Eclipse Cross Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Eclipse Cross SEL that I bought brand new in July 2018. At the time I purchased it it did not have the longitudinal roof rails or the cross track roof bars. This was an option that I wanted (I have a kayak I want roof load) but there were no models on the lot equipped with the rails. I was informed by the salesman, the parts department of the dealership, the printed brochure of the model, and the on-line specifications of the model that it would be possible to add the rails later at a cost of approximately $600. However, because the Eclipse Cross was so new the supply system had not yet caught up with the demand and there were no rails available at that time. Everybody expected that the rails would be available in a couple of months at which time I could come back and purchase them and have them installed after sale. Good news, good sale experience, happy customer and new Eclipse Cross owner. The salesman, who is a great guy that I did and do trust without qualification, even called me back in a couple of weeks to tell me that he hadn't forgotten me but that the roof rails still hadn't arrived. Still good.
Now for the bad news. When I checked back with the dealership in January I discovered that the salesman and the parts department had both been misinformed and the brochure and on-line information were both either inaccurate or misleading. Latest word was that for the 2018 model year the roof rails were only available as a factory installed option and then only if you ordered the Touring package for the SEL (a $1900 additional option) which also included a 360 degree proximity sensor and warning system which I didn't care about and a sunroof which I most emphatically did not want. Since then, through further research, I have found that roof rails are an available option on all versions of the 2019 Eclipse Cross and does not require the Touring package.
After that long winded preamble, here's my question. Can I get roof rails installed on my 2018 Eclipse Cross? Are the 2019 roof rails compatible with the 2018 model? Anybody know? Who can I contact?
Thanks in advance for any help/info the community can provide.

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To mtgtnt: Thank you for the information. If I am reading the websites that you sent me correctly, the cost for all the parts is over $500 for each side rail and the page seems to say it is only if you have the sun roof (I do not). Good information but not exactly what I was hoping to learn.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The cost seems high, but I think there is no dealer option anywhere.

Also ignore the sunroof part. The rails are the same with or without. To confirm email the site. You may be able to work a deal on a set.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To mtgtnt: Thank you for the information. If I am reading the websites that you sent me correctly, the cost for all the parts is over $500 for each side rail and the page seems to say it is only if you have the sun roof (I do not). Good information but not exactly what I was hoping to learn.
I am on the same boat with the only difference that I have 2018 SE. The salesman promised to get me rails installed. They even ordered the parts mentioned above but I would not fit SE. Check if you have mounting points available by removing the rubber cover for the rain guards and see if you have the U shaped piece with the thread under it. Mine does not have it so there is no way to get rails installed. I keep looking for the aftermarket solution but it is not available yet. I got in touch with all major manufacturers (Thule, Rola, Yakima, Rhino, Inno) and none of them have solution as of now. I keep checking every 2-3 weeks as I need rails badly (camping a lot) but as of now all I could do is to get a hitch installed with the basket to carry my camping gears. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
How about those portable roof rack system?
The ones that clamps to the edge of the roof, and does not require a rail.
Any thoughts?
I know Yakima and Thule has some.🤔

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also wondering if there are any updates to this, or if anyone has found a good workable solution. I also purchased an LE model like @SergeyS, and was told at the time of purchase that it would be no problem to have OEM racks installed. Come to find out, there's not even a suitable aftermarket. I also contacted Thule, Rhino, Yakima, and Malone. Malone has the Versarail which seems to work, but I purchased the thing and it seems like a PITA - cannot be left on the vehicle, and will cause interior water damage if you're caught in the rain with it on. Foam blocks and ratchet straps provide similar problems and aren't something I feel safe with on interstates over long distances. Every solution I've found seems like a hassle.

Similar experience where my sales and parts people at the dealership were really awesome, but feel really screwed over by Mits as they definitely gave my local dealership the impression the racks wouldn't be an issue. A trailer isn't a viable option for me, as I do a lot of kayaking within semi-urban city parks that don't allow for parking with one. Being able to easily haul a kayak was my only necessity when purchasing a vehicle, and now I have a 10-month-old car that's depreciated 50% of its value that I'm stuck with. Mostly just venting in this post, thanks for listening.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Would this be what you are looking for. This item is listed in the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Accessories UK site.
There are a whole range of accessories available as follows:- Eclipse Cross Accessories | Mitsubishi Motors
which includes additional items for roof bar additions i,e. Cycle clamps etc.
There must be a similar range available from your local dealer in the USA, or any in other country where Mitsubishi have operational outlets.
Contact Address for Mitsubishi North America is :- Contact Mitsubishi Motors North America Maybe an e-mail, letter or phone call of complaint, would get you some action!!!
and unearth the accessories you require. The item/s you require must be available in the USA, and it would do no harm to let HQ know that they do have dissatisfied customers, due to the lack of follow through, by some of their own appointed Dealerships.
Don't let the laziness of a Dealer spoil your ownership of your purchase bombpops, and I'm sure a strong complaint to the HQ., will bring about the action to supply the goods you require, and then enable you to enjoy your Eclipse Cross to its full extent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would this be what you are looking for. This item is listed in the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Accessories UK site.
There are a whole range of accessories available as follows:- Eclipse Cross Accessories | Mitsubishi Motors
which includes additional items for roof bar additions i,e. Cycle clamps etc.
There must be a similar range available from your local dealer in the USA, or any in other country where Mitsubishi have operational outlets.
Contact Address for Mitsubishi North America is :- Contact Mitsubishi Motors North America Maybe an e-mail, letter or phone call of complaint, would get you some action!!!
and unearth the accessories you require. The item/s you require must be available in the USA, and it would do no harm to let HQ know that they do have dissatisfied customers, due to the lack of follow through, by some of their own appointed Dealerships.
Don't let the laziness of a Dealer spoil your ownership of your purchase bombpops, and I'm sure a strong complaint to the HQ., will bring about the action to supply the goods you require, and then enable you to enjoy your Eclipse Cross to its full extent.
Appreciate the response. Unfortunately those won’t fit the LE models, and I’ve already lodged complaints with Mits North America. They told me to take it up with the dealership :(

·
Registered
329 Posts
Guys, a lot of the EC parts are Chinese in manufacture. I think this is what you are looking for:

These rails are listed as coming with all the fittings required for installation. US$124 plus around US$39 for shipping. They are listed as aluminium in construction and silver is colour. Wouldn't be too hard to get them repainted in black to suit your needs. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys, a lot of the EC parts are Chinese in manufacture. I think this is what you are looking for:

These rails are listed as coming with all the fittings required for installation. US$124 plus around US$39 for shipping. They are listed as aluminium in construction and silver is colour. Wouldn't be too hard to get them repainted in black to suit your needs. Hope this helps...

View attachment 895

View attachment 896

View attachment 897
I’m unsure if it’s the same for the original poster who has an SEL, but for those of us with LE models there is nowhere for these bars to be attached. The part would have to be welded to the vehicle, which won’t be reasonably priced to have professionally done. I’m working with the dealership to buy mine back now (at a huge loss) because there is not a work around to this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m unsure if it’s the same for the original poster who has an SEL, but for those of us with LE models there is nowhere for these bars to be attached. The part would have to be welded to the vehicle, which won’t be reasonably priced to have professionally done. I’m working with the dealership to buy mine back now (at a huge loss) because there is not a work around to this.
I feel your pain as its been over a year since I’m trying to find a solution. So far I installed hitch and bought hitch basket for my camping trips. Not as convenient as roof rack but at least something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To all guys trying to advise: we appreciate your response but it looks more like you guys did not even bother to read the entire post.
FYI, for 2018 EC (2017 in Europe) models ONLY SEL trim came with roof rails. Other trims did not have the mounting points so there is no way to install rails unless you weld them in which is the bad idea.

·
Registered
329 Posts
FYI, my reply post was aimed towards the OP of this thread as he had asked for options. I know it is some time since the OP posted and I didn't quote his post but the information, whilst not relevant to your situation, may assist others reading this thread and give them some options they did not know were available. Plus, I only stumbled upon this parts option at the time of posting. Unfortunately, Mitsubishi America's method of model availability has always been designed to maximise profit for the company with overpriced optional packages whereas the other Mitsubishi geographies have models which clearly differentiate the available trim and accessory levels in the brochures and only minor accessory add-ons are listed like tow bars, headlight protectors and carpet mats etc. Sadly, not all replies in a thread may be relevant to your situation and I can identify with your frustrations but don't shoot the messengers. That's the purpose of this forum to share information and ideas...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts