Eclipse Cross Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yeah, searched and found the same info. They're installed here mainly by Boy Racers who want the sound more than anything to show off their rides. One of the forum members is into this sort of upgrade but he hasn't posted in some time. He did post that he had installed a larger intercooler from Amazon that had improved turbo performance. The mod required modified piping to be installed but the intercooler fitted without issue.

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
I see some modded cars on the road but they are usually Honda's or Subaru's. Unfortunately with the way traffic is in the eastern U.S., the only way they are going from 0 to 60 in under 5 minutes is to drive off a bridge. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been looking for quiet sometime for owners who has done this. Im not planning on increasing the power of my car, i just want to hear the sound of the BoV just a little bit louder. :) I hope someone can help me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Usually just a more open airbox/intake setup helps with that too. I kept the stock BOV on my evo x. Just changing the intake and ditching the factory air box to a cone filter made it much louder. I haven’t even looked to see if there is a bov on the EC.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Usually just a more open airbox/intake setup helps with that too. I kept the stock BOV on my evo x. Just changing the intake and ditching the factory air box to a cone filter made it much louder. I haven’t even looked to see if there is a bov on the EC.
THere is a BoV. I believe they call it By-pass Valve as it is recirculating unlive the BoV 100% vent to atmosphere.
I have to give time to check so I can order the right one. Im planning on getting the 50/50..

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
whyyyy??? 😂
My first car was a 1962 VW Beetle with a 40 h.p. 1200cc air-cooled 4 cyl. engine. of the course of a couple years I put a modified intake manifold with a 2-barrel Holley carb, magnesium rocker arms and valve covers, tuned exhaust headers and a glass pack muffler, among other body modifications. Why? because it was fun and I thought it was cool (or whatever we called it back then ... hot, rad, tough, sick, groovy ;) ). I doubt it helped much with performance or power, but it was a huge cosmetic improvement and it sounded ... um ... louder. :D

There are many days I wish I still had that car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does anyone know what the recirculating valve/ blow off valve looks like in our cars? Does anyone have a pic? I’ve seen after market blow off valves mostly. Is the stock a lot different ? I’ll be honest kinda sucks I have my first turbo car and no woosh lmao. Even if I lost 2 horsepower because it’s not recirculating anymore as it’s designed too. Woooosssshhhh! Lol. Yes it’s childish and I’m pushing 40! Wooosh!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used a few different types on my Subaru wrx 2.0l i used to race. The only reason to replace is if you put a larger turbo they leak somehow
Even after I put a larger 16G turbo (Evo sized basically) i continued using the recirc valve by using a ballpeen hammer to tap the top on it in essentially shortening the spring mechanism in there. And it worked but not ideal.
Anyway, the best was the HKS super sequential, coolest sound and it still recirculated some of the air.

Other disadvantages are you'll have a momentary rich mixture every shift as metered air is vented to the atmosphere, and your turbo won't stay spooled up.

Looks like its integral aww I wanted to hear the results if you tried it.

The EC uses a turbo in a way different from performance models anyway, its way small all quick spool and low-midrange torque.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think I recall reading from the manual that the boost level on the Cross is something ridiculous like upwards of 20psi. That was surprising, considering you really don't feel the boost that much. In any case, hearing that purge through a BOV would be great --- if everything in the piping weren't all rubberized and baffled by design.

I am curious if anyone has actually tried custom-building an intake for the car yet. Because you should hear quite a bit of that resonance pinging through metal compared to rubber and plastic piping.

No need to replace a BOV, if you're not changing boost levels, or need different springs to accommodate for those higher boost levels (and hence boost leak). That's just asking for trouble. Purge sounds are purge sounds. You want something different --- try to plug in a turkey call in-line :)

An oldie but always a goodie...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just for fun, try this ---

Uncouple the portion of your intake that's got the filter box (after the MAF sensor), and twist that segment of piping upward to have the mouth of the box facing forward, toward you. No filter.
Then have someone else rev the vehicle to 50% throttle, then 100%. Then release. See how that sounds.

I suspect you'll get some auditory satisfaction there, however minor. And hear whatever little you can from that BOV/BPV.

That's what you can expect when you replace a factory intake on a turbocharged engine. It might be what you're looking for.
You can build one for relatively cheap. Plus, you wouldn't even need to spend any extra on getting the car tuned on some odd piggyback --- just to get tickle your ear hairs when you accelerate and release on pressure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey slipper and anyone else lol. You've probably heard this somewhere before but one of the reasons you don't feel the 20psi ( well you do probably in the respectable torque curve of our tiny 1.5l).
But there is no getting around the small turbo, still understanding that at lower and mid rpms the turbo can still be efficient at high boost, its overall volume is small compared to a larger turbo.
So what happens is you can have a larger turbo on the same engine and make more power at less boost pressures. Because there is more air and its probably cooler and denser on top of that.
With twinscroll and variable vain technology being used now in Porsche and even Ferrari now, it seems like manufacturers get the best of both worlds.

Anyway I need to get old Evo that I can work on, we all do lol.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah, that compressor housing is as small as a clenched fist. In fact, the turbine (hot side) housing is larger than the compressor! Which says a lot. It would be a great candidate for a step-up system (good pick-up for bottom-end torque), but... yeah, it's meant to compensate for the lack of displacement.

As for twin scroll and all that mid-2000s tech :D this isn't present in the Cross either. Single profile runner. It's the same economy IHI turbo unit you'd find in Subies. A far cry from the MHI TF035 turbo found in the CZT / Ralliart Colt.

No matter that it's smaller than the workhorse old TD04 design, it's still larger, and more capable than the one equipped in the Cross!

·
Registered
188 Posts
These pictures make me laugh. It's like walking into a men's shower room and seeing a dude with huge balls, and a lil' smokey.
There's more metal bulge for the flange and piping in/outlets than there are for the actual scroll housings and wheels.

It's almost like, "why bother"? I mean, what's each impeller diameter? About 1.5", tops? That can't possibly push a lot of air, at all.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well for anybody that cares after a few emails back and forth and some pics sent . I’m told this BOV appears it would work but has NOT been tested for our cars. But the guy there said it should work assuming there’s enough clearance. Also it doesn’t seem like it’s gonna be easy to get to. Should be easy enough to change out more just getting in there and getting the screws in and out will be a pain I assume.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts