Eclipse Cross Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have a 12/18 EC that will not hold cruise control spend on undulating roads.If set to say 110 it will slow going down a gentle hill to say 94, stay there on the up hill for a few seconds then race to 118 well over the set speed setting.This is when the radar cruise is not picking up vehicles close by. The other problem is the emergency braking ,when set on cruise control it will activate the brakes by its self when you are merging from two lanes to one lane.It seams to pick up the vehicles coming from the opposite direction and jams on the brakes.Both these problems have been raised at the selling dealer who says that they are not a problem.No so good with a truck on your tale, location is Victoria Australia

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is a software update for the ACC/FCM on this model. Have you had yours done? If you have been to dealer for service, then they would/should have done it automatically.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, it was serviced 6 weeks ago,i did ask about any update and they said there was none,i will ask today, thank you

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hope you get it sorted out okay Wassa, not a good situation at all. Must admit I have not used the cruise control all that much these days, as I find it more comfortable to just drive normally and be in control of things.
Please let us know how you get on and whether we should all be concerned about this issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, i spent an hour with the service manager and watched him connect the lap top to the car.All updates were done and showed no issues.He did note that the issues i have are covered in the instruction manual and make it impossible to get them fixed as it says things like don,t use cruise on hilly roads as it won,t be able to maintain speed and the same with emergency braking as that many thinks noted affect the outcome.Strange that the Mazda cx5 set up which i drove for a weekend had None of these issues., cheers from Oz

·
Registered
26 Posts
If my car did that (emergency brake for no reason) I'd be thinking everyday to get rid of car. Forget updates.

I was looking around the engine bay yesterday and underneath the car and it did appear like some effort was made, torque marks everywhere, hopefully for quality control. It's surprising to hear shit like this.

·
Super Moderator
222 Posts
I've seen some of this, but not so extreme. And, it's usually on a rainy day which seems to confuse the radar/camera for both lane drift and collision sensing -- I would assume the adaptive cruise would be equally affected if I used it more often. In my neighborhood there is a road that is fairy straight that dips and takes a left bend right as I approach my turn. This is a residential neighborhood so people park on the street and if anyone is parked on that inside curve, I almost always will see the BRAKE warning light as I approach.

From a technical standpoint, it's doing exactly what it was designed for. I am travelling in a straight line and approaching a stationary object. The car doesn't "see" the upcoming curve, or the approaching decline so it thinks I am headed for a collision. If I kept straight I would hit the car, but I follow the curve to the left and the light goes out. It never engages the brakes, just issues the warning.

On rainy days, there are a few hills that have triggered the brake warning as I approach the bottom. I suppose the road surface is more reflective to the radar when wet and the car thinks the bottom of the hill (and subsequent rise) is actually an obstacle in front of me, until the road levels out enough so the reflection is no longer there. I could see adaptive cruise doing the same thing and slowing you down when there is no one in front of you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts