Eclipse Cross Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
I must admit that I feel the sluggishness of the car first thing each day but it picks up the game after a few accelerations and performs normally for me. The learning process, apparently, kicks in but would be better if it remembered the settings from last drive. Much like how the transmissions in other Mitsubishi's with select drive worked in the past learned your driving habits. Oh well...

·
Super Moderator
271 Posts
Could it be less about needing to relearn driving habits and more about protecting a cold engine/transmission? Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I usually let the car sit 3-5 minutes to warm up before I drive. Now it’s not every time but it is most. I would think the engine would be up to temp more or less. Now the tranny having to warm up I have no idea. I had way more powerful non- turbo cars never had a problem with the tranny warming up. Could it be Turbo / tranny getting up to temp? I have no idea honestly .

·
Registered
89 Posts
Honestly some days I’m surprised how slow the CVT is from a stop and others it seems zippy. Didn’t know there were different t maps . That would probably explain it. So it resets each time it’s turned off? That’s a shame.
Yep.. if you drive eclipse cross and dont knw how to use tiptronic/ paddle shifters in manual mode then you won't get much out .... was previous owner of outlander sport/ asx and a co worker had same and said that the asx is very slow until I gave her a test ride in it and she's shock and confuse..as they have never put gear selector in nothing but "D" drive.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Get one with a manual gearbox and save a lot of problems, If your dealer only sells autos, tell them no deal and get manuals in stock, or else.:LOL:(y):LOL:

Reactions: Rıfat

·
Registered
113 Posts
Since the first iteration
Honestly some days I’m surprised how slow the CVT is from a stop and others it seems zippy. Didn’t know there were different t maps . That would probably explain it. So it resets each time it’s turned off? That’s a shame.
Since the first iteration if INVECS, Mitsubishi has marketed that it's a "self-learning" system. And I will lean slightly toward agreement that it somewhat works. That's why I say pop the shifter into manual shift mode, and don't manually shift. Let the car shift up for you.

If the TCU senses that you're depressing the pedal and trying to drive it to redline (meaning, you're "driving it like you stole it), then when you pop the shifter back to normal driving mode, you'll notice that it'll be more responsive --- somewhat.

I can't verify this, but I suspect it has everything to do with rev-matching. The programming on this CVT is still very lackluster, like a cyclist who doesn't know how to shift using large and small gears to get the most torque. And perhaps it's by design - conservative, to safeguard the transmission from undue load and wear.

But, that only means that the engine gets to work harder. Like the cyclist who's pedaling at heart-attack pace because he doesn't want to shift down on his large gear.

In theory, CVTs are great because you could (theoretically) stick to the ideal gear ratio to match RPMs and remain within the powerband. However, we all know you can't change the fact that, by design, max gear ratios are fixed - either by engineering or by programming. By coaxing the Cross to rev all the way to redline, what you're influencing is that "large gear" cone (still using the bike analogy here) to remain in the higher torque setting. (Basically, a higher gear ratio on lower RPMs to get more power.) In CVT speak, it's really the output shaft cone matching closer to engine RPMs than overdrive. Which, I believe most will agree - this is stupid (dropping down to low, OD-type ratios) when you're trying to accelerate.

You'll find that the ECU doesn't always respond to the request. It takes driving the vehicle this way for a few minutes for it to get the point. But that's the only way I know how to even attempt to force the result. --- by telling the ECU/TCU "hey, dude --- need torque, you see me depressing the pedal to 100%???"

If anyone can find a person who can reflash this TCU to produce the designed effect, that would be totally awesome. Because at this point, this is like asking a habitual D-student to compete in a Mensa contest.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Get one with a manual gearbox and save a lot of problems, If your dealer only sells autos, tell them no deal and get manuals in stock, or else.:LOL:(y):LOL:
Yeah, as @MrJEHowley said, unfortunately that's just not an option if you want AWD. Manuals are only available in FWD variants.

Unless one opts to transplant a compatible one (I dunno --- @Willisjamaica surprised me when he said his is a 4B11... which leads me to wonder what the bolt-pattern looks like on the bell housing), we're just SOL, boys. Not unless you want to drop ridiculous amounts of money into this pipe dream.

·
Registered
113 Posts
By the way, if anyone's brave enough to try this --- please let us know.

Any youngins out there brave enough? :)

GO HOON IT BABY! (and let us oldtimers know how your butt dyno felt about paying $350 for the "experience")

And, some videos / testimonials. (the second one explains what it actually does. Kinda 'duh.)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts