Eclipse Cross Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Eclipse Cross Exceed 4WD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening All,

Long time watcher but never had any issues with my EC (until now) to post.

Wondering if anyone has had an issue with their electric seat reclining motors failing.

The right hand motor in my driver's seat seems to have stopped working. That is, I assume that there are actually 2 reclining motors in the seat as the left hand still works slightly (I don't want to push it as it may burn out as the seat back twists).

Cheers,

Carl

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Good Evening All,

Long time watcher but never had any issues with my EC (until now) to post.

Wondering if anyone has had an issue with their electric seat reclining motors failing.

The right hand motor in my driver's seat seems to have stopped working. That is, I assume that there are actually 2 reclining motors in the seat as the left hand still works slightly (I don't want to push it as it may burn out as the seat back twists).

Cheers,

Carl
So a belated update on my seat.

I took it in for servicing a number of months ago now and they pulled the seat apart and identified that the seat frame was broken... Although I am 6' 2" and 85kgs I think I have probably reclined my chair twice since getting it new 4 years ago.

I was quoted $2,800 by Mitsubishi to get it fixed (have a new frame installed) and although I took out the 10 year warranty when I purchased the car I will still be out of pocket $800...

Might have to lift the leather and dig the welder out myself.

I will take some photos if/when I do.

Cheers,

Carl

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I pulled my seat out on the weekend and surprise surprise I did not have a cracked seat frame.

As you will see in the images below there is a splined steel rod running between the two reclining cogs of the back rest.

The rod had simply fallen out of the right hand side of the seat and as such when the motor recliner was activated only the left hand side of the seat upright would recline...
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Not having the proper tools to fit a circlip, split pin or grub screw a $1 worm clamp and drilled out washer to the rescue...
Automotive tire Motorcycle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

Other than noticing a flattened spline on the left hand side of the rod I am not sure what was supposed to hold the rod in place.

I did have to pull the seat out a second time to straighten the backrest by 2 splines...

I wonder what Mitsubishi would have done if I booked it in for the $2,800 replacement?

·
Registered
2022 Eclipse Cross PHEV
27 Posts
So I pulled my seat out on the weekend and surprise surprise I did not have a cracked seat frame.

As you will see in the images below there is a splined steel rod running between the two reclining cogs of the back rest.

The rod had simply fallen out of the right hand side of the seat and as such when the motor recliner was activated only the left hand side of the seat upright would recline...
View attachment 1612 View attachment 1610
Not having the proper tools to fit a circlip, split pin or grub screw a $1 worm clamp and drilled out washer to the rescue...
View attachment 1611
Other than noticing a flattened spline on the left hand side of the rod I am not sure what was supposed to hold the rod in place.

I did have to pull the seat out a second time to straighten the backrest by 2 splines...

I wonder what Mitsubishi would have done if I booked it in for the $2,800 replacement?
Well done, good job(y)

Reactions: greenhalgh000
1 - 4 of 4 Posts