Eclipse Cross Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! We bought a brand new 2021 Eclipse Cross Exceed last weekend and am waiting to take delivery...the wait is killing me, haha! Here are some pictures of it still in pre-delivery mode. I look forward to reading through the forum and learning more about these fantastic cars. :)

·
Super Moderator
368 Posts
Welcome to the forums. You've got one of the newer models with the front end redesign. We'll have to compare notes on that. Personally I'm curious about the new infotainment system. You'll have to give us an owner review after you've had it for a while.

Feel free to browse around the forums and join in wherever you like.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Welcome to the Forum mbikeboy, Hope you enjoy your new Eclipse Cross when its arrives home and that have many happy miles with it.

Reactions: mbikeboy

·
Registered
2018 Eclipse Cross SE, Diamond White Pearl
49 Posts
Welcome to the forum @mbikeboy; good to have you and your new Exceed here. Beautiful! (y)

And I'll second @Lunatic59 on the need for a full review once you've had it for a while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We're taking delivery tomorrow morning, and we're super-excited! I had a few spare moments at work to duck into PD to take a couple of quick pictures of it undergoing pre-delivery and after a wash before detailing (with the windows tinted at that stage). Plenty more pictures to come tomorrow hehe!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Welcome @mbikeboy. I prefer the black colour of the new model. It's a pity they took down the red on black bumper garnishes and side extensions that were available as accessories in the first week of release. I can only find the silver accents on the list now. Would look awesome with the red accents on the black Exceed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would look awesome with the red accents on the black Exceed.
I had the exact same thought...the red accents would really finish it off. The silver garnishes just seem out of place and a total mis-match, given all accents on the car are chrome (totally different to the silver). I feel Mitsubishi messed up with that decision. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We took delivery the other day, and I finally got to drive it today (the missus headed away with it over the weekend lol!)...very very very happy with it!

The sound system in the Exceed is 8" touch screen with a 510w amp and 8 speakers, and once you play around with the sound settings, it's actually a pretty darn good stereo that can crank out hard...a LOT better than I had been expecting (disregard what reviewers say about this completely). I like the simplicity of the menu's as they're not too complex to operate while driving, and there's everything in the way of information and navigation that you honestly need to be found in the system. Mirroring our phones is super easy and adds even more functionality to the car.

The heads-up display is also surprisingly good, and can be adjusted for angle at the touch of a button. It's full colour, and can display navigation as well as speed and all warning features. Not something that I'd rate as a "need", but is certainly handy to have.

The cameras all around the vehicle make parking a cinch in tight confines, and can be very easily cycled through via a button on the steering wheel.

The instrument cluster is clean-simple to read and effective. It's a little bit dated with the central information section, but strangely I'm ok with this because it's not distracting.

The climate control setup is really straightforward, with nice clear dials, although I do find the heated steering-wheel button being mounted where it is a bit odd...I'd have preferred it down by the button cluster near the door tbh. Eco-mode is a button which I doubt we'll ever use hehe. The cubby space beneath these buttons is too small for a phone which is a bit of an oversight, so already have noticed that the phones reside in the cupholders in the centre console.

I wish Mitsubishi had thought of continuing the use of this carbon fibre look on all areas where the piano black is for consistency of materials in the cabin, but eh well!

Boot space is quite generous imo, but my partner is concerned it's going to be a little bit on the smaller side for our needs...after putting her sister's pram, baby stuff, etc in the back over the weekend, the boot was full, but she carries a lot of crap around and has a pretty large pram, so I'm convinced it'll be fine. ;)

Front seats are extremely comfortable, and can easily find the right position for myself, and the steering wheel has a crazy amount of reach and rake adjustment. The leather is nice to the touch and feels supple, the heated elements get glowing-hot almost instantly, and the heated steering wheel is a nice touch. It's only heated around the 3 & 9 o'clock positions (not all way around), but this is really where you're holding the wheel 9/10 times, and that heats up instantly also. The ONE gripe (scratch that, pisses me off totally) I have is that the drivers seat doesn't have memory positions for multiple drivers...that's a pretty big screw up not to have that particularly on a top-level model, and can see this becoming a source of annoyance in no-time. I've had cars from 20yrs ago with this feature as standard, all our cars have always had this too, so what gives Mitsubishi?!

Rear seats appear quite comfortable and have heating and reclining mechanism (as you can see in the pic), as well as their own sunroof which floods the cabin with light. Passengers over the weekend loved it back there which was great to hear, but we'll hardly ever be taking passengers and I'll never be sitting back there, so I kinda don't care tbh.

Lastly is the exterior...black really, really suits this cars styling, and with the black windows, it looks super mean...almost vicious from the front. It's only a very new model (with this facelift here) and I've noticed that it turns a lot of heads in traffic. There's just the right amount of chrome used without going overboard and making it look tacky and nasty...good job there imo!

The back of the vehicle has also been updated with the upgrade, which has enlarged the boot space considerably, but also cleaned up a previously fussy-looking back end, and almost feels like a nod to the older Lancer hatch with the centre-section. One thing I'm absolutely loving is no longer smashing my head on the boot lid every time I go to use it...plenty of clearance for my 6" height. It looks much more up-to date and in line with the latest designs out there.

That's it for a quick review for now, I'll go into more detail about things as we drive it more and discover new things. :)

·
Super Moderator
368 Posts
Thanks for the review @mbikeboy. You are echoing the sentiment of a lot of owners here. A couple of comments for you ...

The tray under the dash as you found out is much too shallow for a larger smartphone. I've got a Google Pixel XL and it hangs over the edge and when it slid to the left (Driver's on the left here) it interfered with the shift lever. I either couldn't put it into park or the phone got wedged in. But, I didn't want to run a cable to the console (where my 2011 Outlander had a very convenient USB port) nor did i want a phone bouncing around in the cup holder, so I 3D printed a little holder that fits in the tray and holds my phone steady, with a very short USB cable. It's neat, easy and keeps me from loading up the tray with change and straw wrappers. ;)

I heard that for 2021 Mitsubishi was moving away from the Rockford-Fosgate sound system. That's what I have in my 2019 SEL. I'd be curious to see if the new setup was an improvement or just a lateral move.

The heated steering wheel only heating the sides and not the top is head scratcher for me. I posted a bit about it in the thread where we list things we do not like about the EC. You might want to read that one, too.

As for the rear design, I like the split rear. It does give better visibility while blocking the headlights of cars following too close. But, it was also a point of criticism for Mitsubishi so I understand why they changed it. When I first saw the new design, I immediately thought of a Honda CR-V or a Subaru Crosstrek, but now that you mention it, I do see a little of the Lancer sportback (that's what they called it here) there. Funny, too because my wife had a sportback for 7 years. It was a fun little car to drive.

I will say that on chilly mornings, my dogs appreciate the rear heated seats. ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
That is a good review and thanks for taking the time to do it. Its good you are happy with your purchase and wish you have many miles of motoring enjoyment with it.

Reactions: mbikeboy

·
Registered
2018 Eclipse Cross SE, Diamond White Pearl
49 Posts
Well-written, practically informative and the photos are excellent. While we don't ge the Exceed version here in Canada (more along our SES model, I think) it does highlight the highs and the niggling issues of the EC. But at the end of the day, it is a beautiful automobile.

Thanks @mbikeboy; a great review and I wish you (and Mama) many happy miles in the future!

·
Registered
2017 Eclipse Cross Exceed 4WD
4 Posts
Nice review. I did notice the passenger seat is also now electric. Could not understand why the earlier exceed was not... 🤔

1 - 12 of 12 Posts