Eclipse Cross Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Check my post in this thread earlier where I linked to a set available on AliExpress. They are silver in colour but should be able to be painted if needed. Alternately, the attached pic shows the parts diagram and all the parts required for the OEM bars. Check with a dealer as they may be available as a complete kit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Zarbs,

I think you may be the most active member on here. I saw the ones on AliExpress as you posted.

Are you really in OZ or the US??

The thing that worries me about the Ali ones is not the colour (as you would write :)) but the whole "knock off" / quality thing. They might be great, but they might be junk. Some of the Chinese ones even state they are attached with double sided tape. I don't think the kayaks would stay on long at 70 mph.

I have sourced part number MZ576707EX from US based Mitsubishi parts dealers. This includes both L and R rails and all the installation bolts/hardware. Best price with shipping is $275.00 USD.

Now I need to start looking for some cross bars to make this whole thing happen. If I can come in under $600 for all the kit, then I'll order everything.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes I'm in Oz but the US flag sometimes shows on my profile in posts. No-one can explain why. Good luck with the install.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Found these in Houston Texas and they are made in Europe. Pretty cheap for the pair. Looks like I may be in business. I'll continue to post here as this project develops.

Maybe my US
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire
flag will switch to Oz for reasons nobody will be able to explain :cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mitsubishi OEM roof rails and a set of aftermarket cross bars have arrived. If the weather holds, installation this weekend is possible.
More than one parts warehouse told me the OEM cross bars that Mitsubishi specify for EC do not properly fit the OEM rails. One in particular said they had so many returns and unhappy customers that they now warn people not to order them to avoid the disappointment and restocking fees. I'm hoping the aftermarket set does the job.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Step One of the process is to remove the long plastic pieces that cover the rail mounts on each side of the roof. I did not take pics of that. All you need is a trim remover kit which is something that can be purchased online or locally. It's easy; the two most tenacious connectors are the ones at the front end and back end of each cover. They take a bit more force, but don't worry they will pop loose eventually. Then you end up with this:

At this point the Mitsubishi (Mitsu) instructions say the front most clip on each side has to be removed "with a trim tool". I tried using mine but since it is plastic I felt it was probably going to ruin the tool. So I grabbed a sturdy small flat blade screwdriver to get things started.

Once I got the screwdriver head under the clip a few mm, I switched over to the trim tool and popped them off.

The clip is held on to the roof by double sided tape and the side that is attached to the metal of the roof must have some sort of epoxy adhesive. Used trim tool to scrape off the attached tape:

Mitsu then says to remove adhesive (epoxy) residue down to bare metal. Used Xacto blade to remove material:

Mitsu then says clean surface and apply "touch up paint to bare metal". I went a step further and primed the area first. Then I applied two coats of some red touch up paint for our old Toyota. It's a bit darker, but doesn't matter because it will be hidden under the rails anyway:

After all the paint business dries you can set the rail on the roof and line up the bolt holes. There are three at the front and back end of each rail. There is one more recessed bolt on each end of the rail. There is a pic of one of them below:

The bolts are 10mm and need to be torqued to specification. I used a .25 inch drive torque wrench. To ensure safety a torque wrench is required for this job. Over or under tightened bolts could be dangerous.

After the bolts are done it only takes seconds to install the front and rear end caps. Just line them up with the rail, give a small push towards the middle of the rail then press down to clip in place. The recessed bolts have round covers that snap into place:

Left side done:

Finished job. Both rails on and crossbars mounted:

·
Super Moderator
445 Posts
Thanks for the detail. They look like they've been there all along.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. I'm pleased with the results. That kit is way less expensive than buying the individual rails some folks have seen. Came with bolts and good illustrated instructions.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Came with bolts and good illustrated instructions.
Yes, I've found the Mitsi parts very cost effective and the instructions are concise and easy to read/follow. My most recent install was the OEM nudge bar sold in Australia.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Do you have the towing hitch installed? I've seen the front Roo bars on the web. Not in the US catalog tho.
Yes, I have the tow hitch/bar. I tow a 7' x 4' cage trailer regularly. The nudge bar I've only seen in Australia. The latest versions for most Mitsi vehicle now have an option of an LED lightbar in the nudge bar now where I had to fit an after market lightbar in mine though it wasn't a big issue. Because of the front seniors and radar etc. normal driving lights can't be fitted as they break the sensor fields.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Step One of the process is to remove the long plastic pieces that cover the rail mounts on each side of the roof. I did not take pics of that. All you need is a trim remover kit which is something that can be purchased online or locally. It's easy; the two most tenacious connectors are the ones at the front end and back end of each cover. They take a bit more force, but don't worry they will pop loose eventually. Then you end up with this:

At this point the Mitsubishi (Mitsu) instructions say the front most clip on each side has to be removed "with a trim tool". I tried using mine but since it is plastic I felt it was probably going to ruin the tool. So I grabbed a sturdy small flat blade screwdriver to get things started.

Once I got the screwdriver head under the clip a few mm, I switched over to the trim tool and popped them off.

The clip is held on to the roof by double sided tape and the side that is attached to the metal of the roof must have some sort of epoxy adhesive. Used trim tool to scrape off the attached tape:

Mitsu then says to remove adhesive (epoxy) residue down to bare metal. Used Xacto blade to remove material:

Mitsu then says clean surface and apply "touch up paint to bare metal". I went a step further and primed the area first. Then I applied two coats of some red touch up paint for our old Toyota. It's a bit darker, but doesn't matter because it will be hidden under the rails anyway:

After all the paint business dries you can set the rail on the roof and line up the bolt holes. There are three at the front and back end of each rail. There is one more recessed bolt on each end of the rail. There is a pic of one of them below:

The bolts are 10mm and need to be torqued to specification. I used a .25 inch drive torque wrench. To ensure safety a torque wrench is required for this job. Over or under tightened bolts could be dangerous.

After the bolts are done it only takes seconds to install the front and rear end caps. Just line them up with the rail, give a small push towards the middle of the rail then press down to clip in place. The recessed bolts have round covers that snap into place:

Left side done:

Finished job. Both rails on and crossbars mounted:

Do you have a 2018 EC SE?

·
Registered
18 Posts
My EC is a 2019 ES. I know the 2018 ES did not have the mounting brackets. If you have 2018 SE, you should check under the trim for brackets. Let us know what you find under there.
The trim only needs to be lifted a little to see. The rail brackets have a bolt hole in the middle of each bracket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I just ordered a set of factory cross rails and lifted the rubbers up a little on my LE. I find it hard to believe they aren’t under there! Now I have to see if I can find the brackets somewhere

21 - 40 of 45 Posts