Eclipse Cross Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YB 2020 Eclipse Cross Exceed

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone out there is experiencing issues with their roller door remote interfering with their vehicle remote and vice versa?

we have recenty purchased the new Eclipse Cross Exceed YB. We absolutely love it.

We also have a Merlin Silent Drive 650 Professional with Security+2.0 remote controlled motor for the roller door (the barrel type of door) and it’s definitely (without a doubt) interfering with the new car.

if I press the roller door remote first the car won’t open using the remote, and I have to use the car door button to open the car. If I press the car remote first it sends a signal to the roller door (tiny orange light flashes on the door motor) and the roller door partially opens or closes, sometimes it fully opens or closes.

If I press either the car remote and/or the roller door remote in fairly quick succession, the roller door motor keeps trying to open/close repeatedly, and doesn’t stop until I turn off the power to the roller door motor, disconnect the release cord (like when the power is out), reconnect the release cord, then before I turn the power back on, I have to take the car remote a long way away or inside the house. One the car remote is not close, then I can turn the power on, put up the door using the up/down buttons on the motor.

Now the orange light is off.and not flashing continuously, I can fetch my keys, reverse out, get out of the car, put the roller door down using the up/down buttons again on the motor and drive off. If I try to use the garage door remote again, the door can partially or fully open, and then I have to go through the process all over again.

it’s truly driving me nuts.

i called Merlin and was told that sometimes overseas manufactured vehicles use the same frequency that we use here in Australia for roller doors. If that’s the case, the roller door motor and car remote (potentially) could interfere with each other.

Wondering I’d anyone else has experienced the same problem and has successfully rectified it.

Also, if I don’t turn off the power to the roller door motor, reset it using the pull-string release cord, the tiny orange light keeps flashing, and then my son can’t open the roller door with his roller door remote to get his Lancer VRX 2014 out of the garage (because by now the roller door isn’t responding to any roller door remotes, just the buttons on the motor). We have never had any troubles with the Lancer car remote interfering with the roller door, and we have had that car since new.

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
It does indeed sound like they are operating on the same frequencies. While I'm not sure if you can change the car fob frequency, you should be able to change the frequency of the Merlin Silent Drive. Mind you, you may have to reset all the remote openers for them to work on the new frequency.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It truly is. At least we have worked out what is happening. We though the motor was stuffed and we probably needed a new in. we also thought that there was a problem with the Eclipse remote.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It truly is. At least we have worked out what is happening. We though the motor was stuffed and we probably needed a new in. we also thought that there was a problem with the Eclipse remote.
The new car is totally amazing. We love it. I definitely recommend one to any out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does indeed sound like they are operating on the same frequencies. While I'm not sure if you can change the car fob frequency, you should be able to change the frequency of the Merlin Silent Drive. Mind you, you may have to reset all the remote openers for them to work on the new frequency.
I am under the assumption that the unit we have, has only 1 frequency. However, other ones do come with multiple frequencies.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Welcome @QLDer. You might try removing all remotes from the garage door and then reprogram each door remote that came with the door to see if you can get the system to forget/ignore the EC remote signals. Your owners manual for the roller door will have the process for doing this. If you don't have the paper manual then you can download manuals for Merlin doors here:

I use the earlier iteration of the Chamberlain version (same company but I'm not sure what the hardware differences are between the two) of this door opener on two separate garages and have no problems with them but I also have an iSmartGate controller on each which allows remote control from iPhone and from the CarPlay Home Screen if you have a HomeKit setup in your residence. This allows me to open the door from anywhere over the internet using my mobile/cell coverage. There is also as iOS app for control of the doors from anywhere as well if you don't use HomeKit hubs.

Your door opener should support MyQ which is the Merlin equivalent for remote access and control. The linked page above has information. Here are the details/specs for the 655 model door (3 ferequencies very close together whereas my opener uses a single freq 433.92 MHz):

·
Registered
576 Posts
My reading around the net regarding multi frequency door openers like yours is that the door will work for multiple frequencies out of the factory. Mine on the other hand is set to a single frequency as it is older. The reading I have found all suggest that you do as I noted in my previous post. Remove all of the currently known remotes from the door opener using the process listed for your unit. The odd behaviour you are seeing may be because the frequencies match for your EC remotes but the passcodes are not in place and this is causing an issue with the security function of the opener hence the erratic performance.

Once all remotes are removed, add each remote back into the unit one by one using the manual programming procedure making sure you end the "Learning" process once all remotes have been added. DO NOT use any of your car remotes at this time as they may be on one of the other frequencies and, once you use it, that frequency will be learnt by the door opener during the learning phase. If you only use the Merlin supplied remotes then they should only use one of the three frequencies available. I don't believe Merlin uses frequency hopping as a security feature but if they do then this procedure may not be the solution.

The door and remotes use a rolling code system to communicate but this is not frequency dependant. The first time you marry the remote to the door the opener will give the remotes a security passcode to use the next time the remote needs to communicate with the door to open/close it. Unless the opener gets one of its correct passcodes from the registered remotes the door will not operate. Once the code matches, the opener will operate and also send a new passcode to the remote so it will be recognised the next time it is used for operations.

Given this process, if you clear the door remotes from the opener and add them manually, your car remotes won't be in the list and will not have a passcode to be able to open the door at any time after you finished clearing out the old remotes.

I rarely, if ever, use the remote buttons of my Exceed EC. I always use the KOS buttons on the passenger doors or the tailgate/boot. My tests with my Chamberlain opener on the single frequency does not affect my opener so I would surmise that one of the other two frequencies available are matching that of the EC remote.

You could do a simple test. Get a Chamberlian MotorLift remote (you can get them from Bunnings (do your test and then return for a refund) or you may be lucky enough to have a neighbour who uses a Chamberlain opener and can lend you a remote to test) and then clear all remotes and add only the Chamberlain remote to see if it selects the frequency that doesn't match your EC remote and solves the issue. It would then mean replacing the Merlin remotes with Chamberlain MotorLift units.

If none of this works then I would admit defeat and look at replacing the door opener.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts