Eclipse Cross Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mitsubishi shared a new photo today teasing the upcoming Eclipse Cross Redesign.

MITSUBISHI MOTORS CORPORATION (MMC) today released a first look at the redesigned Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross, the next step in the company's commitment to delivering a showroom full of new and extensively redesigned vehicles in the United States by the second quarter of 2021. Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) recently announced this commitment to the completely refreshed showroom lineup.

A full reveal of the reimagined Eclipse Cross will showcase the details of the design, and the vehicle will arrive in showrooms across the United States in the first quarter of 2021.

Launched globally in 2017, the Eclipse Cross is a compact crossover SUV which fuses a coupe-like style with SUV capabilities. The refreshed model sports radically changed front and rear design, bringing forward a more upscale and energetic design to complement the sleek SUV styling.

"The new design draws inspiration from the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT*1 emphasizing the strength and dynamics from our SUV heritage, while enhancing the cleanliness and elegance of a coupe-like SUV," said Seiji Watanabe, division general manager of Design, MMC. "The Eclipse Cross is the first step toward the next generation of Mitsubishi Design, and there is so much more to come."

Teasing the redesigned Eclipse Cross comes on the heels of the company revealing an overview of upcoming new and extensively redesigned vehicles it will launch in the United States by the second quarter of 2021:
  • An upgraded internal-combustion powertrain and increased all-electric driving range will be added to the Outlander PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle) in Q4 of 2020
  • Bold, new styling updates outside and inside will highlight Mirage and Mirage G4 in Q1 of 2021
  • The redesigned Eclipse Cross will debut in Q1 of 2021
  • The highly anticipated all-new next generation Outlander will debut in Q2 of 2021
  • Every Mitsubishi vehicle will receive standard Forward Collision Mitigation with Pedestrian Detection active safety features
"As the new generation of Mitsubishi Motors' vehicles are revealed, we are excited for the future of the brand as a leader in high-quality, top-value, leading-edge technology," said Yoichi Yokozawa, president and CEO of MMNA. "We are committed to our customers and to our dealer partners in North America, and to delivering a completely updated showroom of vehicles. With today's first look at the redesigned Eclipse Cross, we reveal the first look at our company's future design language, and the wait for images of the production-level vehicle will absolutely be worth it."

Further detailed information on the revised lineup of Mitsubishi Motors vehicles will be available at a later date.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Interesting. Seems to go against the pictures seen earlier this years where the rear end was completely redone. This pic appears to show they are keeping the split rear window and tail light layout. They even seem to accentuate the fact by showing it in the reflection and it looks like the rear running lights extend into the rear pillar where the current model just has reflectors. I will follow developments with interest...

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can see the taillight design in the reflection! I kinda like the original, it usually never gets better than the designers original intent. But, maybe this will also bring other updates as well.. i hope they don't just keep changing the exterior and no development like the Outlander, sport, as etc.
I think it's just one big window, there is a mitsubishi logo where the split would be

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yep, after zooming the photo I can see the single window but they have kept the overall shape of the current model. I look forward to the full reveal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now an ECross PHEV would be a great asset to the line up. Seeing as the Outlander is getting bigger next year as well, the EC PHEV will be in a great position, especially here in Australia

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussions I have seen on other forums are suggesting the PHEV version is for China only. This video shows a left hand drive version (Japan are right hand drive like Australia) and the engineers are Chinese (whiteboard text is a giveaway). I will follow the PHEV development with interest. I believe the Outlander PHEV sells quite well in Australia.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Chinese market must be strong for Mitsu.
I think Mitsubishi should have made their pricing and standard features more competitive. I don't think it was JUST the split rear window that they should be thinking about

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think they are very competitive. I was able to purchase new SEL because they are very competitive regarding pricing and features.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was looking forward to buying the new version...hopefully fully loaded compared to my limited. I bought mine mainly because I love how the back window was split..once I got used to it it was a blessing. The split hides the hid headlights of other cars directly behind you. Mine is a 2018 white with black rims. If the new ones eliminate the rear split window I will most likely look for a leftover 2020 SEL, white of course...and have them switch over my rims

·
Registered
248 Posts
That's not a bad looking car Zarbs, sure it would sell in many more markets than just China.

·
Registered
166 Posts
... I bought mine mainly because I love how the back window was split..once I got used to it it was a blessing. The split hides the hid headlights of other cars directly behind you.
So I almost didn't buy it because of the back window, I liked the side profile and the front the best on the EC but, I am with you here! After I had it for a little while I really enjoyed the split blocking the headlights of the car behind me too! I've grown to really like the split window.

I liked that the vehicle reminded me of Lexus with it's very "edgey" styling and I mean that like literal sharp angles, like the taillights and front grill. I didn't necessarily want a Lexus or love their complete package but I thought that the EC definitely mixed up some of the good stuff I really liked about thier look. Much like the 2014 Outlanders grill looked a lot like the Audi's.

I'm interested to see the new EC in real life. Maybe it's toned down enough to appeal to more buyers. As I said initially the split window was a negative for me, so might do them a service to change it (even though I like it now). But maybe it will change the charm of the vehicle. Have to wait and see in person as photos never give me the same feelings.

·
Super Moderator
245 Posts
The new pics show that the rear wiper is indeed at the bottom of the screen, rounded backside gone, shape of the new LEDs, rear wing across screen gone and pretty much a major improvement.

Thanks for the peak. ;)

I would argue that the back end is not an improvement for me. By removing the split, they have raised the beltline of the car and thus reduced rear visibility. The wiper tucked under the spoiler in the current model is also a nice aesthetic while the new configuration looks like more of a compromise. Mitsubishi cars have pushed the envelope with design in the past and as a result had a unique look. Trying to make the designs more generic to appeal to a wider audience, IMHO is too much of the Nissan influence diluting the three diamonds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Trying to make the designs more generic to appeal to a wider audience.
Personally I'd say making their designs "more consistent".

The EC is a pretty sharp looking design, especially for a 2017 design vintage. The Lexus NX design cues abundant with the sharp, edgy panels and interior console that borders on a 'copy'.
Most journos, and the greater public at large commented that it is a nice car, except for the rear, and I think this 2021 refresh modernises and make makes consistent with Mitsubishi's other key models released recently, and to be released from 2021.

I bought a 2019 LS for my wife and it is a terrific little car, and Im genuinely surprised by the quietness and comfort in the soft ride and great sound system sound for a stock unit. The only thing I really hate is the rear design, so I will definitely be grabbing a new one for her when it gets released.

Can't wait to see the interior changes. Hopefully that info unit will get bumped to a min 9" and HD.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts