Eclipse Cross Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a manual Eclipse Crossover for 6 months, from day one I stalled when pulling away from junctions and it was even worse reversing particularly up hill. I eventually went to the garage to be told that this was down to the setup of how the power was designed for the car and was normal. Is it normal? my wife stalls as well after 6 months. The only solution is to rev the car highly and pull away like a boy racer.:sad:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can't say I know much about the design of the clutch, but the idea of having a manual transmission is that you CONTROL clutch engagement and shifts, as opposed to a TCU doing so with an auto.
Anyway, obviously apples to oranges, but...

I would ask that shop if there's a way to adjust the clutch cable. If you're stalling unnecessarily, it may be that your clutch is disengaging abnormally - which could mean a loose clutch cable. And hopefully that's the only reason for that.
Because matching "setup of how power was designed" (my interpretation being "throttle match") is only really applicable to A/Ts. Like you said, it's the driver that compensates for that clutch engagement to match the accelerator engagement in a M/T.

I would, of course, have your Service Dept check it out to see if anything's abnormal. You might even be surprised to find that, perhaps, it's something else that's causing your engine to stall. Like, perhaps, a dirty intake, or corroded terminals (which affects throttle response to a small degree... remember, we're all Drive-By-Wire these days).
Why not use that warranty as much as you can, as opposed to paying for someone to diagnose it ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Stalling

I have had a manual Eclipse Crossover for 6 months, from day one I stalled when pulling away from junctions and it was even worse reversing particularly up hill. I eventually went to the garage to be told that this was down to the setup of how the power was designed for the car and was normal. Is it normal? my wife stalls as well after 6 months. The only solution is to rev the car highly and pull away like a boy racer.:sad:
Hi Trofarth,
I know exactly what you mean. I have a slight slope to reverse up onto the road and can stall the engine quite easily.
Getting used to it now and like you give the engine extra revs to making sure to avoid a stall.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi, I had my car in for its annual service and mentioned this stall problem to the service receptionist, and said I believe there is a software update to cure this problem with manual gearbox models.
I'm delighted to report that the software update was applied, and the problem has been cured completely. As it was, I was very pleased with the car anyway, and had compensated to overcome the stall problem by giving the engine extra revs when moving off, to avoid any possible stall situation. This action is now not necessary, and the car is an absolute pleasure to drive.

Reactions: Rıfat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
i have asked my dealer about this software update as i have same issue with stalling, as yet they have not come back to me. do you have any details on the software update or could you tell me which dealer you went to in order to get it please?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi Trevster,
My dealer is located in Linwood. Paisley, Scotland, which about 12 months ago joined the Arnold Clark Group of companies. Fortunately the same staff from the previous owners were retained, and still work for the Mitsubishi franchise.
When I mentioned the problem at the service reception, they seemed to know about the issue and would check the car and try rectify the problem.
I'm not sure if there is a service bulletin for the issue, but understand there is a software update, but whatever they did certainly cured the problem completely.
Hope you can get your dealer to sort the annoying condition for you, but if not, let me know, and I will see if I can get more information for you from my Dealership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, thanks for the response. After contacting mitsubishi UK they confirmed there is a rewrite that should help. My car is booked in for the update next week, I'll post the outcome once I get the car back. Thanks again.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi, thanks for the response. After contacting mitsubishi UK they confirmed there is a rewrite that should help. My car is booked in for the update next week, I'll post the outcome once I get the car back. Thanks again.
That's good and fingers crossed the problem will be sorted. Good to hear that Mitsubishi UK responded to you and confirmed there is a rewrite to correct the fault. I can assure you that it works and makes driving the car so much better to drive, instead of having to concentrate when moving off, especially on hill starts etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I collected my car from dealer few days ago and it drives like a different car. Apparently the dealer fitted a modified clutch cover under warranty. before it went in it was stalling at times and you could feel each gear when changing up, now gear changes are smoother and i haven't stalled it yet so much more confident when pulling across traffic.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ah!! A good result, Hopefully they also applied the upgraded software for the stall problem as well.. I have found mine a different car also, after the software upgrade for the throttle control.
Now you can thoroughly enjoy your car without the extra concentration needed before for the throttle control, when moving off or at roundabouts etc.:LOL:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts