Eclipse Cross Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi Kevg, Where abouts' in GB are you. My dealer is in Linwood, near Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland. Maybe a bit far away from you though.
In the past few days I have been paying more attention on how the second gear behaves when selecting it up or down. It is performing really well and when out this morning
it was slipping into gear now with no resistance whatsoever, even from cold. It was also down to 3*C overnight here.
So be assured, that there should be no question of having any difficulty in selecting this gear. My car is an Eclipse Cross 3, 2x4, front wheel drive only, and can honestly say there is absolutely no problem with the gear change action. Since the service in May this year, second gear action is perfect.. My cars mileage is just over 18000 miles, so is now well run in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’m in Newcastle so no chance of me getting to Paisley I’d get stopped at the border !!

have you had the gearbox upgrade or just the throttle rewrite ?

glad that yours isn’t having any dramas with gears
Mine has 16000 and I’ve done about 4500 driving in that total

·
Registered
389 Posts
To my knowledge no gearbox upgrade as such has occurred. I only mentioned to the dealer reception when in for the annual service, that sometimes I found the second gear a bit difficult to engage when the engine was started up from cold; but once warm it was okay, though still a bit notchy to engage. They said they would look at the gear selection cables and see if anything needed to be adjusted or lubricated. Since then and on getting the car back, there was a notable improvement in this gears selection and as time has gone on; it has improved further. Today for example, when driving through Greenock, I had to go from 5th straight to second gear, which it did with absolutely ease and with no resistance whatsoever. Just slip in as normal as you like.
During the Service and also after mentioning the easy stall problem, which they seemed to know of, the Throttle Software rewrite was applied, and it has totally cured that problem.
During the service obviously they did some small adjustment somewhere, but say other than checking over the gear selection linkage and lubricating it, nothing else was done in that area.
With regard to your car, I still believe that first of all the clutch hydraulics should be bled through, to ensure there is absolutely no air in the system, and then take things from there. Someone on here had that done, and it seemed to cure his problem, with the clutch action now operating as it should.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks a gain for your insight into the problem I will be going to another dealership with the problem to see what can be done once I’ve finished doing my bit with the army reserve
Many thanks so far and of course I will post what was done and the out come

·
Registered
40 Posts
Finally got there !!!!!
as at 14/10/2020 there is an technical publication saying that not only do you get an upgrade of the throttle but also a physical change of the gearbox to stop the grinding noise on selecting either first or second gear
Again telferstr thank you for your assistance and for everyone who has posted on this problem
Please don’t take the dealership line that it’s a characteristic it is not !!! It’s a fault but if you don’t report it they will not lift a finger to help or advise you there is a problem at all ?
It’s taken me months to get to this outcome even after showing this website to them
Get in there and get your car sorted if the Germans got their upgrades last year don’t lose the chance

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi Kevg,
Good to read that you have made progress and got your problems with your car sorted out. Well done for your persistence.
Did you have to go to another dealer altogether, or was it the same one you had been dealing with?
Anyway, here's now hoping you can start to fully enjoy your car with this fault cured.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Same dealership still had to point out to them that there had been a tech bulletin put out by Mitsubishi and eventually they found it !!
shame they hadn’t listened about this forum 5 months ago and investigated?
but still hope others see this and can use it to get their cars sorted
Thanks again for your pointers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys

I’m in the Lincolnshire and have my car booked in for gear box problems it’s ok coming down gears it’s just 1st to 2nd sometimes, and after reading I think the throttle needs doing as my girlfriend stalls it all the time I sometimes do because acceleration in 1st gear is so strong.

any advice that could help me tell them all this please

thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry for taking so long to get back it sounds exactly the same as mine have replied on another post but get in touch with customer services to make sure they know about the faults if they say they haven’t heard of this before they are lying 🤥
And insist they get in touch with your dealership to confirm you can get it done !
try for a new gearbox and clutch because wear will have occurred due to the faults 👍

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quick update !
So my dealership hadn’t got back to me as he thought he’d said they would do it after lockdown?
A lie
He then had to check if they were in stock ? Do he hadn’t even ordered it so that once lockdown was over he could call my car in ?
they aren’t in stock so that shows that people are getting it done ?
the date of the technical bulletin is 14/10/2020
As I get a grinding I did ask for it to have 1st & 2nd gear to be checked and was told during the strip everything was ok but the oil found to be thin ?
Hence the adding of the upgraded oil ?
I pointed out that due to all the grinding of gears a warranty change of my gearbox should be carried out at which point he stated that the checking of the gearbox had never actually been done and nearly stated I was lying but due to both my wife and I being there when we were told the there was nothing wrong with the cog he was on a losing battle.
So they are going to strip the gearbox and check the cog ! And let me go and see it myself if nothing found but if it’s got wear will get a new cog !! ( new gearbox £9000)
So I’m getting the new clutch plate and clutch to cure the take up of drive and a ecu rewrite !
So hopefully in the new year will drive much better?
Hope this helps and gives you more ammunition to go at your dealership with ?
Remember they will do and say anything to try to get you to believe it’s just a characteristic of the car and something you’ll get used too !!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi Kevg,
Good to hear you are making good but slow progress in getting your car sorted out. The people you are having to deal with, do not seem to be very honest with you, and thereby not doing Mitsubishi any favours at all. In fact, the complete opposite.
Once you get your car back and running as it should, I think a letter to the Mitsubishi UK HQ would not go amiss, detailing the experience you have been through to get your car sorted out. I appreciate Mitsubishi have decided to leave the UK and European markets, but in the meantime, they still need to to be represented by good and sound dealership people, who know how customers should be treated, being able to turn a bad experience into a good one.
Hope all goes well from now on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
As of today I’m being told that there is a stock back log with 7 containers stuck at various ferry ports ?
if only they had ordered when they told me they would?
yes fingers crossed that the whole process will fix the fault and give me peace of mind thatI can select a gear without it grinding or stalling?
just hope that everyone else who has this fault isn’t having to fight as hard as we have just to get things rolling ?
I’ve put about 400 miles on the car just visiting the dealership?
so hopefully in the new year I’ll report again on what’s been done and how it’s all turned out ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine said they would get back to me after they put a request in to head office with any technical info for the problem and that was a week ago still awaiting a reply.

I’m going to call again Tomorrow as I’m always worried of grinding second gear.

I will keep you all informed To if I get anything replaced

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just now getting caught up in this discussion. Very interesting though. I would have suggested that it's the 2nd gear synchro - not an uncommon one to fail. (As always the shift to/from third.)

I'm curious though guys - do you know who makes the M/T on the Cross? It's not MHI, is it? Getrag?

Here's a roundabout "other thing" to look into, once you've gotten the new gearbox.

If there are other cars with similar or interchangeable gear shifter components, I'd look into getting a short shifter. Now, this recommendation isn't based on experience with the M/T in the Cross - but in past cars, I've found that shortening the throw of that shifter can help with the "preciseness" (yes, I know that's not a word) of your shift. The throw from 2nd to 3rd is particularly cumbersome, as the arm tends to prefer "pulling in" as opposed to "pushing out and away". A short shifter decreases that effort - and might extend your 2nd/ 3rd gear trans synchro's lives in that roundabout way.

·
Registered
188 Posts
God! Everything is electronic these days! Now I'm not even sure if that last bit of a recommendation makes a difference. LOL/facepalm

MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE CROSS TRANSMISSION GEAR SHIFT SHIFTER LEVER OEM 2018 - 2019✔ | eBay
(Note: the above is just for reference. Used to be, there were shifter cables that connected to the end of a shift lever. Now, I don't even know.)

Is there even still a shift cable in these things? Too lazy right now to check the FSM...

Here - if not a lever replacement, maybe a knob. Cuts the throw down by shortening the threaded length of the shift knob by about 1 inch. Just another example.
M12*1.25 White Gear Shift Knob Ball Short Throw Round Shifter Lever Thread Knob | eBay

·
Registered
389 Posts
As far as I know the 5 and 6 speed manual gearboxes are an in house designed and maufactued by Mitsubishi. Stand to be corrected of course.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks, @Telferstr . Would be good to know, as traditionally, the 5-speeds (F5Mxx) have all been MHI, but the 6-speeds (F6Mxx)have been from Getrag. This includes the DCT (W6DGA) in the Evo MR / CZ RalliArt, and some older EU Outlanders (lucky bastards who probably don't even realize what they have). There's one exception, being the F6MBA in the 4th Gen Eclipse - made by Aisin-Warner. TOYOTA, bishez!!! Fucking worlds better than fucking Nissan!

Transmission Ratios

F6A Automatics were also MHI, but I believe some may have been outsourced. Can't remember for the life of me to whom those contracts were awarded.

Reactions: Telferstr

·
Registered
188 Posts
Man, brings back memories - digging into data, doing research on drivetrain conversions. That AW BG6. Such a fine transmission. If only we could have found a compatible transfer case that would work with it. Sadly, it was really just meant as a FF transmission. I'm sure a custom T/C axle setup would have worked. But who wants to dump tons of money on a custom drivetrain for a road car, when you could just as easily perform a conversion.

Again, that Getrag DCT470 would be an excellent candidate. I just don't know if it'll mate up with the 4B40 without having to convert/plate a bellhousing adapter.
DCT470s are upgrade-ready, to handle as much as 800 lb-ft with aftermarket clutch plates. SO many options out there... if Mitsu just weren't so tied to the balls with Nissan.

Disgusting, really. Dirty shame. They blue-ball themselves all the time with crappy product marketing/sourcing calls like this.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My Jaguar S-Type had a Getrag 5 speed manual gearbox, that was a delight to use, and helped to give the 2.5 V6 petrol engine a great performance.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Nice, @Telferstr. Getrag does make solid transmissions, and especially solid M/T units. They're outstanding primarily as street gearsets - which is great for most of us! And, not to mention, extremely reliable.

I remember the 6-speed in the 3000GT/GTO - first taste of a Getrag trans. Very smooth, silky transmission and engagement that really made the GTO feel like a proper touring car. However, many folks have attested that the gearsets are not as strong as they need to be, for the power output that GTO owners often want to (or can) push. By design, of course. And that's okay! Because other than the Evo, most Mitsubishi vehicles are roadgoing vehicles after all.

That's been the conundrum with Mitsubishi's transmissions - is that the (known) max torque ratings are often not as high as the engines can push. And that's probably why most drag race or offroad variants go to race manufacturers like Ricardo or KAPS for either full bolt-on SMT race units, or custom gear sets (e.g. PPG).

The cool thing about the DCT is, it's very much like an SMT. There's no second-guessing shifts. No synchros to grind, no clutch to wear down by clutch-riding (well... you can, but not in the same way as you do a traditional Manual). First thing to love about the DCT, is that you get instant, reliable shifts. And this thing PULLS! If you check the gearing on this transmission, it's really not meant for fuel economy. Tall gears, that definitely help to always keep you in boost.

Now, the absolute BEST part about the DCT --- you NEVER have to let off boost from 1st all the way to 6th! No joke. The ETACS-ECU ensures that boost pressures are kept linear through gear shifts, and that definitely helps keep you in the powerband all throughout the run. Because after all - it's almost like there's no shift going on with the milliseconds it takes to switch gears.

Now, there are so many naysayers out there. Failure this, fault that. I maintain that everything breaks down, especially if not serviced. But, there's are huge differences between Engineering flaw and improper use/abuse. As with everything, upgrading an engine and not a transmission is just asking for trouble. Or, racing without proper prep. And that's where most issues come in, I think.

Back to the original topic (kinda), I really wish EC owners didn't have to deal with issues like engineering flaws, but sadly they do happen. In many cases, that's why companies do well to outsource expertise like transmission design to proven leaders in the industry. And that's why in many ways I wish Mits just kept with Getrag or Aisin-Warner. Because MHI just doesn't seem to be as innovative in transmission design as it was decades ago --- and JATCO... well... I've overstated my piece on that monumentally disappointing piece of shit too many times already.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts