Eclipse Cross Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I only put mitsubishi rain gaurds and I bought a black grill from a salvage yard since I didn't like the silver.

I have some other photos but internet sucks right now! : ) I think the color is darker in person or at least, if I would take better photos out of the sunlight haha.
I also bought some cool LED lights but I just can't find a good place to mount up front. I might have to just mount them underneath the rear as reverse lights, although they will be overkill.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How much was the black grille at the salvage yard?
I should have offered less because two of the lower mounting tabs were broken, but it was $150. It's a glossy black, and definitely looks better on mercury grey imo. For red ECs I think either looks good, and maybe some other colors but this looks right.

I saw new ones are $250+ and there is a carbon fiber one mitsubishi makes for $500 which seems ridiculous that it exists.

I just searched the part by name and by part number across ebay and Google and found it.

So all you n33d is a long thin flat head screwdriver and I recommend removing the intake snorkel which is just two 12mm bolts and they are front and center. Then you just pull it off. To put it back you just push it back in, and put the 12mm bolts back in.

After that, You can't just remove the grill you also have to remove the plastic piece above it that has like 8 or 9 small push pins.
Finally the grill itself - two medium sized push pins on top. And that's all. Pop the top loose. Then on the bottom there are two tabs on either side which have a curve to them If i remember right. Push them down with the flat head and move the grill to free them.

The trick is once you have only one lower tab remaining, you have to still hold it away from the car gently or it will want to reattach on the other side you just pressed down on. You can see whats happening by looking straight down into the grill from the top.
*Those automotive style pushpins, you use your flathead to raise the pin in the middle.

There you go, if you read that I hereby qualify you in grilling.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I should have offered less because two of the lower mounting tabs were broken
The reason the bottom tabs were broken is because they are a PIA to remove unless you have patience and they probably just yanked it out breaking those two clips. You found the correct method of removal. I encountered the same issue with them releasing when I removed the front bumper to install my nudge bar but because I was taking off the whole bumper the grille could remain in place. Good job.

Did you search on the standard 7450B256 part number or something different?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Your probably right! They yanked it off because they couldn't figure it out or didn't care

I checked my Google search and I used 7450B343. And when I searched the part number you wrote I find the silver with chrome accent version. My ES (base model) came with an all silver grill so there is probably another grill part number out there as well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Looks very good, but I do like my Silver Chrome Grill

·
Super Moderator
222 Posts
You guys got me thinking if I would like a black grill better ... so with a little Photoshop trickery here's a before and after.

If you ask me, it's too close to call.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think you did a great job replicating it looks about right. That's what I was saying, for some colors it can go either way. But the brown color and mercury grey I think black works better. Also my base model grill has no chrome like yours so the glossy black is slightly more visual change for me. Also the base model has a flat black bumper not glossy or black chrome style but i like that.

·
Super Moderator
222 Posts
I actually like the matte black accents. My '99 Montero sport was "desert sand" and had the flat black trim which looked so much better than the chrome accents on some of the other models. My 2011 Outlander had very little chrome as well and I wasn't too sure how I was going to like the EC with it's chromed out grill, but it's growing on me. I think yours looks just right now. (y)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea Monteros were great back in the day, I always wanted one with that cool compass off road degree ball thing they used to have on the dashboard.

·
Super Moderator
222 Posts
I'm about 45minutes south of there, the leaves are already starting to change!
Yeah, I loved to go up there in the fall. Winter was another matter. I got stuck in Burlington during a snowstorm in February. And you know it has to be bad if the Burlington airport closes!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Great head lights MountainsofBeer. That is the only thing I miss my ASX (Outlander Sport USA) for it had great wide spread headlight beams. What type of headlights do you have fitted, as they seem so much better than the ones fitted to my Eclipse Cross. On the the Dip position they seem to been far to much to the near side and not all that great range when in the main beam position. Had the dealership check their settings when in for service and they said they were to the correct settings. Will need to consider changing them for the coming winter season.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Those are cheap ebay "off-road" lights. 6" LED made by nilight. Versions are sold under different brands i think.
They are for exactly what that picture is like, backroads etc. You really can't turn them on anytime there is oncoming traffic IMO although people do. It's not that they are SO bright, but the light can dazzle drivers anyway.
I probably won't use them on the highway often over my regular high beams the factory projectors do that part well enough, but for those times when you just want to see whats around you

1 - 20 of 23 Posts