Hi guys I'm new to the forum from Asia.
My EC came with the entry-level factory headunit same as the ES grade, which I am trying to upgrade into the SDA unit as suggested above.
Before breaking the bank for the SDA unit (been searching through eBay and some salvage sites, no luck so far),
I'd appreciate if someone could share more experience on how to get the entire thing connected.
Got some research done myself but I'm not sure if it's as simple as plug-and-play.
Please correct me if any of the following is wrong.
1. Parts Required
- SDA Unit
- Touchpad (#8616A077) - Is this necessary? Since the central console next to the parking brake and gear knob doesn't have the space for this, it seems to be a large hassle to get this installed. Would there be anything more than a warning message on the SDA display everytime during startup if the touchpad is simply not installed?
- Dual USB Port and Wires (#8718A042, #8755A168) - Are the ports for the SDA strictly divided into one for smartphone connection and the other for USB media? Any cheaper alternatives as these are usually not available via salvage sites?
- Frame - (#8002c336xa) - Guess the central frame sitting just underneath the head-unit (which holds the A/C outlet) needs to be changed as well, otherwise the dimension doesn't match. Can we just get one of the common aftermarket carbon fibre cover that sticks onto the original frame and have the hole covered instead?
Had a quick search online but wasn't able to check the wires connected behind the original headunit, therefore I'm not exactly sure what I've got with my current unit.
Besides the dual USB output and HDMI output, these are the things that needs to be connected to the SDA off my mind:
- Audio Output - Should be simple plug-and-play
- Factory Rear View Camera w/ 360° Display - Should be simple plug-and-play(?)
- Steering Wheel Controls - Should be simple plug-and-play
- Voice Input - If any?
- Touchpad - How are they connected? Most of the 2nd hand touchpads doesn't come with any wirings at all.
- ETAC / ODB / Vehicle Data - Not sure about this one, any connections as the SDA unit seems to be able to adjust certain vehicle settings? Or are they the same as the original headunit?
In short, do I need any extra wiring connections besides those originally fitted for my factory headunit? Or would there be any features on the SDA being limited?
Thanks for everyone's time and advice. Really appreciated! 🙏
If I could make this work somehow it would just make my EC so much better. It's just sad the SDA aren't even available as an option in my market.