Eclipse Cross Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I have had my 2018 Eclipse SE for 1 month now, 1800 miles on it. I drive almost 100 miles a day. 45 miles one way to work, thru Chicago suburbs, not on the express way, a LOT of stop and go traffic. A few days ago on the way home I was able to average 31.0mpg

https://imgur.com/a/I2ukkHN

I did this with ECO mode OFF. I really cant stand driving with Eco ON. I think ECO probably turns off the turbo charger. To get 31.0mpg, with ECO off you have to drive very conservatively but it still drives better than with ECO ON. Someday, I will make a roadtrip and the expressway and then I can see what I can get for MPG, but overall I am pretty impressed.

It has been a bit of a transition for me though, I used to drive a Mini Cooper, and I can tell you I did not care about mileage there, performance was the madness!!!!

So what kind of mpg are others getting?

·
Registered
15 Posts
****, that’s impressive. I’m struggling to get 25-27, in eco, on a good day. It’s even worse not in eco with the extra grunt available. Do you leave the meter up, on the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
22 Posts
With Eco Off, Mine is on 7,5 L /100 KM if I drive like human being and in city, it goes to 6L if in Autobahn with constant Speed AVG 100 to 130 Km/h , if I press the Gas pedal always it will go to 9.8 to 10 L/100 KM. Usually one full tank will last almost 700 KM for me with Mix Driving Style .

·
Super Moderator
273 Posts
Mine's a week old but I'm fairly impressed. I have a 34 mile (one-way) daily commute outside of Philadelphia which is mostly stop-and-go highway driving, like every other metro area on the east coast.

I should also mention that I have an SEL with the touring package, rated the lowest out of all the trim levels at 25 city/26 highway.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
That's a good figure, considering the USA gallon is a bit smaller than the Imperial Gallon measurement we use here in the UK.
The best I achieved so far has been 50.2 mpg, though driving like Miss Daisey on our shopping trip to Largs, a bit further down the Clyde coast from where we live.
Quite regularly can achieve 39 to 41 MPG driving through to Edinburgh, a journey of about 80 miles from home.

Reactions: Lunatic59

·
Super Moderator
273 Posts
Even better this morning on my alternate route which is primarily winding country roads for the first 20 miles and then jump onto the highway for the last 15.

That would be 41 mp(imperial)g, or for those in Canada, it would be 6.88L/100km. Any way you look at it it is considerably better than the posted fuel rating on the sticker.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well done especially with the automatic gearbox. I can achieve 41mpg on the run through to Edinburgh when visiting Son and Daughter in Law and family. It is Motorway for 80% of the journey and I try not to go over 70mph but tend to go over that a bit on occasions.

·
Super Moderator
273 Posts
Which begs the question, why are the posted stickers so conservative? I would assume that the official numbers come from a test vehicle hooked up to a dynamometer to simulate city/highway driving rather than any actual road test. Is Mitsubishi afraid of the same kind of boggle that got VW in trouble with it's diesel estimates?

·
Registered
459 Posts
That would be 41 mp(imperial)g, or for those in Canada, it would be 6.88L/100km. Any way you look at it it is considerably better than the posted fuel rating on the sticker.
Best I've achieved is 7.3l/100km on local country roads with varying speed limits of a trip of around 135km. I have never taken any notice of the screen stickers. Ours are a different format to yours. Here they remove them before delivery so you only see them on cars on the sales lot but take them with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Just this last week I had to drive to Sydney and back (a 650km round trip) towing a 8' x 4' box trailer with cage to pick up two 100l water tanks to use for watering our horses as we are in a prolonged drought. The trip down with just the trailer saw a usage of 10.2l/100km so the extra weight made a major difference. On the return with the empty water tanks weighing 60Kg each, which are 1.2m high and protruded above the roofline of the EC by around 30cm to increase drag, I got 11.5l/100km so I won't be doing that too often.

One thing that was noticeable on that 38 deg C day was that the EC virtually died in the bum when the aircon kicked in whilst towing the trailer with the tanks on board. Had to run with the aircon off, windows down and sunroof popped up to prevent an even higher fuel usage. Mind you, when the aircon was off the EC still had great legs to accelerate to 110kph on the freeway with enough grunt to overtake trucks etc. once back on the single lane roads travelling at the 90kph speed limit.

The used tanks cost $80 each but they sell them new locally for over $350 because of the drought (highway robbery) so, even with the fuel cost, it was a saving plus I had to see my dentist who is in Sydney also during the trip but this is an exercise I don't intend to repeat any time soon...

·
Super Moderator
273 Posts
It will be a while before I switch the A/C on, but I can see where it would add that "last straw" to the EC's back while towing a few hundred extra kg. Now do you mean that it killed the fuel mileage? Killed the power? or both?

·
Registered
459 Posts
The throttle became unresponsive so yes, it killed the power but I suspect the mileage would have suffered had I continued with its use...

·
Super Moderator
273 Posts
There's always a little voice in my head that says not to trust a car's mpg indicator. It seems that if you pick your route and drive with idea of getting the highest number, like a video game, you can get over inflated estimates. So far, on my daily commute I see numbers around 30~32 mpg on the gauge.

The true test is what the pump and the odometer say. So let's look at the math ... when I picked up my EC three weeks ago, the odometer had a whopping 15 miles on it, and the dealer filled the tank for me. I ran the car until the "Refuel" light came on and then filled the tank. It took about 13.5 gallons (U.S.). Today, the light came on and I filled the tank again, this time taking 13.4 gallons. The spec's for the EC every trim level but the lowest has a 15.8 gallon tank, giving me a little over two gallons left when the light comes on. At the time I filled the tank, the car had 913 miles on the odometer. Now assuming the dealer filled the tank fully that would be consumption of 26.9 gallons over 898 miles, or an average of 33.38 mpg.

For the record my daily commute consists of a 34 mile one way trip on both country roads and highways, but there aren't a lot of stops involved, and I've been using regular (87 octane) gas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just did a roughly 7800mi trip.
Averaged about 30mpg. Lots of heavy snow driving slow. I’m used to 11.8mpg in my F350 so anything above that is tremendous in my eyes.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts