Eclipse Cross Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got the EC PHEV and I noticed nothing happening with FCM when getting quite close to a vehicle in front. These cars are ANCAP 5 star so I thought that the dealer would know the distance related to far, near and middle FCM settings. Not to be. So contacted Mitsi head office in Auckland. The reply was" Unfortunately, we are unable to provide the distance measurement for the 3 FCM settings. You can read more about the FCM in the owner’s manual that came with your vehicle".
I appreciate that these features are not a replacement for driving safely but like some of the prior comments in a number of older threads, how do we know if it is functioning and doesn't have a fault.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have not read anywhere of the distances set for FCM in the system. Only reference I read talks about speeds for activation for various scenarios as shown in the following table (AUS and NZ models have radar so are type 2 though I am unsure what the PHEV has):

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Pattern

I would suspect they may be the same distances as those set by the three bars in the adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) display when ACC is active and a cruise speed is set. As a test, enable ACC by pressing the button on the steering wheel and set the desired cruising speed. The outline icon of a car will appear in the HUD and the central display of the instrument cluster. When a vehicle is detected in front the car outline becomes a filled graphic. Below will be shown the bars to show which distance from the vehicle in front. Adjust the distance using the button at the bottom of the ACC cluster and try each of the settings and see what distance the car adjusts to for each of the three setting options. This may well tally with the FCM detection distances.

Keep in mind that they may not list specific distances as the FCM may have a variable sensing distance which is affected by vehicle speed as shown in the above table. The faster you go the further ahead the system may "look" to account for current speed for each of the settings (NEAR, MIDDLE and FAR).

You can find videos on YouTube of the tests done with FCM against cars and pedestrian sized objects to see how it functions. I have never been in a situation where FCM has activated having detected a real problem ahead though I use ACC regularly and its following functions seem quite reliable. I have had phantom activations and warnings and there is a discussion thread on these forums in regards to that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for that [email protected] Mine is the XLS so does not have ACC or HUDS. The sensor is with the rain sensor at the top centre of the windscreen.
Came across this last night Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross (Dec 2017 – onwards) Crash Test Results | ANCAP
The ANCAP technical report download is near the bottom of the page. Has some scenarios for FCM warnings and distances (see page 3). I have my FCM set at FAR and I have not seen a warning when under 40m. But as you say, there will be variables. I still might check again with Mitsi.

·
Registered
610 Posts
OK, not familiar with the PHEV models and inclusions. It may be a type 1 system in this case which means it relies on the laser sensors alone with no radar backup. I have never gone out to try to get the FCM to activate. The criteria may be a quite complex set of calculations and circumstances to determine when to apply the brakes etc. The video you reference may be your best information.

Short of running your own testing in a safe environment off public roads it may be something you never see until you need it in your daily drive. As stated by Mitsubishi this is not a system to be relied upon. It may be triggered on closing speed and distance and the closing speed criteria may be much higher than the speeds with which you are expecting the system to kick in. Not something I (and most owners) worry about in everyday driving.

FYI, check out this list from the technical information manual to see how different things can affect its operation and you will see there are many variables in the mix:

caution
  • In the following situations, the system provides neither control nor alarming.
    1. When a vehicle or a pedestrian suddenly cuts in front of your vehicle.
    2. When the distance from a vehicle or a pedestrian in front is extremely short.
    3. To an oncoming vehicle.
    4. On vehicles equipped with CVT, when the selector lever is in the "P" (PARK) or "R" (REVERSE) position. On vehicles equipped with M/T, when the gearshift lever is in the "R" (REVERSE) position.
    5. When the FCM has detected a problem in the system.
  • If the ASC is deactivated, the FCM braking function will not operate.
  • The forward collision warning function and/or the FCM braking function may not activate in the following situations.
    1. When a vehicle suddenly appears just in front of your vehicle.
    2. When a vehicle cuts in front of your vehicle very closely.
    3. When the vehicle in front is offset to the left or right.
    4. When the vehicle in front is towing a trailer.
    5. A freight trailer that is not carrying a container.
    6. The vehicle has a protruding load from the carrier.
    7. The vehicle has a low vehicle height.
    8. The vehicle has an extremely high ground clearance.
    9. When a vehicle in front is extremely dirty.
    10. When a vehicle in front is covered with snow.
    11. When a vehicle in front has a large glass surface.
    12. When a vehicle in front does not have reflectors (lamp reflector) or the position of the reflector is low.
    13. When a vehicle in front is a car carrier or a similar shaped vehicle.
    14. When there is a different object near the vehicle.
    15. When driving on a road with many and successive curves, including when passing their entrances and outlets.
    16. When accelerating and decelerating quickly.
    17. When the system recognises driver’s steering, accelerating, braking or gear shifting actions as evasive actions to avoid collision.
    18. When driving on a road with steep and alternating up and down slopes.
    19. When driving on a slippery road covered by rain water, snow, ice etc.
    20. When a road surface is surging, and there is unevenness.
    21. When driving in dark areas, such as in a tunnel or at night.
    22. When your vehicle changed lanes, and your vehicle approached immediately behind the vehicle in front.
    23. During a certain time after your vehicle turns left or right.
    24. When you are carrying extremely heavy loads in the rear seats or luggage area.
    25. After the engine has been running for an extended period of time.
    26. When using a windscreen washer.
    27. If windscreen wipers are not MITSUBISHI MOTORS GENUINE parts or equivalent.
    28. When the sensor becomes extremely hot or cold.
    29. If the battery becomes weak or runs down.
    30. When the sensor is affected by strong light, such as direct sunlight or the headlamps of an oncoming vehicle.
    31. Under adverse weather conditions (rain, snow, sand storms, etc.)
    32. When the windscreen of the sensor portion is covered with dirt, water droplets, snow and ice, etc.
    33. When water, snow or sand on the road are extorted by the vehicle in front or an oncoming vehicle.
  • The FCM may not detect a pedestrian in certain situations. Some of these include:
    1. It the pedestrian is shorter than approximately 1 m or taller than approximately 2 m.
    2. If the pedestrian is wearing loose-fitting clothes.
    3. If part of a pedestrian’s body is hidden, such as when holding an umbrella, large bag, etc.
    4. If a pedestrian bends forward, sits or lies on the road.
    5. When a pedestrian is pushing/pulling some-thing, such as a stroller, bicycle or wheel-chair.
    6. When pedestrians gather in a group.
    7. When a pedestrian clothing appears to be nearly the same colour or brightness as its surroundings.
    8. When a pedestrian is very close to an object, such as a vehicle.
    9. When a pedestrian is in a dark area, such as at right or in a tunnel.
    10. When the pedestrian is walking fast or running.
    11. When a pedestrian suddenly rushes in front of the vehicle.
    12. When the position of a pedestrian is close to the edge of the vehicle.
  • The FCM control and alarm functions may be triggered in the following situations.
    1. When there is a structure beside the entrance of a curve and intersection.
    2. When running on a narrow iron bridge.
    3. When passing through a gate with small head or side clearances.
    4. When there are metallic objects, steps or projections on the road surface.
    5. When quickly approaching a vehicle in front to overtake it.
    6. When passing an electronic toll collection gate.
    7. When running under an overpass, an pedestrian overpass or a small tunnel.
    8. When running in Multi-storey car park.
    9. When running the road the gradient changes suddenly.
    10. When stopping very close to a wall or a vehicle in front.
    11. When passing close to the vehicle, the pedestrian or an object. When driving on the road that the vehicle in front runs in offset position from your vehicle.
    12. When passing through an area that objects may contact the vehicle, such as thick grass, tree branches, or a banner.
    13. When there are patterns on the road that may be mistaken for a vehicle or a pedestrian.
    14. When a vehicle cuts into your path in the detecting range of the sensor.
    15. When an oncoming vehicle is positioned straight ahead of your vehicle on a curved road.
    16. When passing through a plastic curtain etc.
    17. When the FCM detects a long object carried on your vehicle, such as skies or a roof carrier.
    18. When driving through fog, steam, smoke or dust.
    19. When the windscreen of the sensor portion is covered with dirt, water droplets, snow and ice, etc.
  • Turn off the system beforehand when the vehicle is placed in any of the following situations as the system can operate unexpectedly.
    1. When using an automatic car wash.
    2. When your vehicle’s wheels are driven by the engine on a lift.
    3. When your vehicle is towed or your vehicle tows another vehicle.
    4. When your vehicle is carried on a truck.
    5. When enjoying sports driving on a circuit.
    6. When your vehicle is on a chassis dynamometer or free rollers.
    7. When the tyre pressure is not proper.
    8. When installing the spare tyre for emergency.
    9. When the snow traction device (tyre chains) are attached.
    10. If the windscreen on or surrounding the sensor is cracked or scratched.
The forward collision damage mitigation braking system (FCM) measures the relative speed and the relative distance with the vehicle or the pedestrian in front of the vehicle with a sensor or radar. When judging that there is a danger of collision, it activates an alarm or the automatic brake etc. to reduce collision damage or avoid collision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts