once she got her first taste of boost that was it. Game over.

In terms of the aftermarket benefit, the fact that this is a factory turbocharged Mitsubishi is a huge plus. We haven't had one of those in years. Direct injection is also a major plus, as it potentially makes fuel system upgrades unnecessary as well. However the CVT is a real kick in the nuts. They're more fun than I think anyone would like to admit around town (says the guy who occasionally drives a 2011 Juke SV FWD CVT), but I think the general consensus is they're not made for big power.

Part of the reason why I'm here. I wanna make sure the rest of the Mitsu Familia knows where these machines shine.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:21 PM

The CVT for me is the best thing! I have tried all types of automatic gearboxes.
Torque converter - eats most of the power and is slow on shifting
Dualclutch - works pretty well. Especially the getrag brand placed in Renault but still could be a little bit shaky. The VAG DSG is a little bit worse.
Drove CVT in Nissan mikra an liked it - once you are used to it.
In love with the EC CVT - feels like dual clutch but smoother. Yes, there is some lag and rubber band feeling but we also have 140kmh at 2400 rpm.
ribuck likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 02:46 PM

2400rpm @ 140kmh? Not bad at all.

CVTs definitely have their perks, but I feel they may prove a weak link at some point. That's all.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post
2400rpm @ 140kmh? Not bad at all.

CVTs definitely have their perks, but I feel they may prove a weak link at some point. That's all.
Yes, the weak point could be reliability.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 11:40 PM

Sorry, guys - nothing about this CVT is a positive. Regardless of what paper says.

1. Tuning for "stepped" / simulated gears is horrible, and you can experience it by noticing random drops in RPM when downshifting. Why?
2. The final drive ratio on the CVT is so high (6.386!!!) that totally disregards any kind of benefit the turbocharged engine. I guess it needs it to get as much torque at lower RPMs , that you really lose that feeling of having "power on demand" at higher speeds!
3. The CVT does NOTHING to improve fuel efficiency for this vehicle. You have to rev so hard to even get the car up to speed (again, notice Final Drive Ratio comment above) on an on-ramp that you can say goodbye to your MPG. Definitely not smiles per gallon here.
4. Good luck trying to tune the vehicle for more HP/TQ. The Jatco CVT is easily the single weakest link in any Mitsubishi designed in recent years.

Final comment: The CVT is a non-serviceable unit. That means, if you break it, you replace the whole thing. This is the one thing in your Cross that might as well be sold by Walmart. You can't buy performance parts for it. You can't even replace it without buying a whole new one. And, oh - NO ONE knows how to tune this thing. So, good luck trying to get any better performance from it.

Mitsubishi should have just kept their contracts with Aisin-Warner or … better... Getrag. Either of the two would have made WORLDs of difference in both how the vehicle performs by design, … or could, if modified.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page