Eclipse Cross Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
As far as I know, the EC is equipped with Jatco CVT8 JF016E with steel belt rated at 250 NM max torque.
It is the Jatco CVT8 JF017E with chain belt rated at 380 NM max torque.
Screenshot_20200707-192622_Chrome.jpg

Having said that, I would be curious to know how long the CVT will last after the remap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Me too, the remap was offered by an official dealer in Brazil, I'm not a heavy user, so still testing, the car is brand new, the first trip was on July 4 /2020. The only thing that is not clear to me is the difference between the transmission code:

W1CJC-3-B2U - 4WD - 2017-2018
W1CJC-3-B2SA - 4WD - from 2019
Do you know what means this change from 2017/2018 to 2019?
https://www.drive2.ru/l/561551650582432495/

·
Registered
4 Posts
so to summarize (non-techie here), there is nothing you could or should do to increase performance on 2019 EC GT?

I was thinking of adding an intake or a chip even if to increase the HP (152HP is so.. unimpressive)... so, i shouldn't?

thanks in advance for help and response ✌

·
Registered
362 Posts
There are threads here wu=hich discuss:

Upsized intercooler for the Turbo
Plug in chipset which changes the EC programming for better performance (UK option but it is pricey)

Check the forums for the threads.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
@pdk, @Renato_Matheus Is it the CVT8? I may have misstated, but someone please verify from a Mitsubishi source what exact transmission is in the Cross. In Jatco part numbers, because Mitsubishi's part numbers unfortunately don't really tell us squat. (Almost as if there's something to hide, no?) It's been quite a while since I've dabbled in this stuff, and pretty much just let the whole idea go. I know that the local dealership won't even service it, as it's a "non-serviceable unit". You have to drop and replace the unit as a whole - no instructions for tear-down, even in the FSM. I can't tell if it's got chains or belts or scrunchies. As you've said, @pdk, if it's the belt-driven variant, we're really limited to that little torque (250 Nm, or 185 lb-ft at the crank).

Now, as for the torque specs, I recall a prospectus sheet from Jatco at one time had torque ratings on the transmissions. All I remember finding is that the Outlander, Sport and Eclipse Cross transmissions are one and the same. Only difference is the programming. So, if the torque rating has increased, great! I really would love to hear if anyone was able to successfully run the car at increased power levels on a regular track day, and see if anything blew up. And what the point of failure was. (What boost level, rpm, speed, etc. ... maybe trans oil temp?)

Anyway, all hypotheticals unless someone provides numbers and some form of proof. Jatco won't even post specs, and Mitsu don't care - so long as they move inventory! As I've said, any experienced transmission mechanic will tell you not to trust a Jatco transmission for this very purpose. They're unreliable, and not rated to withstand punishment like your regular Aisin, Getrag, or heck... MHI transmission. With real gears, not waffle cones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@pdk, @Renato_Matheus Is it the CVT8? I may have misstated, but someone please verify from a Mitsubishi source what exact transmission is in the Cross. In Jatco part numbers, because Mitsubishi's part numbers unfortunately don't really tell us squat. (Almost as if there's something to hide, no?) It's been quite a while since I've dabbled in this stuff, and pretty much just let the whole idea go. I know that the local dealership won't even service it, as it's a "non-serviceable unit". You have to drop and replace the unit as a whole - no instructions for tear-down, even in the FSM. I can't tell if it's got chains or belts or scrunchies. As you've said, @pdk, if it's the belt-driven variant, we're really limited to that little torque (250 Nm, or 185 lb-ft at the crank).

Now, as for the torque specs, I recall a prospectus sheet from Jatco at one time had torque ratings on the transmissions. All I remember finding is that the Outlander, Sport and Eclipse Cross transmissions are one and the same. Only difference is the programming. So, if the torque rating has increased, great! I really would love to hear if anyone was able to successfully run the car at increased power levels on a regular track day, and see if anything blew up. And what the point of failure was. (What boost level, rpm, speed, etc. ... maybe trans oil temp?)

Anyway, all hypotheticals unless someone provides numbers and some form of proof. Jatco won't even post specs, and Mitsu don't care - so long as they move inventory! As I've said, any experienced transmission mechanic will tell you not to trust a Jatco transmission for this very purpose. They're unreliable, and not rated to withstand punishment like your regular Aisin, Getrag, or heck... MHI transmission. With real gears, not waffle cones.
Its indeed the Jatco CVT8 JF016E at 250 NM/185 ft/pd ...
..the CVT8 JF017E with chain belt at 380 NM / 280 ft/lb are use in the diesel variant to handle higher torque, hence its always in premium trim and cost more.
So question are;
....can the diesel cvt8 chain be bolted unto petrol version? (I would think so)
.....Next is a maximum torque of 280 ft/lb eclipse cross be satisfying?
.....whats the max hp tranny can handle? I would believe 250hp good

Now is 250hp 280 ft.lb in an EC good specs?
Really is that for mitsubishi to be making sport/race car with their limited budget is suicide. Their are way more individual willing to buy a family car than a sport/race car. However mitsubishi can easy pull parts from variant vehicle as they design parts to be backward compatible and interchangeable with a few minor adjustments maybe.
So it is still possible to mod this vehicle but does it worth the effort and cost?
While I would take on such a challenge I think its best that we enjoy the EC as is ... maybe do a few minor performance mods within the reliable range and in future modify. 200hp n 200 ft lb torqure isn't that bad for this vehicles limitation.
Possibility lies that a higher hp variant will be release.... 2liter turbo ... but imagine if they had release such a model early .. then most of us who bought the 1.5l turbo would hve just bought 2 liter t ....but once release we gonna sell 1.5 and buy it...lol
I get the 2liter N/A version basically the same as in the ASX/outlander sport... qhich I am looking to turbo someday in the near future... safe 5lb- 7lb boost should be good.
Tuning is ok as its the same asx ecu.
So slippery I understand your pain...but I realise you over expected hence the disappointment

21 - 26 of 26 Posts