Eclipse Cross Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Does any happen to know if it's possible for service personel to adjust CVT so that it would use a little bit higher revs when using D position? Sometimes I feel that engine tries to use too low revs and it's generating low vibrations especially in cruise mode about 80km/h? I would not like to use manual shifting. I had before Subaru XV 2.0 and I guess the bigger engine made it run more smoothly on low revs.

Regards

Cazzy

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts
Hi Cazzy, Welcome to the forums. :)

My instinct tells me that regular dealer service wouldn't have the ability to adjust shift positions, but you might want to have them look at it anyway because my EC definitely tend to err on the high side of the revs. Also check to see if you're running in ECO mode, which will drop down the shift points for economy.

The Subaru XV 2.0 has a larger engine (2.0L) but it delivers the exact same horsepower as the Eclipse Cross (152hp). More importantly, the Eclipse Cross delivers considerably more low end torque than the Subaru boxer engine, so in theory, the Eclipse Cross should be smoother ... unless you have the diesel version.

·
Registered
121 Posts
No, the dealer can only reflash either an ECU or TCU with official updates. They won't adjust anything manually. That's not what they do at dealerships.
The best option to consider at this point really is to improve throttle response by ditching the factory wheels and going with a much lighter one.

I concur with the general sentiment that the programming against this CVT in the Cross is horrendous. That dip in RPMs that occurs sometime past 20mph - it's as if the car just instantly lost vacuum. But, you can't really change that unless you have a means to decode and reprogram the factory TCU, which will not just void warranty but also introduce risk into a tightly-designed system. I've heard of people putting the slightest mods into a Mitsubishi with a CVT, and blowing that sucker up with just an intake and exhaust!

Anyway, tinfoil hat aside...

Lower your unsprung weight, install a better intake or filter... Maybe install a grounding kit. Then call it a day. Best you can do :/

·
Registered
60 Posts
My CVT downshifts or slips to higher rpms when going up hills, and if I start coasting down a hill it locks up and engine brakes fairly aggressively. It's programmed well for dirt and snow and hills I think.

Cruise control tends to use the lowest rpm possible.

If your engine is bogging, it could be bad, or it may not as bad as you feel. but it's warrantied to do that for like 100,000 miles so you can also think of it that way

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sorry to read your problems with the CVT transmission. I admit I do not like automatic transmissions and fortunately, the UK market offered a 6 speed manual gearbox option for the Eclipse Cross, which is a delight to use.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Today I used the cruise control at 40mph for a moment and noticed the engine was lugging and making vibrations, but when I canceled cruise and put my foot back on the pedal it stopped. I think the car is trying to use a gear ratio better suited for highway speeds and cruise control must lock out the shorter ratios or just always use the lowest one.. That's what it felt like anyway. So I don't think its a problem really, because at low-speed I just won't use cruise. I'll be safer for it I'm sure haha

·
Registered
89 Posts
Honestly most of these complain is just that EC owners/user are not familiar with how the vehicle operate and then be complaining.... cvt need adjusting.... and dealer check and say they see nothing wrong then obvious thats how the vehicle was tune/programm to operate, hence to its ok, just that we don't like how it operates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts