Eclipse Cross Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
£1.34.9p here for 95 octane E5 which is £6.14p per gallon. And that is a supermarket price, which are usually a few pence cheaper than stand alone Petrol forecourts operations.
Exchange Rate £1 to the $ 1.39 at the moment or thereby.
All blamed on Covid 19 and the world wide effect it is having on supply and prices.

Reactions: Gerrymac

·
Super Moderator
494 Posts
All blamed on Covid 19 and the world wide effect it is having on supply and prices.
Everyone who believes that, kiss a unicorn. 🤪

I am old enough to remember the fuel crisis of the '70s when you could only by gas on certain days and there were lines everywhere. At the time we were paying about $0.50/gal at the pump. As soon as the price was driven up to $1.00/gallon there was plenty of gas for everyone. Sure, production, supply, demand, competition all factor into it ... to a point. But, it's clear that global energy is working to move away from fossil fuels and these oil barons know their days are numbered.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm in the Midwest. It's now $3 a gallon here too.
Rest easy, I got unleaded (no ethanol) the other day for AUD$1.35 per litre which is cheap for us at the moment. In Sydney, the state capital, it's running at AUD$1.58 a litre. At 3.7854 litres to the US gallon we are just above the price you are paying there. Over AUD$5 a US gallon (roughly USD$3.68) at my cheap price. Nearly AUD$6 (roughly USD$4.41) in Sydney.

UK is worse than us with 4.55 litres to the imperial (UK) gallon. Equivalent of £0.72p per litre at my cheap price or £3.28 per imperial gallon.

All these rates are at the current exchange for the AUD today.

Everyone who believes that, kiss a unicorn. 🤪
I was posted to Schofield Barracks on Oahu in Hawaii on a military exchange at the time of the gas shortages there. I remember the freeways had a minimum speed of 35 mph and a maximum of 55 mph. Didn't do much personal driving then so it wasn't a hit to my pocket.

In Australia at that time we were paying something like 27 to 30 cents a litre but the government instituted a fuel levy after the crisis that bumped the price up significantly and has been with us ever since. Our pump prices are primarily a heavy fuel levy plus a small amount for the cost of the actual litre. Fills the government tax coffers. They are having caniptions here trying to work out how to tax electric vehicles so they can continue to reap the tax profits. Our state will tax EV mileage per kilometre in a few years time though they have introduced incentives for people to invest in an EV with tax breaks to a certain price limit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
£1.91 for Unleaded and £1.93 for Diesel and not one ounce of action by anyone.I remember a few yrs back it had risen to £1.30 and there was an outcry..I dread come the Autumn/Winter for fuel and heat for our homes..

21 - 31 of 31 Posts