Eclipse Cross Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I head on a 2.25 hour trip most weeks (4.5 hour round trip). I spend 95 percent of that on the interstate, so no stopping or braking for the most part.
Just a straight drive. And I am getting increasingly annoyed that my adaptive cruise control shuts off at least 3 times each way. The message that the FCM radar is blocked comes up and the cruise shuts off. I then set the regular cruise control until anywhere from 5 to 25 min the fcm light goes off and i can resume the adaptive cruise. It then will shut off again after a varied amount of time. I don't understand why this keeps happening. I car has been clean and it's been dirty, is been night time and day time and dusk and dawn and going north or going south, and nothing seems to matter, the stupid radar gets "blocked" every time. Anyone else having these issues? Or know of a fix or something to try?

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sorry Bertha, can't really help. My car has cruise control with speed setting etc., but not the adaptive element. Maybe the adaptive lens, if located in the front grill, gets a haze build up on it or something, and needs a clean now and then. Hopefully someone in the know will be along who can assist. Can understand how it could be annoying.
Trust you all in the USA and elsewhere, are keeping safe and following in the Self Isolating Rules etc.

·
Super Moderator
271 Posts
I've only had that happen to me once. It was at dusk during a heavy wet snow that accumulated quite a bit of slush on the front bumper. I just assumed it was blocked. It's never happened since.

Since what you describe sounds pretty random, the fact that the warning comes on and then goes off and then comes back on would indicate either a short between the sensor and the ECM, or there is something physically moving around. Maybe the sensor mount is loose, or there is a bit of debris under the bumper cover near the sensor.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hey Beth,

The ACC has the radar unit attached to the bumper behind the grille (see pic of mine (circled) with bumper removed) but it has substantial retainers so it may not be that which is the problem. You can remove the top plastic valance above this area by pulling out the securing plastic scrivets and get access to the unit visually and you can also check the security of the cable which attaches on the right side as seen in the pic. Check the front of the unit to ensure it is clean - give it a wipe with a wet cloth just in case. Then wiggle the connector to ensure it is seated securely and correctly.

The cameras and lasers in the windscreen also make up part of the ACC system though your error distinctly shows the radar unit icon and not the camera in the error as noted on the attached manual page. Last note there is to report it to Mitsubishi as the unit may be faulty.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it happened twice today. I guess it could be because they are not busy roads, but if that is the case I am not pleased with that.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hi Beth,

I did a 400 km round trip today and used ACC for the majority of the journey. ACC never quit once. I love using it as I can drive in a queue of country road traffic and not need to touch the brake or accelerator for much of it. It gets to be a bit of a pain when on the open freeway and you come up to a slower car. Takes my brain a second or two to say change lanes and go around you idiot. I would suggest a visit to the dealer service department as this doesn't sound right at all...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here is from my last drive. I left my destination at 5330 on the odometer. 22 miles later the ACC shut off and the blocked radar appears. It was dark, early morning, roads were clear, then 33 miles later the blocked radar clears and i resume ACC. Then 72 miles later the radar says it's blocked and it shuts off again. Then 10 miles later the massage clears and I can resume ACC. By now it's light out, with clear roads.(I don't know why the photos of the road conditions won't post the right direction)

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Any luck in sorting out the ACC as yet Bertha. Seems a strange problem .
Just wondering if something is heating up and when cooled down it makes the connection again. One for your dealer to sort out. Under warranty of course.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, haven't figured it out yet. I'm waiting on parts to fix the fuel smell from somewhere? And once those are in I'll bring it into the shop and ask them about the radar. On my drive on Monday it only turned off once and it was as I was on the busiest part of the roads (interstate vs country road) so not sure why its doing it. It's very annoying. I will check back once I've seen the dealer. It's obviously harder to get into the shop now with the state of things, but I'm working on it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Can understand why it is difficult to get a slot at the moment, but hopefully they will manage to sort it for you. Take good care.
My car is due its annual service in May, but unable to make an appointment at present, so will just have to wait and see how things develop.
Our lockdown was extended by our Government by a further 3 weeks yesterday, which takes us well into May before a further review takes place then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this happens to my 2019 EC SEL it was so annoying. Took in for them to look at it and they told me it is because of the heat coming off of the road!? That it heat literally blocks it. I live in Las Vegas and yes it gets hot but come on. If that is the issue then adjust it. They claimed they updated my computer and it should be fixed. Waiting to see with the next hot months coming up

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had this happens to my 2019 EC SEL it was so annoying. Took in for them to look at it and they told me it is because of the heat coming off of the road!? That it heat literally blocks it. I live in Las Vegas and yes it gets hot but come on. If that is the issue then adjust it. They claimed they updated my computer and it should be fixed. Waiting to see with the next hot months coming up
Well I live in North Dakota and it's been cold as heck for the last 4 months. And i ignored the first couple months it was happening because I was driving in snow and figured there was ice build up but we are into spring now. Although, yesterday it did not happen for once. Made it the entire 200 mile drive. I called for service and they told me they saw this once before and think they replaced the entire radar. Planning to go in when service is due in 1000 miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Speaking of heat. Has anyone else had the AC not keep up to the heat? When I was in Vegas last year i think it was like 115 or so outside and I was still sweating balls in the car with the AC on full. Was thinking about taking it in and complaining. Im pretty sure my Licoln MKZ would of been fine in that heat (even though its a bigger V6 engine).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The dealer couldn't find anything wrong but told me to call if it happens again and they will replace the radar. I haven't driven out of town with is since so nothing to report so far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts