Eclipse Cross Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi has anyone experienced the same problems I have with a manual gearbox?
I brought my Eclipse Cross 4 at 9 months old with 3900 miles on the clock, when selecting 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd gear it would sometimes crunch into gear even with the clutch pedal fully depressed.
I complained to the dealer who agreed the gearbox had a problem, so the car went in for a gearbox replacement.
I was given another Eclipse Cross 4 to use which had a similar problem though not as dramatic.
My gearbox was replaced with a new gearbox from Mitsubishi, now sometimes it takes all your strength to select 2nd gear although it no longer crunches into gear.
I have Mitsubishi Technical now interested in testing the car as I feel there is an underlying design defect with these gearboxes.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think Mitsubishi's first plan was to sell this car with CVT and they didn't make so many investment on the manual gearbox. There are different complaints on the forum and the clutch problem was one of the reasons to sell the car for me.

However, it is early to speak about hard gear changes for you. I think you need to give the car some time to let the gears wear a bit. Sometimes those wear softens the gear changes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Slug,
I have a manual gearbox and know what you mean regarding resistance in engaging second gear. Not so much when changing up, but when the gear box is cold there is a resistance in selecting 2nd gear. However when warmed up, I find the gearbox a pleasure to use. My ASX 1.6 diesel had a similar 6 speed box also, and believe the ECs box is a further development of the same gearbox.
Apart from cold, when 2nd cannot be hurried, I find the gear changing action to be very good indeed.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I've been trying to sort this issue out on my gearbox for months now and i think ive sorted it. The first thing i tryed was to upgrade the gearbox oil to Red Line MTL 75W80 GL-4, it made very little difference but its a good place to start. The second was to add an additive called Mollyslip to the gearbox, i had read somewhere that mitsubishi had used this on the evos years ago when they had issues with the gearboxs so gave it a go. A slightly better shift from 1st to 2nd but sometimes still getting a crunch so the issue was still there. I then noticed that if you pump the clutch twice before changing gear it wouldnt crunch, which would indicate air in the fluid so decided to bleed the clutch tonight and it feels much better now. I will know for sure when i take it a drive tomorrow but i'm pretty confident.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Yeah so if you pump the clutch pedal twice before changing gear and it's a clean change Im pretty sure your issue is air in the system. It's may turn out to be a faulty slave cylinder but so far so good, I will keep you updated.
Cheers

·
Registered
170 Posts
Fingers cross that you have found the problem Ronrs2k.
Well done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts