Eclipse Cross Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! We bought a brand new 2021 Eclipse Cross Exceed last weekend and am waiting to take delivery...the wait is killing me, haha! Here are some pictures of it still in pre-delivery mode. I look forward to reading through the forum and learning more about these fantastic cars. :)

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
Welcome to the forums. You've got one of the newer models with the front end redesign. We'll have to compare notes on that. Personally I'm curious about the new infotainment system. You'll have to give us an owner review after you've had it for a while.

Feel free to browse around the forums and join in wherever you like.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Welcome to the Forum mbikeboy, Hope you enjoy your new Eclipse Cross when its arrives home and that you have many happy miles with it.

Reactions: mbikeboy

·
Registered
2018 Eclipse Cross SE, Diamond White Pearl
54 Posts
Welcome to the forum @mbikeboy; good to have you and your new Exceed here. Beautiful! (y)

And I'll second @Lunatic59 on the need for a full review once you've had it for a while.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We're taking delivery tomorrow morning, and we're super-excited! I had a few spare moments at work to duck into PD to take a couple of quick pictures of it undergoing pre-delivery and after a wash before detailing (with the windows tinted at that stage). Plenty more pictures to come tomorrow hehe!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Welcome @mbikeboy. I prefer the black colour of the new model. It's a pity they took down the red on black bumper garnishes and side extensions that were available as accessories in the first week of release. I can only find the silver accents on the list now. Would look awesome with the red accents on the black Exceed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would look awesome with the red accents on the black Exceed.
I had the exact same thought...the red accents would really finish it off. The silver garnishes just seem out of place and a total mis-match, given all accents on the car are chrome (totally different to the silver). I feel Mitsubishi messed up with that decision. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We took delivery the other day, and I finally got to drive it today (the missus headed away with it over the weekend lol!)...very very very happy with it!

The sound system in the Exceed is 8" touch screen with a 510w amp and 8 speakers, and once you play around with the sound settings, it's actually a pretty darn good stereo that can crank out hard...a LOT better than I had been expecting (disregard what reviewers say about this completely). I like the simplicity of the menu's as they're not too complex to operate while driving, and there's everything in the way of information and navigation that you honestly need to be found in the system. Mirroring our phones is super easy and adds even more functionality to the car.

The heads-up display is also surprisingly good, and can be adjusted for angle at the touch of a button. It's full colour, and can display navigation as well as speed and all warning features. Not something that I'd rate as a "need", but is certainly handy to have.

The cameras all around the vehicle make parking a cinch in tight confines, and can be very easily cycled through via a button on the steering wheel.

The instrument cluster is clean-simple to read and effective. It's a little bit dated with the central information section, but strangely I'm ok with this because it's not distracting.

The climate control setup is really straightforward, with nice clear dials, although I do find the heated steering-wheel button being mounted where it is a bit odd...I'd have preferred it down by the button cluster near the door tbh. Eco-mode is a button which I doubt we'll ever use hehe. The cubby space beneath these buttons is too small for a phone which is a bit of an oversight, so already have noticed that the phones reside in the cupholders in the centre console.

I wish Mitsubishi had thought of continuing the use of this carbon fibre look on all areas where the piano black is for consistency of materials in the cabin, but eh well!

Boot space is quite generous imo, but my partner is concerned it's going to be a little bit on the smaller side for our needs...after putting her sister's pram, baby stuff, etc in the back over the weekend, the boot was full, but she carries a lot of crap around and has a pretty large pram, so I'm convinced it'll be fine. ;)

Front seats are extremely comfortable, and can easily find the right position for myself, and the steering wheel has a crazy amount of reach and rake adjustment. The leather is nice to the touch and feels supple, the heated elements get glowing-hot almost instantly, and the heated steering wheel is a nice touch. It's only heated around the 3 & 9 o'clock positions (not all way around), but this is really where you're holding the wheel 9/10 times, and that heats up instantly also. The ONE gripe (scratch that, pisses me off totally) I have is that the drivers seat doesn't have memory positions for multiple drivers...that's a pretty big screw up not to have that particularly on a top-level model, and can see this becoming a source of annoyance in no-time. I've had cars from 20yrs ago with this feature as standard, all our cars have always had this too, so what gives Mitsubishi?!

Rear seats appear quite comfortable and have heating and reclining mechanism (as you can see in the pic), as well as their own sunroof which floods the cabin with light. Passengers over the weekend loved it back there which was great to hear, but we'll hardly ever be taking passengers and I'll never be sitting back there, so I kinda don't care tbh.

Lastly is the exterior...black really, really suits this cars styling, and with the black windows, it looks super mean...almost vicious from the front. It's only a very new model (with this facelift here) and I've noticed that it turns a lot of heads in traffic. There's just the right amount of chrome used without going overboard and making it look tacky and nasty...good job there imo!

The back of the vehicle has also been updated with the upgrade, which has enlarged the boot space considerably, but also cleaned up a previously fussy-looking back end, and almost feels like a nod to the older Lancer hatch with the centre-section. One thing I'm absolutely loving is no longer smashing my head on the boot lid every time I go to use it...plenty of clearance for my 6" height. It looks much more up-to date and in line with the latest designs out there.

That's it for a quick review for now, I'll go into more detail about things as we drive it more and discover new things. :)

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
Thanks for the review @mbikeboy. You are echoing the sentiment of a lot of owners here. A couple of comments for you ...

The tray under the dash as you found out is much too shallow for a larger smartphone. I've got a Google Pixel XL and it hangs over the edge and when it slid to the left (Driver's on the left here) it interfered with the shift lever. I either couldn't put it into park or the phone got wedged in. But, I didn't want to run a cable to the console (where my 2011 Outlander had a very convenient USB port) nor did i want a phone bouncing around in the cup holder, so I 3D printed a little holder that fits in the tray and holds my phone steady, with a very short USB cable. It's neat, easy and keeps me from loading up the tray with change and straw wrappers. ;)

I heard that for 2021 Mitsubishi was moving away from the Rockford-Fosgate sound system. That's what I have in my 2019 SEL. I'd be curious to see if the new setup was an improvement or just a lateral move.

The heated steering wheel only heating the sides and not the top is head scratcher for me. I posted a bit about it in the thread where we list things we do not like about the EC. You might want to read that one, too.

As for the rear design, I like the split rear. It does give better visibility while blocking the headlights of cars following too close. But, it was also a point of criticism for Mitsubishi so I understand why they changed it. When I first saw the new design, I immediately thought of a Honda CR-V or a Subaru Crosstrek, but now that you mention it, I do see a little of the Lancer sportback (that's what they called it here) there. Funny, too because my wife had a sportback for 7 years. It was a fun little car to drive.

I will say that on chilly mornings, my dogs appreciate the rear heated seats. ;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
That is a good review and thanks for taking the time to do it. Its good you are happy with your purchase and wish you have many miles of motoring enjoyment with it.

Reactions: mbikeboy

·
Registered
2018 Eclipse Cross SE, Diamond White Pearl
54 Posts
Well-written, practically informative and the photos are excellent. While we don't ge the Exceed version here in Canada (more along our SES model, I think) it does highlight the highs and the niggling issues of the EC. But at the end of the day, it is a beautiful automobile.

Thanks @mbikeboy; a great review and I wish you (and Mama) many happy miles in the future!

·
Registered
2017 Eclipse Cross Exceed 4WD
5 Posts
Nice review. I did notice the passenger seat is also now electric. Could not understand why the earlier exceed was not... 🤔

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone! We bought a brand new 2021 Eclipse Cross Exceed last weekend and am waiting to take delivery...the wait is killing me, haha! Here are some pictures of it still in pre-delivery mode. I look forward to reading through the forum and learning more about these fantastic cars. :)

Hi mbikeboy, what state in Australia are you in and how long did you have to wait for possession once it was ordered? I've looked at the KIA Seltos but prefer the look of the Eclipse Cross - really like its styling. What model is the one down from the Exceed? I don't think I need the top of the line one (which I believe the Exceed is??)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi mbikeboy, what state in Australia are you in and how long did you have to wait for possession once it was ordered? I've looked at the KIA Seltos but prefer the look of the Eclipse Cross - really like its styling. What model is the one down from the Exceed? I don't think I need the top of the line one (which I believe the Exceed is??)
Hey Smokey, I'm in Victoria. We were extremely lucky and there just happened to be this very car brought into inventory the afternoon before we did the paperwork...it was a fluke! The model down from the Exceed is the Aspire (also an excellent car), but for a fraction few more $'s there's more than enough to justify the purchase for the Exceed. From my understanding, more vehicle stock is starting to become available, so there should be more choice now. ;)

Prior to purchasing, we did the whole "spreadsheet of comparison" of different makes, models, features, warranties, servicing, etc, and the Exceed was a runaway winner. We originally had our hearts set on a new BMW X1, BMW 3-Series wagon, or the Volvo XC40 (faaaar more expensive vehicles), but when tallying up the spreadsheet, the Eclipse Cross Exceed obliterated all competition. It ticks every box for needs and wants, has enough punch when needed, is super comfy, easy to drive on the open road and in the city (thanks to excellent tech), price was undisputed, and it is super-cheap to own. It doesn't do any one thing brilliantly, it's just everything brilliantly.

I have hands-on experience with Kia's, and I'm truly not a fan at all. They have amazing infotainment systems and decent styling, but once you look past that initial glitz and have to drive it every day, you're confronted with cheap, nasty and hard plastics everywhere (to offset the price of gizmo's to be competitive), feel somewhat cheap with materials and fit/finish, are fairly uninspiring to drive, and their reliability is also debatable... a warranty is great, but you don't want to have to use it and be without your vehicle for a period of time. Would I buy a Kia, nope! Would I buy the Eclipse Cross, yep and already have...it's a vastly more substantial-feeling vehicle that has styling which won't date, has a 10yr warranty, and will have awesome resale later on!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Smokey, I'm in Victoria. We were extremely lucky and there just happened to be this very car brought into inventory the afternoon before we did the paperwork...it was a fluke! The model down from the Exceed is the Aspire (also an excellent car), but for a fraction few more $'s there's more than enough to justify the purchase for the Exceed. From my understanding, more vehicle stock is starting to become available, so there should be more choice now. ;)

Prior to purchasing, we did the whole "spreadsheet of comparison" of different makes, models, features, warranties, servicing, etc, and the Exceed was a runaway winner. We originally had our hearts set on a new BMW X1, BMW 3-Series wagon, or the Volvo XC40 (faaaar more expensive vehicles), but when tallying up the spreadsheet, the Eclipse Cross Exceed obliterated all competition. It ticks every box for needs and wants, has enough punch when needed, is super comfy, easy to drive on the open road and in the city (thanks to excellent tech), price was undisputed, and it is super-cheap to own. It doesn't do any one thing brilliantly, it's just everything brilliantly.

I have hands-on experience with Kia's, and I'm truly not a fan at all. They have amazing infotainment systems and decent styling, but once you look past that initial glitz and have to drive it every day, you're confronted with cheap, nasty and hard plastics everywhere (to offset the price of gizmo's to be competitive), feel somewhat cheap with materials and fit/finish, are fairly uninspiring to drive, and their reliability is also debatable... a warranty is great, but you don't want to have to use it and be without your vehicle for a period of time. Would I buy a Kia, nope! Would I buy the Eclipse Cross, yep and already have...it's a vastly more substantial-feeling vehicle that has styling which won't date, has a 10yr warranty, and will have awesome resale later on!
Thank-you so much for the information. I am a "senior" person and currently drive a 2014 Hyundai Elantra SE which has been a great car and hasn't given me any issues at all (mind you, I only do around 8000km a year). However, I have knee problems and think that an SUV will have a higher entry/exit so as to make it easier for me. After reading your review on the Eclipse Cross I definitely intend to take it for a test drive. If the test drive impresses me as much as the outer appearance of the vehicle ...... I will soon be a happy driver in a 2021 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross driving around Adelaide!😄

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank-you so much for the information. I am a "senior" person and currently drive a 2014 Hyundai Elantra SE which has been a great car and hasn't given me any issues at all (mind you, I only do around 8000km a year). However, I have knee problems and think that an SUV will have a higher entry/exit so as to make it easier for me. After reading your review on the Eclipse Cross I definitely intend to take it for a test drive. If the test drive impresses me as much as the outer appearance of the vehicle ...... I will soon be a happy driver in a 2021 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross driving around Adelaide!😄
I'm a bit younger than you (middle-aged), but have proper leg issues, and can honestly say that it's easier to "slide across" rather than climb up into a 4x4 or drop down into a car. The only issue I've found later since buying is giving the car a spirited fang through corners (like proper throwing it in). When the missus and I went away for holidays a few weeks ago, I tried that, and didn't have the confidence to push too hard (we did come from a Subaru Liberty GT Premium wagon with sticky Bridgestones!). The factory Toyo tyres simply aren't up to the task of delivering what we were asking, and we had a giggle about it. Tyres are the weakest point of the car, but we'll put up with them because y'know, driving slow with a baby onboard.

The savings from the BMW or Volvo were enough for us to afford a new Kawasaki Ninja motorbike, so that's my fix for speed.;)

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have knee problems
Hi @SMOKEY , welcome to the forums. I find the EC great for entry and exit as the lower sills are shorter than most cars enabling you get closer to the car and seat without having to stretch. The doors close flush against the sills with sealing rubbers so there is no noise and very good weather sealing. As opposed to other cars that have the sills projecting out below the door. Check it out when you go for a test drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi @SMOKEY , welcome to the forums. I find the EC great for entry and exit as the lower sills are shorter than most cars enabling you get closer to the car and seat without having to stretch. The doors close flush against the sills with sealing rubbers so there is no noise and very good weather sealing. As opposed to other cars that have the sills projecting out below the door. Check it out when you go for a test drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a bit younger than you (middle-aged), but have proper leg issues, and can honestly say that it's easier to "slide across" rather than climb up into a 4x4 or drop down into a car. The only issue I've found later since buying is giving the car a spirited fang through corners (like proper throwing it in). When the missus and I went away for holidays a few weeks ago, I tried that, and didn't have the confidence to push too hard (we did come from a Subaru Liberty GT Premium wagon with sticky Bridgestones!). The factory Toyo tyres simply aren't up to the task of delivering what we were asking, and we had a giggle about it. Tyres are the weakest point of the car, but we'll put up with them because y'know, driving slow with a baby onboard.

The savings from the BMW or Volvo were enough for us to afford a new Kawasaki Ninja motorbike, so that's my fix for speed.;)
I'm a bit too old to be dashing around on a motorcycle!!! :rolleyes: Were you able to negotiate on price when you purchased your Eclipse Cross?

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
I don't know what it's like where you are @SMOKEY, but in the U.S. negotiation on price is all part of the dealer experience. I was probably able to get it down $2500 from the sticker, which still was a little pricey but considering how much I'm enjoying my 2019 SEL (U.S. equivalent of the Exceed) it was worth it. One of the best times to shop here is in the last week of any month when sales people are trying to meet quotas.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts