Eclipse Cross Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been looking at a possible replacement for my Eclipse Cross as with Mitsubishi withdrawing from the British and European markets, I'm wondering if I should change now and minimise the financial loss, rather than waiting for another year or so. With the Mitsubishi range is still reasonably popular, now may be the time to make the move before loosing out financially, because the assumed of lack of aftersales support etc..
This is what I am looking at;- MG HS SUV | Car Models | MG Motor UK
Looks smart and roomy, but it is a Chinees who bought the rights to use the MG name, when MG Rover went into liquidation in 2005. The Mg range is still designed in Britain, or so it is said, but most are built in China.
A difficult decision. The Chinees bought part of the MG-Rover Factory in Birmingham and assemble some of their model range there, but not the HS.
Will have to give it a lot of thought.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may well be right Betha, I am still happy with the Eclipse Cross, but the service arrangements in the next year or so, could complicate matters.
Will see how it goes. Hope you are keeping well, and clear of Covid. I had my first vaccine Jab last Thursday, and I'm taking Anne (my wife) for her first jab today at 3pm. So hopefully that will give us some form of protection.

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
If I may be a little pragmatic here, a vehicle is not an investment, it's an appliance. Save for a few iconic cars that have become collector's items buying a car is always a money losing proposition. So, if your single purpose is to minimize the financial impact, then I think any economist would tell you to hold on to the EC (actually they'd probably tell you to never own a car and use public transportation ;) ).

If you are a consumer who changes cars ever couple of years, then I think the possible devaluation because of Mitsubishi leaving Britain and the EU is not a quantifiable number. Consider that it may already be too late with the news already widely known and dealers trying to unload their inventory at bargain prices. On the other hand, If you keep a car for many years, until it's resale value is relatively low, then I see no reason to sell the Cross now. Service may be an issue in that you'll need to find a mechanic with access to parts and software, but that shouldn't be hard given that Mitsubishi must still honor warranties and provide parts and support for vehicles for a good number of years. In the U.S. I believe parts must be available for at least 8 years by law.

As you say, Mitsubishi had a good following and there would be many others in the same situation, so it stands to reason that there would be enough of a market to support independent mechanics and service centers. In 2008 when the last recession forced a lot of U.S. car brands to close they didn't immediately disappear. As a matter of fact, I still see Pontiacs and Saturns on the road daily and they seem to be in good shape -- good enough to pass state inspection.

As for the MG, I can't comment on them from any personal experience. I will say that here they don't have a stellar reputation, but we haven't been able to buy an MG since the original company folded in 1980. Again, if I let my pragmatism get the best of me, with manufacturing of anything, there are no guarantees that a company will be around to support a product for it's lifetime. Many of the mega-brands from 25years ago are just a footnote on a wikipedia page today.

Now, let's switch to a more psychoanalytical bent. Please lie down on the couch while i get my glasses and light up a cigar. :) Does the EC meet your expectations and budget? Does it offer you the self image you wish to portray, or at least how you wish others to perceive you while driving? Do you secretly (or openly) lust after a luxury or performance car that is out of your price range? Do you believe that when the manufacturer stops selling in your country that you will feel differently about your car? To you believe that an increased level of anxiety for service (or lack thereof) would tip the scales for product satisfaction? What is the airspeed of a coconut-laden swallow?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With regard to the coconut speed, that would depend on how hard the swallow flapped its wings.😄😄:D
The rest of what you say is academic in a way and very much down to ones own personal desires and circumstances. Though in general agree with what you say..
At the moment if I can overcome the poor Headlight problem, I will probably keep the Eclipse Cross because otherwise I really like it.

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
In the abstract, 4 wheels and motor that get's you from point A to point B is all anyone needs. The rest is comfort, convenience and style. Many people have personal identity tied to their vehicle so many decisions are made at an emotional level rather than financial or utilitarian. If the car, or the circumstances around it, make you uneasy, then it might be better to get rid of it even at a financial loss. But, if you get the same satisfaction each time to drive off, then by all means keep it. FWIW, I'd recommend the LED projector headlights, if you can get them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
In the abstract, 4 wheels and motor that get's you from point A to point B is all anyone needs. The rest is comfort, convenience and style. Many people have personal identity tied to their vehicle so many decisions are made at an emotional level rather than financial or utilitarian. If the car, or the circumstances around it, make you uneasy, then it might be better to get rid of it even at a financial loss. But, if you get the same satisfaction each time to drive off, then by all means keep it. FWIW, I'd recommend the LED projector headlights, if you can get them.
This is very true and well said. I feel "right"and happy in my EC. I finally enjoy my SUV again, which I hadn't been feeling since my Murano back in. 2013. So I enjoy paying on a vehicle that I'm excited to drive versus the ones in the past that have just kind of been like "meh if it were to get into an accident I wouldn't care" as long as I was fine, whereas my EC id be very very sad.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks Lunatic, I'm waiting for the current lockdown situation to finish, which looks like going on until sometime in March, before deciding anything, and also will then address the headlight issue. Thanks for your recommendation though..
The other issue is whether it is morally correct to support a Chinees product, due to their countries human rights conduct of late, and that of the past, i,e, currently Hong Kong and treatment being dished out in some areas to minority religious groups within their population.
Quite like the look of the MG, but may look for something nearer home if I should decide to move on.
I have just found out that the current dealer has transferred the Mitsubishi operation to the far side of Glasgow now, with the current site becoming a full Honda Dealership, whereas before, it was a separate operations with separate staff for each franchise. and about !8/20miles from home.
The new location is over 30/35 miles away which is another issue to take into consideration. Whether at the old location they will still service Mitsubishi vehicles, I have yet to find out. Complications, Complications.
Just phoned the original dealer, and though they answered Honda, they are still selling and servicing Mitsubishi vehicles, though by the way they answered the phone, tells you all we need to know. Mitsubishi is on the way out.

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
Interesting that the dealer servicing the Mitsubishi's is a Honda dealership. I would have thought it would have been a Nissan or Renault. Think of it this way, moving the dealership 10/15 miles further down the road just means you get to drive your EC more. :D (y)

As far as supporting a Chinees (sic) company, considering our (U.S.) current state of political affairs, I think we're in no position to take the moral high ground and punish a company based on the country of origin's politics.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can confirm that the Mitsubishi Franchise is staying where it is for the time being. It turns out, strange as it may seem, to be their MG Franchise (Part of the same Group) on the same trading estate as my Mitsubishi dealer is, that is the one that has moved. So a false alarm over this news after all, which lessens the complication somewhat in the meantime.
You can all go back to sleep now. 😄

Reactions: Lunatic59

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Interesting that the dealer servicing the Mitsubishi's is a Honda dealership. I would have thought it would have been a Nissan or Renault. Think of it this way, moving the dealership 10/15 miles further down the road just means you get to drive your EC more. :D (y)

As far as supporting a Chinees (sic) company, considering our (U.S.) current state of political affairs, I think we're in no position to take the moral high ground and punish a company based on the country of origin's politics.
Yes, It functions as two separate dealerships, but with the 2 showrooms joined together, although two different entrances. At the rear of the premises there is a large workshop area, again where separate service technicians carryout service and repair work on the respective marques. It seems to run as two separate operations, but with
a General Manager overseeing both operations..

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Unfortunately Faiz, the Eclipse Cross PHEV when it comes out, will not be available in Britain, or in the rest of Europe.
They are continuing to sell the current range of cars here for the next 18 months or so, but as various models are replaced with new or updated models, these models will not be made available to our markets. Therefore Mitsubishi will disappear from Britain and all of the European Continent.
Why they made this decision goodness only knows.
I believe it is something to do with the group policy of the Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi Alliance setup. Mitsubishi are to concentrate on their far eastern markets and the Americas for the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just traded in my 2018 cross. The car was a champ. Sad to let it go. Just did a 3500 mile trek from Philly to Denver and back. Took US70 the whole way. I had the SEL trim with the touring package
The adaptive cruise was amazing.
New car doesn’t feel as classy and there are some trade offs. Kept my budget under 38k with as many options as the cross as possible. I’ll definitely miss the parking overlay with the cameras.

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
Just traded in my 2018 cross. The car was a champ. Sad to let it go. Just did a 3500 mile trek from Philly to Denver and back. Took US70 the whole way. I had the SEL trim with the touring package
The adaptive cruise was amazing.
New car doesn’t feel as classy and there are some trade offs. Kept my budget under 38k with as many options as the cross as possible. I’ll definitely miss the parking overlay with the cameras.
Was it a lease? Why'd you get rid of it? and what did you replace it with?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just been looking at a possible replacement for my Eclipse Cross as with Mitsubishi withdrawing from the British and European markets, I'm wondering if I should change now and minimise the financial loss, rather than waiting for another year or so. With the Mitsubishi range is still reasonably popular, now may be the time to make the move before loosing out financially, because the assumed of lack of aftersales support etc..
This is what I am looking at;- MG HS SUV | Car Models | MG Motor UK
Looks smart and roomy, but it is a Chinees who bought the rights to use the MG name, when MG Rover went into liquidation in 2005. The Mg range is still designed in Britain, or so it is said, but most are built in China.
A difficult decision. The Chinees bought part of the MG-Rover Factory in Birmingham and assemble some of their model range there, but not the HS.
Will have to give it a lot of thought.
If I were you, I would be torn myself as to what my decision ought to be. Someone imported one of those MG crossovers in my country and I can tell you, its not worth it. Resale value is not going to be its forte. So, if that's your option, keep the EC. If you're bent on changing out then the RAV4, CX5 and Forester are really nice options too. I think the CX5 and Forester are still built in Japan as well so reliability ought to be good. Also, the Mazda uses a conventional torque-converter automatic, not a CVT which is an absolute win for many. Your call!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was it a lease? Why'd you get rid of it? and what did you replace it with?
Not quite a lease but it was the best time to transfer the loan to a new car. 2018 SEL models are only worth about $15k if you are lucky. Only drove 25k miles and they were all good miles.
Went with a Subaru Forester touring model.
I thought the Cross was a great vehicle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sad, @Telferstr - but I understand completely. Having a Mitsubishi that can't get any service nor coverage nor parts from Mitsubishi itself, locally - I understand how you must feel. If you should get to that point when support isn't there anymore, will it be too late?

If you do decide to switch, I highly recommend you look into Mazda. The CX-5s are nice, the CX-30s are very well equipped for being the compact of the bunch. I regret to admit this, but when I travel (before COVID, that is), I used to seek out Outlanders as rentals. These days, I seek out Mazdas. Of all the creature comforts - the adaptive cruise control is to die for.

Have a test drive and see for yourself. It might just spoil you too much.

Oh... and either have 6 physical gears ;)

Reactions: Telferstr

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks slippercream maybe do that just when Lockdown finishes. I note they are quite good looking cars also, and there are a good number on the roads in Britain.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts