Eclipse Cross Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi has anyone experienced the same problems I have with a manual gearbox?
I brought my Eclipse Cross 4 at 9 months old with 3900 miles on the clock, when selecting 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd gear it would sometimes crunch into gear even with the clutch pedal fully depressed.
I complained to the dealer who agreed the gearbox had a problem, so the car went in for a gearbox replacement.
I was given another Eclipse Cross 4 to use which had a similar problem though not as dramatic.
My gearbox was replaced with a new gearbox from Mitsubishi, now sometimes it takes all your strength to select 2nd gear although it no longer crunches into gear.
I have Mitsubishi Technical now interested in testing the car as I feel there is an underlying design defect with these gearboxes.....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not having any problem as such, though second gear can be a little reluctant to engage when the car is started from cold, but once warmed up is quite acceptable.
Second gear cannot be hurried, but otherwise find the gearbox selection very good. I'm not a fan of automatics and like to control the gear selection, thus having a manual box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi has anyone experienced the same problems I have with a manual gearbox?
I brought my Eclipse Cross 4 at 9 months old with 3900 miles on the clock, when selecting 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd gear it would sometimes crunch into gear even with the clutch pedal fully depressed.
I complained to the dealer who agreed the gearbox had a problem, so the car went in for a gearbox replacement.
I was given another Eclipse Cross 4 to use which had a similar problem though not as dramatic.
My gearbox was replaced with a new gearbox from Mitsubishi, now sometimes it takes all your strength to select 2nd gear although it no longer crunches into gear.
I have Mitsubishi Technical now interested in testing the car as I feel there is an underlying design defect with these gearboxes.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
I’ve the same problem with my gearbox which I’m being told is a characteristic of the vehicle ?
Bet they wouldn’t put that in the brochure
Anyway I’m interested to find out if there has been any take up in Mitsubishi Technical having a look at the problem
I think they’re just going to keep the it’s not a fault it’s a characteristic going if people accept it

·
Registered
220 Posts
My car was in for its service recently and I mentioned that when starting from cold, sometimes second gear was a bit difficult to select. Said they would look at it and see if the selection cables were okay and if any lubrication was required. They said no fault was found on the road test, but appreciated that the car was warm at the time. However I have found that the gear is easier to engage when cold since the service was done, so some small adjustment must have been done. Or, as the mileage increases, the newness wears off, curing the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I asked about adjustment or bleeding clutch as suggested in another post
And was just told that they know nothing about it and followed the line of a characteristic

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think the bleeding of the clutch hydraulics could be well worth while. At least ensures there is no problem arising from the clutch not fully disengaging, causing a drag/ pre load on the gear selection mechanism. Give it a try, and see if there is an improvement. Following my recent service, I notice a definite improvement in 2nd gear selection, but still not a gear that can be hurried too much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Asked the workshop manager after seeing your previous post about this but he said it would make no difference

1 - 8 of 8 Posts