Eclipse Cross Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mind jumping on the panic bandwagon. While most people are figuring out how to work from home if possible, I find myself enjoying driving on less congested roads. Don't get me wrong, i don't take this pandemic lightly at all. Both myself and my wife are in the higher risk groups, but my employer is considered an essential business. You see I work for a wholesale distribution company that specializes in janitorial and sanitary products. We supply areas like New York, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. with products like Purell hand sanitizer, Clorox and Lysol disinfectants, medical masks and toilet paper. We are not only working at full staff, but we have added people, trucks and increased working hours to include double shifts and weekends. Still, that's not enough.

Driving on (almost) deserted highways in this apocalyptic atmosphere almost makes you feel like Mel Gibson in the Road Warrior.

What's everyone else's experience been?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm retired so long passed the daily work routine. It looks like our Government is considering asking all people over the age of 70 to remain in their homes, and self isolate. The major problem with that is how can people get the every day living essentials, Our daughter lives about 14 miles away, and said she will make sure we get what we need. But she has her own family to worry about, so we will just have to see how things pan out. So far we are out and about for our shopping etc., so coping okay, but there is a lot of panic buying going on which is completely unnecessary. But, that's human nature kicking in, in looking after number one.
Everyone take good care and we will hopefully get through this problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I now have no where to drive to... work kicked me out because I have a cold. So I guess I get to sit at home... 🙁

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you get tested? I only ask because we had someone go home with a sinus infection and they are not allowed to return until they can provide a negative test result for COVID-19. It's a little extreme but from a business perspective HR as already been told by several people that if he is allowed to return without proof they will go -- and stay -- home.

·
Registered
115 Posts
With the shortage on tests, our hospitals won't test anyone who doesn't have known contact with someone who has it, doesn't have a fever or isn't in high risk and I am none of those things. So I can't even be tested because we have a shortage of tests. I understand their fear, it's just annoying and frankly makes me feel kind of like a pariah.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Take care Bertha, it is probably just a cold related type thing, but as you say can understand the caution.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Stay safe everyone and observe the local recommendations. We've had a China trip cancelled and then an alternative cruise cancelled because of this outbreak but we are remaining positive. We are on 377 acres and 20 kms from the nearest town so feeling quite safe though we are discouraging visitors from the larger population centres like Sydney. We're not Doomsday Preppers but the relative isolation helps and we are capable of living off the power grid should it be needed. Plus we have a dairy farm across the road...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel for those cooped up in their city apartments. Out here in the burbs people are taking walks and playing outside ... just at a distance from one another. Come to think of it, not much has changed in that regard.

I am in the over-60 risk group and my wife is on immuno-suppressants for an autoimmune disease (Scleroderma) so, while there are only 5 confirmed cases in our county, we are still being cautious. It's still up in the air for everyone. With the mandatory closings, things could improve rapidly, level off, or it's the zombie apocalypse. We just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went to work today and ran to the store yesterday and as a pickme up I turned ECO off and drove without mpg in mind, cranked the music, open the sunroof and felt a sense of joy. That was really nice. A drive is a nice reprieve from there current global situation. I really do love the EC.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Good you enjoyed the drive in a carefree spirit in these somewhat sombre days, and also realising how good your EC is.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Living in a rural situation means a little less stress and we have to drive 20 Km into town for supplies anyway so I get to enjoy it regularly. Plus I am doing a bit of home renovation at the moment and its a 190 Km round trip to get the supplies I need so I'm out and about a bit in the EC. Off to the post office in town...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts