Eclipse Cross Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Eclipse Cross Exceed
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a VIOFO A119 V3 Dash Cam and I am wondering where the best position would be to install it. I have a 2019 Exceed model which has a lot of sensors in and around the rear view mirror.

Has anyone had any experiences in installing a dash cam in an Eclipse Cross? Some pointers would be great.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Welcome @Chris B. I saw your post in the other thread unfortunately oldsalt hasn't been on this forum for over a year. He sold his EC Exceed. It is recommended to mount the dash cam away from the sensor setup in the windscreen. From memory the manual suggests mounting electronic equipment to the left or right side of the windscreen. Your location choice would depend on the field of view of your dash cam. The wider the better.

Opinions differ though. Some say that it shouldn't matter. You can try under the sensors but be prepared for some hiccups if you do. The GPS in the dash cam is likely the cause of any issues...

Edit: Had a quick check of the owners manual and chapter 6 has pages of warnings about the safety systems and systems. TLDR; I did read however that there should be no label, sticker or film in the area directly below the sensor area on the windscreen as it will affect the operation of the sensors and the area is shown in a diagram on that page. Check chapter 6 of the Australian owners manual. See the second column about not mounting electronics there either (below):

·
Registered
65 Posts
Anything like a dashcam, toll e-tag or similar should be positioned away from the sensor in all cases.

It is a common complaint with FCM and ACC systems , which is cause by these devices

·
Super Moderator
439 Posts
I have that exact dashcam. I guess I did everything wrong but it's not been a problem for me. I ran the wire under the headliner down the pillar and behind the glovebox, but I didn't wire it into the fuse box. I am just using the accessory socket on the dash for power.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive mirror Vehicle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, thanks for your advice. I might do a temporary install as per Lunatic59 and see how it goes. I'll report back here once I have tested it.

·
Super Moderator
439 Posts
OK, thanks for your advice. I might do a temporary install as per Lunatic59 and see how it goes. I'll report back here once I have tested it.
That was my initial thinking. Nothing drilled, cut or soldered so if it caused any problems it was easy enough to move it. That was over a year ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was my initial thinking. Nothing drilled, cut or soldered so if it caused any problems it was easy enough to move it. That was over a year ago.
BTW is your Eclipse LH or RH drive? Camera looks good in that position but is that the passenger side or drivers side?

·
Super Moderator
439 Posts
Yup, passenger side and it's there for a very specific reason. Pennsylvania DOT regulations state that you cannot have any type of display or screen visible to the driver above the dashboard. And there are only three approved locations for a dash cam. Because the Viofo A119 has a screen on it (even though it turns off after a few seconds) placing it where the rearview mirror blocks the screen was my only choice. And since PA is a 2-party consent state (all parties must agree to being recorded) if you record audio, you must post a sign in the vehicle that states the passengers are being recorded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts