Eclipse Cross Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't think of a better title for starting a new thread. But, in looking for videos of the 2021 Outlander, I instead I found this old video.

Note that the 2021 Outlander will be based on their new R+N C-platform. Expectation is that the engine+trans will be that of a Nissan as well.
Soooo... here's that video.

I support the reviewers in dissing that same Jatco CVT. Fuck that shit. Traditional gears FTMFW!

And, just for lagniappe...

Troll on.

·
Registered
2018 Eclipse Cross SE, Diamond White Pearl
49 Posts
The CVT is the most difficult thing I've had to get used to in our EC. It's been a slow process but the more I drive it the better it is (and I come from one of those abhorrent PowerShift Ford Fiesta automatics).

I may never like it, but I'll get used to it. Maybe...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a commuter transmission, It's not bad, but it's certainly not the best. Even if compared to the same CVT unit, mounted on a different Mitsubishi (e.g., Outlander, ASX/Sport) - the implementation on the Cross is just... wonky. We all have our experiences.

It is better than the earliest gen CVTs in Nissans, but still not a monumental improvement, and certainly not in the performance department. Considering how many issues people have had with them over the years, it really makes me wonder whether it's worth both the bad press and year-on-year warranty costs, to keep!

I mean - look at that video. QX60 with a VQ35. And it still loses to an Outlander with a 6B31 (3.0L 6G72 successor). Granted, the Infiniti is 700lbs heavier than the Outlander - but the counterargument to that, is that the weight:power ratio of the Nissan is 14.8lbs per hp on the Nissan, versus 16lbs per hp on the Mitsu! Granted, not much of a difference - but shouldn't a VQ engine with loads more torque smoke a puny 6G/6B?

I guess it won't matter. Such a comparison of a Nissan/Mitsubishi wouldn't even matter for the 2021 MYs, since Mitsu will pretty much be a re-skinned Nissan, with the exception of it having an AYC rear pumpkin, which gives marketing the right to put an S-AWC badge on. Yay...

Which makes me wonder... what'll happen to the MIVEC designation going forward. N-VTC, anyone?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The CVT is the most difficult thing I've had to get used to in our EC. It's been a slow process but the more I drive it the better it is (and I come from one of those abhorrent PowerShift Ford Fiesta automatics).

I may never like it, but I'll get used to it. Maybe...
Both my vehicles are manual and I HATE the CVTs, have yet to find one that I like. The one in the Cross is no different. Also the CVT doesn't like towing due to heat issues. For the wife driving around town and the fact that she doesn't hot rod it, should last for quite a while.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well I traded in my 2015 OS with a 2.0l.CVT combo and it would jump rpms at highway speed hunting up and down oddly. 140,000miles. I didn't service the CVT though, ever. I'm hoping for at least that life span with the Cross.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I remember that oddity, too. What's most strange is that when we upped to the 2.4L AWC (4B12), those "RPM spikes" were an issue of the past.
With the Cross, it's not spikes, but that dreadful dip in RPMs from a stop, regardless of how much pedal depression you give it.

I mean, drive ratio on this transmission is already low as it is, with an RPM drop, you're pretty much just either dumping fuel, or hoping your foot is actually still connected to your brain --- because
you ain't getting nowhere fast, son! :D

At least, that's the feeling.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sigh At least Nolan tries to stay fair and bases some of his suppositions on data. I've got nothing but disappointment and frustration with MMC's direction. I mean, we all get it. Doesn't mean we can like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts