Center consul . ?

·
Registered
Mitsubishi Eclipse cross 4 Awd
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hya thank for the response
I’m looking at center arm rest / storage area
Inside (to eliminate cables when using phone)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hya thank for the response
I’m looking at center arm rest / storage area
Inside (to eliminate cables when using phone)
Ok understand.... more likely u would have to retro fit... but I think its very much possible..you definately need a longer usb to run beneath console as well as port. But its do able.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hya everyone
Has anyone tried to fit USB port in
Center consul . ?
I installed a 3m cable running from one of the USB ports in the front to the console box. Didn't see the point in putting a port there. Simply popped the console off the floor, ran the cable along the drivers side of the floor console and through a small hole drilled in the lower front of the console box (not the bottom as I have a rubber mat (AliExpress) in the bottom of the box). I am now able to connect the phone in the box and have it out of the way. Being in the box doesn't seem to affect the GPS location ability of navigation software when using CarPlay.

Using a mobile phone whilst driving in Australia is frowned upon and carries big fines and demerit points plus my state (NSW) have mobile phone cameras set up to take pics of anyone using a mobile whilst driving. I also installed a top shelf for the console box I got on AliExpress and it has a whole through which you pass the cable so the phone sits in the top tray.

The process for removing the floor console is listed here:

I did not have to remove the entire console or the gear knob/select lever knob just had to lift it off the floor so I could insert the cable along the length of the console and into the box area. I was able to insert the USB A end into the port and then run it over the top of the console, wrapping to the rear over the top of the console tray, so the only thing you see is the plug end. I used a right angle plug purchased on AliExpress. 3m long with a braided outer and a right angle A end with Lightining as the other end but you can get these cables with USB mini, micro and C as the end as well.

USB Cable on AliExpress is here:

Console box top tray is here:

Lastly, check this YouTube video where he shows the removal process of the floor console and installs a USB cable (in Chinese but all you need to do is follow along):

·
Registered
537 Posts
Here are some pics of my cable install:

Facia with the cable tucked into the upper section of the floor console:

The A plug on the cable seen here can be plugged either way as it is a special fitting internally that can move depending on the orientation of the right angle (up or down).

The console box has a small hole drilled:

The top tray added to the console box makes for greater storage and easy access to the phone when needed. The Lighting cable end is right angled as well to save space and protect the cable connection
:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts