Eclipse Cross Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mitsu Eclipse Cross. To start, the clutch needs to be fully depressed. OK, say my battery is flat, no jump leads about. I need to bump start.. how. If I let clutch up when rolling... nothing. Is there a switch somewhere to disable this (silly) feature) ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
What kind of ignition do you have? Keyed or keyless? With the keyless I'd think a push (bump) start wouldn't be possible. I would think it would be much better to carry a battery jump pack.

·
Registered
161 Posts
In the old days, the only thing the ignition switch did was close the circuit between the alternator and coil so that a simply turning the crankshaft would energize the ignition system. This was simple to do by putting the car in gear and pushing it.

Modern cars require power to activate all kinds of sensors and relays simply to run normally. Trying to energize the electronics enough -- especially with a completely flat battery -- by turning the engine would be next to impossible if you ask me. And if the battery were completely discharged, I doubt you'd be able to get it started anyway. Most times the ECM (s) would need to be reset.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Always carry my jump starter pack in the car. No reason not to when they are so inexpensive. Allows you to start the car through the 12v accessories (cigarette lighter) slot if its raining or direct to the battery in fine weather. Also comes with a myriad of extra attachments for running other powered devices.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Always carry my jump starter pack in the car. No reason not to when they are so inexpensive. Allows you to start the car through the 12v accessories (cigarette lighter) slot if its raining or direct to the battery in fine weather. Also comes with a myriad of extra attachments for running other powered devices.
You are well organised Zarbs.:smile_big:

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's all my years in the military running vehicles that you depended on for your (and your crews) life. Overtrained...

When working for British Coal we did more 'preventative maintenance' than breakdown repairs to ensure things worked. Still got the occasional breakdowns but that was due to the conditions we worked in.

My 1952 Traction Avant gets the same treatment and my modern cars often get a service before it's actually due, battery has a 4 year guarantee, then it gets changed at 4 years whether it seems OK or not.
Oh and I still have 'personal' car breakdown cover, just in case, so I won't get stuck anywhere.....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Oh and I still have 'personal' car breakdown cover, just in case, so I won't get stuck anywhere.....
Yes. Mitsubishi Australia dangle the free roadside assistance carrot to get you to service through their dealers which I have availed myself of many times but have never had the need to call on it (touch wood)...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts