Eclipse Cross Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Also, another squirreling comment about Getrag. The BG6 unit (F6MBA) in the 4th Gen V6 Eclipse, I've said as well many times before, is perhaps the best FF M/T ever put in a Mitsubishi. 6 gears, tall gear ratios, more "race-of-center" (allusion/play on the colloquial "right-of-center") final drives --- TWO of them, in fact. What's awesome about the BG6, is that, although it's a single-clutch system, it's got a dual output-shaft design. So in many ways like your typical DCT. That's why there are two forward final drives. What most people don't realize is that this design provides two latent benefits. First, performs well under load (e.g., in a drag race/ 0-60 scenario) from 1st to 4th gear - but also gives it a comfortable, more fuel-efficient overdrive (5th to 6th). And second, it drastically lowers the drivetrain lossy from crank to asphalt. Whereas most M/Ts impose about a 15-18% loss in power through the drivetrain components, the BG6 is known to push significantly less - about 10 to 12%, roundabouts. For a transmission available in 2006, that's frickin' awesome!

And that's one of the reasons the last Eclipse, though FWD, was awesome. Best OEM FF M/T ever dropped into in a Mitsubishi, paired with the best N/A engine --- with an immense upgrade ceiling --- ever dropped into a Mitsubishi. Ignore what the automotive press says - because all they care about is what froo-froo stuff you get straight out of the new/used car lot. It's like seeing a curvy woman and saying, "oh my, look at those hips --- she's going to be a great mother."

Anyway, I just had to drop that spiel. Carry on :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
sorry for late reply Christmas is hectic lol
My dealer said they would get back to me I waited three weeks so i rang head office they said it only takes a day to get a reply from there tech team. so I rang them and they said yeah we have heard back from technical team ( I waited three weeks for nothing)
they have said that they found a bulletin but that is nothing to do with my problems and that is to do with hill start problems not grinding of gears.
So the next step for me is that they will check gear cables and see if that helps if not they will go back to technical team.

I said someone else has same problems as me and was told that bulletin was for the problem and they just said we have to follow a process.

I think there is a lot of make it up as we go along I would expect this from Del Boy not Mitsubishi

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi Andy,
Make sure they try bleeding the Clutch Hydraulics first, to ensure there is no air in the clutch hydraulic system. This will ensure that the clutch is disengaging fully with no preload on any of the gears.
By doing this a lone it has cured the problem for a number of people on the forum, and is a simple and straight forward exercise for any competent outfit to do.
If you read through this thread completely, it will also show other methods that have been used to cure the clutch problem experienced by various owners.
Hope you can get the matter sorted out and don't be fob off by any dealer saying is a characteristic of the car. Its not, its a fault which can and has been cured completely, as the above information shows..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Andy
It’s the rewrite for stalling that is the tech bulletin
And added to the end is the clutch plate upgrade
Hope this is helpful

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi

thanks everyone I’m booked in tomorrow so hopefully will be futher in the process of it being fixed I tried the car in eco mode and I kept stalling really easy I told them three days ago that I suffered with stalling but I only really suffer in eco mode. And they have said they will look into it Monday

will update you tomorrow with what they say

thanks all

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi

sorry not messaged back I was waiting for news but nothing as of yet.
they did the gear cables and I thinks it’s worse now lol.

they said they will put it back to tech team to find out what to do next, they said they have to do it in stages to what tech team tell them

but what pisses you off this was a week ago and they never call you.

I said why can you not just ring the dealer that knows about the fault and find out what they know they said they will mention it to tech team but they can not do anything without there advise.
so they won’t bleed clutch to try that till tech team tell them.
it will save all the stupid messing around costing them more money doing stuff that clearly don’t work....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi has anyone experienced the same problems I have with a manual gearbox?
I brought my Eclipse Cross 4 at 9 months old with 3900 miles on the clock, when selecting 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd gear it would sometimes crunch into gear even with the clutch pedal fully depressed.
I complained to the dealer who agreed the gearbox had a problem, so the car went in for a gearbox replacement.
I was given another Eclipse Cross 4 to use which had a similar problem though not as dramatic.
My gearbox was replaced with a new gearbox from Mitsubishi, now sometimes it takes all your strength to select 2nd gear although it no longer crunches into gear.
I have Mitsubishi Technical now interested in testing the car as I feel there is an underlying design defect with these gearboxes.....
Hi I have a 2020 one which only had 360 miles on when purchased as ex demo on the clock and now has only 2000 miles on it and I have exactly the same problem. The dealer Roger Youngs of Plymouth test drove it and said they could not replicate the fault which made me feel a right numpty as it is a bad crunching grinding noise going from first to second. They said they would get another one for me to test but not heard a dickie bird from them.
I personally think they are trying to hide a serious problem and now with your post I am convinced.

I think there should be a factory recall as there is obviously something wrong. I was a bit miffed that they said to be it’s a bit clunky but so is the ASX!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Do not take no for an answer Toptighty. There can be a little resistance feel on the gear lever when completely cold but this should disappear completely when the car has warmed up. My car will go from 5th gear straight into second with no resistance at all. Not that I do that often but it dose happen now and then. If you are being given the run around, contact Mitsubishi GB directly. They know all the ins and outs of this problem and should instruct their dealer to attend to it, and what they should be doing to correct the FAULT.
Now the decision to pull out of the UK and European Markets has been taken, Mitsubishi has stated and given assurance that full back for their products will still be available for a number of years yet Mitsubishi e-mail, getting in touch [email protected]
Customer Service 01285 647774

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your help @Telferstr i will contact them on Monday morning. The ironic thing is I did order a Shogan Sport but had to change the order last minute as I had to compromise with Wife as she said she wouldn’t drive it being a auto. So regretfully I did and bought her a Mirage at the same time. The manual gearbox on the Mirage is perfect no problems 🙁

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hope you can get it sorted out okay so you can enjoy the car without this issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all

I have now got somewhere my Grimsby Mitsubishi basically ended up telling me it’s how the car should be go find a second opinion...
so I did I went to Mitsubishi Hull they had my car for the day and they have been so much better they have ordered the new clutch parts and going to do the stalling rewrite.
Due to lockdown tho and demand it’s on backorder so going to have to wait a bit longer

thanks for everyone’s help and hope this will stop the grinding of 1st to 2nd

😃 don’t give up dealers are all not owned by Mitsubishi that’s what head office said when I wanted to complain I would have to do it with that dealership itself, they just fibbing you off

it’s so frustrating and if this eventually fixes my problems I will make them know about it.

·
Super Moderator
445 Posts
Glad you were able to find a dealership willing to help you @andy146881 (y) I've walked away from several dealerships in my lifetime for exactly the sort of brush-off shenanigans you describe.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Andy, Drop a line to Mitsubishi UK and report your experience. The Grimsby dealer is doing Mitsubishi no favours at all. Mind you with Mitsubishi withdrawing from the European and British markets, the dealer has probably lost interest and is possibly now looking for an alternative franchise. Their attitude however is not doing themselves any favours for future business, be it Mitsubishi or whatever new franchise may follow..
Pleased you have found a competent dealer to sort out your problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks all,
It’s amazing how different each dealership is in the way they do things I said to head office Grimsby dealership is giving your brand a bad name and how many other poor people have been told the same thing and said yeah ok and give up.

Iv just got a date booked in for the 4-5th of March to get parts fitted.
I will let you guys know if this actually fixes the gear problems and stalling when fitted

·
Registered
40 Posts
Andy hope yours turned out as good as mine did !
Cars driving great after the clutch plate and ecu rewrite
Even got them to check that no damage was caused internally on the first and second gears in the box so eventually after lots of complaints a good ending

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all
Finally managed to get someone to agree that there is a fault with the gearbox
After 3 failed attempts to get someone to check or take me seriously it’s gone into the garage for a 3 day visit for a check up ( service was 2 weeks ago with no faults found )
This morning I had phone call stating they found a fault !!!
The technical department at Mitsubishi have suggested that a better much more expensive oil needs to be used?
The technician has said it’s already made a massive improvement to the gear selection?
So will update once it’s been tested tomorrow morning
I have an Eclipse Cross 2 2018 and since new the gearbox has given me cause of concern. Moving from first gear into second you can feel the gear cogs engaging, its as if the synchromesh is at fault. Dealership accepted there was an issue and first they changed the gearbox oil, asked to run it a month to see if there was any improvement. There wasn't so they then changed clutch presure plate and again asked to run for a month but the issue remains so the gearbox was eventually changed and still I have the same issues, 1st into 2nd, often there is an problem engaging 4th gear. I now hear Mitsubishi are pulling out of UK in September (2021) . The car has to go in on Friday next for a recall due to the auto braking system and I have asked the dealer to look again at this. I have had the linkage cables shecked and it seems there is no adjustment which rules this out.

Interested to hear if anyone experienced the same issues with manual 2 wheel drive gearbox.

Oad an aside issue,, taking off in first has to be cautiously, i.e. no fast take of or wheels just spin a really annoying issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is the section giving a full story, Click on the above red colour Gearbox Problems.
I have an Eclipse Cross 2 2018 and since new the gearbox has given me cause of concern. Moving from first gear into second you can feel the gear cogs engaging, its as if the synchromesh is at fault. Dealership accepted there was an issue and first they changed the gearbox oil, asked to run it a month to see if there was any improvement. There wasn't so they then changed clutch presure plate and again asked to run for a month but the issue remains so the gearbox was eventually changed and still I have the same issues, 1st into 2nd, often there is an problem engaging 4th gear. I now hear Mitsubishi are pulling out of UK in September (2021) . The car has to go in on Friday next for a recall due to the auto braking system and I have asked the dealer to look again at this. I have had the linkage cables shecked and it seems there is no adjustment which rules this out.

Interested to hear if anyone experienced the same issues with manual 2 wheel drive gearbox.

Oad an aside issue,, taking off in first has to be cautiously, i.e. no fast take of or wheels just spin a really annoying issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I have a 2020 one which only had 360 miles on when purchased as ex demo on the clock and now has only 2000 miles on it and I have exactly the same problem. The dealer Roger Youngs of Plymouth test drove it and said they could not replicate the fault which made me feel a right numpty as it is a bad crunching grinding noise going from first to second. They said they would get another one for me to test but not heard a dickie bird from them.
I personally think they are trying to hide a serious problem and now with your post I am convinced.

I think there should be a factory recall as there is obviously something wrong. I was a bit miffed that they said to be it’s a bit clunky but so is the ASX!!!
I agree, this does seem to be a build issue. My dealer went through the motions as others have described, change the gearbox oil, then change clutch plate and eventually a new gearbox. However the issue persists and is getting worse. First to second and third to fourth so I think there is a synchro issue. Can be quite disturbing at speed (4,000 revs) going from third to fourth and gear doesn't engage or crunches.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don’t think they have a fix as such but think myself it’s a gearbox problem that they are skirting around ?

61 - 79 of 79 Posts