Eclipse Cross Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Its not a faulty design, other wise more cars would do it. If more cars did it then MMC would issue a recall. Which is exactly what they did, and are still doing with 10 year old L200/triton diesels.

PArt of there analysis is finding out why some vehicles do this and others don not, and why in some markets the problem is worse that others. That is where us dealer staff feedback and give them data to help them outline the issue and formulate an appropriate response.

Ultimately the problem is with your counties imoprter. As like most countires these may not be a subsidiary of MMC, and therefore would need to finance this kind of investigation themselves. It may even be apparant that MMC do not have this problem, and it is caused by an additive in the fuel in your region, and modifying or replacing the engine would not be viable until the fuel is changed.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Its not a faulty design, other wise more cars would do it. If more cars did it then MMC would issue a recall. Which is exactly what they did, and are still doing with 10 year old L200/triton diesels.

PArt of there analysis is finding out why some vehicles do this and others don not, and why in some markets the problem is worse that others. That is where us dealer staff feedback and give them data to help them outline the issue and formulate an appropriate response.

Ultimately the problem is with your counties imoprter. As like most countires these may not be a subsidiary of MMC, and therefore would need to finance this kind of investigation themselves. It may even be apparant that MMC do not have this problem, and it is caused by an additive in the fuel in your region, and modifying or replacing the engine would not be viable until the fuel is changed.
I agreed to some extent. I believe the cases reported by now are sufficient to find out what is going wrong. Stripping of one such engine would reveal what's wrong, whether faulty turbo or seized oil rings. Most cases of this oil burning would be going unnoticed.

The pre-ignition noise in the uphill drive that I am getting would have a link to the oil-burning issue. Moreover, 0w20 recommended by the manufacturer would be too thin for tropical environment.

· Registered
146 Posts
Mitsubishi have stripped engines. They do not need to pay dealers to do this. Once they have ascertained what the issue is and the severity then why bother stripping it. Just replace it.

There have been no cases of faulty turbochargers.

pre ignition and associated fault codes are all evidence, which the dealer would supply to the importer to help them make a good case for a claim.

MMAL (Australia) prescribe 5w30 oil for this model

· Registered
3 Posts
Actually i just had my Turbo replaced for free on the Powertrain warranty i paid for for the 160,000km package! Faulty aluminum turbo fins. Litterally stsrted to flare open and break apart in my pipes and they also replaced the intercooler with it! It had 0 leak issues now that my new turbo waz put on i have been losing oil too.

· Registered
3 Posts
Mittsubishi Canada faught me for a year tbat their turbos wasnt failing it was lagging at 35000km! They faught me for 2 years or so. They are horribly designed intakes! Pulles alot of debris into the box. And tiny grits ger into the turbo. It was and is stillll a faulty manufactures design! Get the fins looked at..400$ bill but if it is the issue makem fix it. Or itll cost you 10k to do yourzelf.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Mittsubishi Canada faught me for a year tbat their turbos wasnt failing it was lagging at 35000km! They faught me for 2 years or so. They are horribly designed intakes! Pulles alot of debris into the box. And tiny grits ger into the turbo. It was and is stillll a faulty manufactures design! Get the fins looked at..400$ bill but if it is the issue makem fix it. Or itll cost you 10k to do yourzelf.
Hi, Bad to hear that your turbo go damaged prematurely but you were lucky to get it replaced under warranty.

Was it confirmed that failed oil seals of the turbo are the culprit for oil level drop? In my case also the suspicion is that, Though, dibby poiting out faulty oil rings is the reason, based on observations of spark plug deposits, it looks the faulty turbo would be the most probable culprit. Anyways, here one object car is waiting for a new turbo to confirm it...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts