Eclipse Cross Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Colt Car Company the importers for Mitsubishi into GB. are said to be looking at the possibility of joining forces with SsangYong GB,{A Korean Car and SUV manufacturer) and are in talks with Mitsubishi, with a view to continue to distribute Mitsubishi cars into the British market.
Initially they are hoping to continue to support the parts and aftersales of their dealers and also continue to import the current range of vehicles until the current designs run out of production in 2022. They then hope to be able to have some models of the new range Mitsubishi's, Type Approved for the British Market, to ensure the current dealers can carry on selling Mitsubishi cars into the future.
The Colt Car Company however, have refused to comment on the speculation so far, and this news is coming from the SsangYong Company who propose to take over the Mitsubishi distribution roll, if negotiation with Colt and Mitsubishi are successful.
It is also said that The Colt Car Company are looking at various other options, on how it could replace the Mitsubishi operation with an alternative manufacturer, to replace the Mitsubishi Motors operation. Not an easy task.

Fingers crossed that something positive comes out the the negotiations and that we can still buy Mitsubishi Cars in the future.
Another fact which may help, is that the British and Japanese Governments signed a new trade agreement last week, which will mean there will no or very few trading tariffs on goods trading between to two countries, which hopefully will be taken into consideration now that agreement is on the Statute Books of both Countries. This agreement, is hopefully the first of many, now that Great Britain has left the European Union. (EU) Australia, New Zealand and the USA are among the many countries now in trade talks with Great Britain, something we could not do whilst members of the EU.

Reactions: Mountainsofbeer

·
Registered
114 Posts
Oh, man. This is fantastic news. I truly hope this happens, so as to keep some sort of pipeline alive in the UK, and possibly for folks in the EU from a parts perspective.
Of course, this is not to the scale that a Mitsubishi consumer would wish. But, still - I recall when CCC was the catalyst for bringing over so many JDM greats, and lobbying both the government and Mitsubishi to finally sell performance models long lusted over to Europe.

Funny thing is, the EU --- and quite notably the UK --- have been critical markets for Mitsubishi up until the company shit all over themselves with poor management and marketing. The fact that the PHEV was, and still is, the best-selling PH in the UK, is nothing to scoff at -- considering that everywhere else, people just don't give two shits because it's built on a nearly 10-year old platform. I believe the European market could still be a good one for Mitsubishi to target. But they need a much more competitive lineup than they do today. They need cars, trucks, and a performance line that would pique some interest, and not this "follow-the-herd" lineup that quite frankly isn't impressing anyone but Mitsubishi execs looking to benchmark against their own last-gen models.

This has been a most interesting read, and thanks for sharing, @Telferstr. That bit about the tariff agreement opens up so many critical strategic possibilities for struggling companies like MMC to cut costs by designing and producing close to home, while still remaining price-competitive in sales markets overseas.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks slippercream, will keep you posted if and when anything transpires.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looking forward to it bud.
You know what's ironic - my last car, which I imported last year, came from the UK. I'm also looking at two examples of my next "target" - both also from the UK.

The CCC was instrumental in bringing these vehicles to the Isles. And it would be so sad if all that history went to waste.
Kinda like Tommi Mäkinen running Toyota's GR, (and finishing his driving career with Subie). When his greatest successes were with Mitsu.

Some people just really need to know what's good for them. What a terrible mistake Mitsubishi is making by leaving the UK. The EU, I understand --- but the UK??!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Man whatever happened to Tommi? I feel like I haven't heard that name in forever. edit* Oh I see I haven't been keeping up on my WRC; He had recent success with Toyota

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah, before he drove for Scooby.

I swear... Mitsu and their mistakes. I recall when dealers would tell me "there's no market for cars. It's all going to SUVs."
A few years later, Mitsubishi is still selling Mirages. While Toyota is selling 86s, Mazda is still selling 3s and Miatas, and Nissan is still selling Altimas and GT-Rs.

And... Scooby has no real competition in the same class from other Japanese manufacturers. And there are STILL a dime a dozen WRX's out and about. And people think they're god's gift to boykind!

I give up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
MMC exiting the UK market is a bad move. The world is majority LHD, one would think, where RHD markets are concerned, the wider reach you have, will auger well with economies of scale! The UK is a very important RHD market, why not press the reset button and apply prudent management strategies before pulling the plug indefinitely?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Completely agree. Especially with the UK leaving the EU, and striking multiple economic agreements with Japan in recent months to boost its return to self-reliance.
And, Mitsubishi is well-respected in the UK. I understand Nissan closing shop with Infinity, but Mitsu leaving outright?

HUGE mistake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts