Eclipse Cross Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am still getting an average of 30 ~ 33 mpg after 3k miles. I am either a fogie, or Mitsubishi's estimates are too conservative.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Awe! I'm doing terrible on gas milage. I average probably 20mpg? The highest I've seen on a tank for me is 26 and the was just because it was a snow storm and I had to drive 45 to 50 mph for 180 miles both ways. I'm using unleaded ethenol ga, 87 octane i think?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I thought it was low too. But I am literally keeping my receipts and writing down milage at fills and doing the math and I've never gotten over 26 something yet. Are you guys all driving in eco mode? Oh and I have AWC so I know that effects it (ive had AWD for 10 years) or do they even make just fwd of these? What are you guys doing to get the great gas milage?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't know ... maybe there's a special "Mitsubishi Touch" on the accelerator you develop after years of driving them. ;) Seriously, I drive 60 ~ 70 miles per day, evenly split between rural roads that don't usually go above 50 m.p.h. and highway driving around 70 m.p.h. I don't have a lot of stop and go city driving, don't have anything in tow or load up the back with a ton of cargo. I use regular gas (87 octane).

I know other things like outside temperature, altitude and tire pressure will effect your mileage, but it shouldn't be that dramatic. We've had some pretty chilly weather recently ... mornings around 18°F (-8°C) with days getting close to the freezing mark and my mileage doesn't seem to differ that much. Maybe 1 or 2 mpg, but that's it.

My EC is the SEL with the touring package ... 1.5L turbo and SAWC. The base model (in the U.S. anyway) ES does come with 2WD, but SAWC is an option I would think everyone gets. I don't think I've even seen a 2WD model at the dealer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here is the gas milage guage from home to work this morning. 2.5 miles. I turned eco off. It is some stop and go, but the highway I seem to be low too compared to what you guys are getting. Hum, I'm going to have to practice the "Mitsubishi touch" 😉

I usually don't rely on the guage and only calculate it at the gas pump. I keep all my receipts and record milage at each fill.

I'm heading out of town this weekend so I'll see what I can get on the interstate.

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Here is the gas milage guage from home to work this morning. 2.5 miles. I turned eco off. It is some stop and go, but the highway I seem to be low too compared to what you guys are getting. Hum, I'm going to have to practice the "Mitsubishi touch" 😉

I usually don't rely on the guage and only calculate it at the gas pump. I keep all my receipts and record milage at each fill.

I'm heading out of town this weekend so I'll see what I can get on the interstate.
I've found that the calculation of the car can be unreliable when starting after a 4 hour break, which resets the calculation. In such a short trip as your morning trip it likely wouldn't be enough time to affect the starting figure for the day. The 1 in the display means it is set to Auto calculation. You might try manual recalculation from start and see if it brings that figure more in line with what would be the expected normal.

Once you've started, and before moving off, push the up and down selection arrows for the dash display until you see SETTINGS (only available when ignition is on and the vehicle is in P or N). Select to open the settings menu and scroll down to Average fuel (should be first in the list). Select this and then move the selection to Manual and select it. Return a few times out to the top level and bring up the average display. 2 should now be display instead of 1 and the average for the last trip should be recalled. Do your normal drive and see if the figure is more forthcoming on the true average.

My minimum trip is into town. A distance of around 25 Kms (~15 miles) and the manual figure is around 7.9l/100Km - 8.7l/100km (29.77mpg - 27.04mpg) depending on how heavy my right foot is on the day. On a recent trip of 250Km each way I got down to 7.5l/100km (31.36mpg) but that was in wet weather that required a more moderate driving method and not my usual style (sadly).

Using the manual settings method gets me a more viable long term calculation rather than a reset every 4 hours of interval. Its just a PIA having to do the settings change to get/maintain this figure. I'm at around the 6200 mile mark but 95% of my driving is country roads with a minimum trip length of 25km (~15miles). 12 month anniversary is end of May 2020.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have to agree with Zarbs here. 2.5 miles isn't enough distance to get you an accurate estimate. Every time the counter resets, you are not starting out at the value from the last time you drove, but at zero. After a mile the "average" of the starting zero and actual 25 mpg is 12.5. After another mile, the average would be 16.7, so while you might be actually seeing 25 mpg, the "average" is messed up. The longer you drive, the less that initial zero affects the overall mileage.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah I know short trips aren't super reliable. Here is the data from all my fills. Only two over 25 mpg. The one that's 15.56 mpg is my doing. It was -20's F a number of times over that week and I let the car warm up for at least 15 min a number of times. I know that kills the mpg, but worth it when it's that temp out.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is anyone actually calculating the mpg at fill up? Id be really interested to see your numbers at the gas pump over a month to compare it to mine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't get paper receipts at the gas station, but I do keep track of my fuel expenditures. Based on the $261.00 spent on fuel since I got my EC in November (the 9th, to be exact) and current odometer reading of 3,326 -- factoring out that first full tank of gas from the dealer -- and the price of gas in my area averaging $2.69/gallon for that period, the numbers support consistent 30+ mpg fuel economy. The numbers I see on the dash also regularly show ~31 mpg on my daily commute.

Let me point out that trip type, duration and driving style greatly affect mileage. I drive my car 65 ~ 70 miles per day, 4 days a week. I work from home on Wednesdays and drive the wife's car on the weekends (more on that later). My commute is evenly split between 4-lane highway and a 2-lane country-ish route. The highway is a straight shot of 15 miles with speeds around 65 mph. The rest is usually driven around 45 ~ 50 mph. The thing is there are few stops and steady speeds. Perfect for fuel economy. What little else i drive my car around town doesn't seem to drag my mileage numbers down.

My wife's car (2019 Jeep Cherokee) is rated 23 mpg city/ 31 mpg highway. I can tell you that in the year she's owned it, we've NEVER seen anywhere close to 31 mpg. and honestly she rarely averages above 22 mpg. You see, her daily "commute" to work is close to a mile ... maybe and here other weekly use is always short trips close to home. We drive her car on weekends just to put some highway miles on it, but as my short trip driving doesn't negatively impact my mileage, our longer weekend trips don't have much effect on her low ratings, either.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It gets a bit confusing Bertha_b1, as your figure will be for the smaller USA gallon. Whereas mine would be for the Imperial gallon which is a slightly bigger volume.
I'm averaging low to mid 30s on mostly local running, with the odd trip through to Edinburgh, which is about 80miles or so and can achieve 41 mpg for the round trip, though that is an Imperial Gallon measurement.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah the conversation can be confusing but I guess if i was on the imperial gallon my last trip would have averaged 25.736 mpg vs my listed 21 mpg in us gallons.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yeah the conversation can be confusing but I guess if i was on the imperial gallon my last trip would have averaged 25.736 mpg vs my listed 21 mpg in us gallons.
My car is a manual which may make a difference in fuel consumption, though autos are much better nowadays on fuel than they use to be.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah that is true. My summer car is a manual and I do have better control over the mpg. My suvs I always get automatics and I guess I'm just a little disappointed in the gas milage as this is a smaller suv than my Hyundai I sold but the mpg is roughly the same. Although, my Hyundai wouldn't reset the mpg every 4 hours so it might be more of an illusion than the truth. I rarely reset my Hyundai mpg so it would even out at 20 average from City/highway and auto starting and mostly just sit at that. When i reset it on the highway i would see 24 to 26 mpg. That said i never did actually calculate my mpg in that thing at fill up, like i am doing with my EC, so I could be way wrong. Now I wish I had kept track with my Hyundai.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well the main thing is that you are enjoying the Eclipse Cross, or I hope you are, for what it is costing you to run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see that a lot of you leave the ECO mode off. Does anyone know what that mode actually does? I've been driving with it on and working on driving conservatively but if I can get the same MPG without the eco, i will. 2019 Cross SEL...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I see that a lot of you leave the ECO mode off. Does anyone know what that mode actually does? I've been driving with it on and working on driving conservatively but if I can get the same MPG without the eco, i will. 2019 Cross SEL...
ECO mode does a couple of things like optimizing the air conditioner compressor to only be on during times of peak efficiency and preventing hard acceleration from a dead stop. Mostly, though, it changes the shift ratios to keep normal operations at a slightly lower engine RPM, which is great for fuel economy but makes the car feel under powered IMHO. Most of this you can do yourself, just by not being a leadfoot at the stops and not screaming down the highway at 100 m.p.h. Think of it like a really annoying passenger (Daresay I mention mother-in-laws? ;) )constantly saying in their most irritating voice "You're driving too fast."

I tried ECO mode for a few trips just to see if it was worth it and really I didn't see much of a difference in economy, but it really made the driving experience less enjoyable because of the power/performance hit. That's probably because I drive like an old fart, but that's only because i AM an old fart. ;)

Today's displayed mileage was the best yet and ECO mode was off all the way.

Now I did get stuck behind a truck hauling hay which never went over 45 m.p.h. for the first half of my commute, and we have strong winds today which were tailwinds for me, but considering that the top official rating for economy in the Eclipse Cross SEL is 27 mpg, I am not going to quibble over details. A 33% economy surplus makes me a happy camper. :D

Attachments

21 - 40 of 49 Posts