Eclipse Cross Forum banner

New Member UK

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DevonDancer 
#1 ·
Wow, that was a bit of a marathon signing up to your forum! Seriously, if you want lots of nice new members coming in as the Eclipse rolls out you need to sort out the registration!

Rant over.

Hello everyone from beautiful South Devon in the UK. I've just joined the Mitsubishi family, picked up my brand new Eclipse Cross Exceed on March 19th, two days before our lock-down was announced so very limited experience of it so far!
History of my car ownership. Had three Land Rover Discoveries starting with a 300tdi and now with my Discovery 4 HSE. a total of 30 years of Discovery ownership.
The Eclipse has replaced a 'second' car, a Peugeot 308SW which was ok but long in the tooth and we really wanted something with 4WD capability. After looking around at numerous makes the Eclipse seemed to make most sense price/equipment/style-wise hence why I now have one sitting on the drive :crying:

The Discovery is staying as it's the tug for our caravan but I will be interested through this forum people's experience of towing with the Eclipse.

Cheers For Now

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome! It looks like the site has yet to resolve their UK registration issues, but the admins have announced a platform upgrade, so here's hoping.

On paper, the Eclipse Cross looks pretty average if you're only looking at spec's. It's when you actually get behind the wheel that you can feel a difference. I hope you have an equally positive experience with yours. Unfortunately I can't help with towing. The only thing I tug with my EC is my sorry backside to work and back. And now that I'm working from home for the duration of the lockdown, my garage enjoys it more than I will. :(

#4 ·
Welcome DevonDancer. Love Devon, have distant relatives living in Barnstaple. They are just in Australia before the virus took hold and had to self isolate for 14 days upon their return home.

I run with a tow bar on my Exceed EC and have no issue with it but with its limit of 1600Kg towed and 160Kg downforce on the ball it is quite limited. I use it to tow a trailer to pick up stuff for our farm and to take things to our local tip. I usually tow a 7 x 4 trailer with a galvanised cage. I have to limit the volume I tow as the trailer is unbraked and restricted to 750Kg loads. No real issues but not a workhorse like your Discovery.

#5 ·
Hi Zarbs
Devon is definitely a beautiful part of England, only wish we could get out and enjoy it now the sun has returned after months of rain. But we're never satisfied are we!!
Agree, the Discovery (for all it's faults) can't be beaten as a good workhorse and given it has roughly twice the HP and torque of the Eclipse I'm not expecting miracles but always nice to know if you can use it 'in extremis'.
Liked the Eclipse because of the S-AWC system which will be a godsend in driving our rural Devon lanes in bad weather. The old pug was a nightmare when it got even mildly slippy !

#6 · (Edited)
Welcome DevonDancer, and pleased you manage to register. Like you I tried for months to register and nearly gave up the attempt completely, but manage to join using a roundabout route in the end.
Hope you enjoy your new Eclipse Cross and find the Forum useful.

#8 ·
Hi LunchBOx

We went around a few. Originally looked at the ASX, saw the eclipse but initially dismissed it (!). Looked at a Suzuki Vitara, Skoda and a Subaru. Tried to look at a Seat but the sales staff weren't particularly helpful so walked out.

Thought about it and decided the Mitsubishi ASX was a bit long in the tooth and very 'confined' feeling inside (black headlining) then had a short test drive in the Eclipse and thought 'yes, this is the one'.

What also helped was the very large discount I got from belonging to a UK organisation who had a deal with Mitsubishi :smile_big:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.