Eclipse Cross Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
244 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I understand the economics of the redesign, but it saddens me. When Japanese cars first arrived in the U.S. they were considered economy junk, but gradually outdistanced the domestic cars in quality, price, features, etc. But, in the process the new models, appealing to the masses, all began to take on similar design paradigms until, somewhere in the '80s or '90s they all started to look alike. I could tell a Japanese car a mile away, but couldn't tell you the brand until it was close enough to see the emblem. Honda and Toyota, and to a lesser extent Nissan were becoming commodity vehicles. Boring, for the most part.

I am a professionally trained artist, working most of my life as a graphic designer, so I am used to looking at things with a critical eye. That's probably why I've always been drawn to unique vehicles and become a long time Mitsubishi owner with my most recent purchase -- the Eclipse Cross. When it was first released here in 2017, I tried talking my wife into one, but she wasn't having it -- wouldn't even drive one. She ended up with a Jeep Cherokee. There are a million of them on the road, as ubiquitous as Starbucks ... and as tasteless, engineered for the masses. I'm not saying anyone who doesn't appreciate the design aesthetic is wrong, as that is subjective. And, I certainly don't want to be accused of promoting the "emporor's new clothes" just that I personally find its uniqueness as appealing as it's look.

When I got behind the wheel, it took me only a few minutes of driving to know it was for me.

·
Super Moderator
244 Posts
Interesting front end, but they lost me with that back view.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes I don't mind the front end change, but the back is a disappointment.
Anyway, it will not matter here in GB, as Mitsubishi is saying bye bye to us, leaving us high and dry, along with the rest of Europe.
What a crazy decision, sounds like a death wish. Why on earth would you give up one of your best markets for the Outlander PHEV for example, with new models on the way, which would sell very well.
It makes little sense, other than handing this whole area to Nissan and Renault, their new Masters it seems. The sooner Mitsubishi breaks away from this pair the better.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The front is just ewww. The back is so so.. Glad I got in before all these changes... Like it matter much though. Im in Europe.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Man... way to make a Mitsubishi look more like a Nissan.
That rear. Looks like a Rogue, not the e-Evolution.

Geez.

I know, everyone's a critic. But, adding that extra heft to the rear bumper and making that look more like that of an Outlander doesn't scream "sporty". It's like designers wanted to make the front look sleeker, but the rear more saggy. WTF?

Front and rear factory aero options look nice though. Kinda funny adding a diffuser when your tailpipe looks like that of a Mirage. LMAO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here's the official press release from Mitsubishi

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's a really cool design up front, but I probably won't recognize one from the rear.

They put HVAC dials, that is a good thing.

They could have moved the screen closer and kept the touchpad since some current models already have the screen in a closer position (including mine). Not many reviews picked the trackpad as a real problem I'm suprised.

Also my car is still so new to me, it's like I'm looking at the alternate version not the new version

·
Registered
75 Posts
@JohnB Nice repost, man - thanks for doing that. :)

Really curious about whether it's the same S-AWC implementation as the current PHEV. Would be nice if the ACD were better biased to the rear.
I was looking at the slow-mo clips @ 0.24s, and it would have been nice to see more the "squat" on the rear and less body roll.

Overall, it's nice to see that Mitsu is putting some effort in improving the "last true Mitsu". I just really, earnestly, hope that it includes meaningful changes to the driving experience.
Hard to believe it's already been 3 years since this car first rolled off the production line.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I actually like it. Except the honeycomb grill.

Had an experience trying to pick up food curb side and we waited far too long, come to find out, the person bringing it out thought the mitsubishi eclipse cross was a car...(i know the eclipse is a car...). I just forget not everyone knows what an Eclipse Cross is...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I actually like it. Except the honeycomb grill.

Had an experience trying to pick up food curb side and we waited far too long, come to find out, the person bringing it out thought the mitsubishi eclipse cross was a car...(i know the eclipse is a car...). I just forget not everyone knows what an Eclipse Cross is...
Could do with some chrome on the top 3 grill slats. It looks a bit too black to me.. Otherwise looks not bad.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts