• 1 Post By zarbs
  • 1 Post By oldsalt
  • 1 Post By zarbs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The US EC front end. Thoughts?

Hi guys,

The US Eclipse Cross has the optional accessory for the front and rear of a lower garnish in matte chrome look. I added the rear lower garnish to my EC here in Australia from a Chinese seller on AliExpress. The US front accessory is a one piece part like the rear but the Chinese copies are only available as a two piece item and there is a gap in the middle where the license plate covers that area. My issue is that I have a small personalised license plate that doesn't cover that area so the gap would be easily visible.

Evidently, the Chinese only do the ends as the US EC has a slightly different lower bumper with indents to allow this garnish to sit flat to the existing bumper but the Chinese part might not fit truely enough if a one piece offering. The rear garnish doesn't suffer the issue as the area where it attaches has a little wiggle room as far as fitment.

One option would be to make a project for myself and buy the Chinese part and set to work to build out the missing centre area with fibreglass but that may take some time.

The easy option for me is to add a backing plate to the license plate which covers the gap to about the size of a normal license plate. I've sourced some black acrylic perspex sheet and cut it to size (see the attached pic). It is quite unobtrusive at the moment against the red of the bumper but may be more pronounced once the garnish in matte chrome was installed.

If I was still travelling to the USA for business I would organise to pick one up at a dealer in California like I've done for other parts in years gone by but my travels are now mostly in the regions of Europe and I haven't seen it available there.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the garnish for the front bumper as you see it in the pictures of this forums page banner?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 2.06.30 pm.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	271  
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:38 AM

I have the two bits of trim from China.

You can just see where they don't join, however, it's hardly noticeable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190618_110203.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	273  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
I have the two bits of trim from China.

You can just see where they don't join, however, it's hardly noticeable.
Yes, I pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered a set from AliExpress. With the smaller Euro style front plate the gap will be more evident with mine so I'll use the black acrylic sheet to cover the bottom section. Thanks for the feedback. I do like the look of it and as you have the same colour it is answers my question. Nice plates by the way. I've had my plates for over 16 years and they have sentimental meaning so I have no wish to replace them plus I don't pay an annual fee on them they're so old...
oldsalt likes this.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:32 AM

My previous was a ZJ outlander, I had the plates ZJ-0000

No yearly fee, about $150 initially and that's it.

Mitsubishi had Cross-1 so I got Cross-0
zarbs likes this.

Last edited by oldsalt; 06-19-2019 at 04:35 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My trims arrived today in record time. Fitted fine and the extra black acrylic plate hides the gap quite well...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4544.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	279   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4545.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	281  
oldsalt likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version