Eclipse Cross Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross is spotted in several photos wearing some Yokohama tires so after zooming in on multiple images, unfortunately I still can't get the size.... BUT they are Yokohama BluEarth E70 tires.

These are the same tires that are on the Prius sold in Japan, Oceana, and Europe.

They're apparently designed to be eco-friendly (duh...) and aid with fuel efficiency.

Typically what that means to me is less grip. Can't find really any reviews on them either though.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
75 Posts
there's always the option of test driving a Prius just to get a feel of the tires, though I wouldn't be too concerned with the grip. Yokohama says they're supposed to increase safety, comfort and fuel economy. We'll have to wait fro reviews to pour in and see if that's an apt description.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I'm here in North America so there goes the chances for that. But I'm going to try and see if I can find what the Prius owners over seas are saying about it.

I don't think I've ever had a bad experience with Yoko tires though so I'm not that worried about it, and it's not like this will be used for serious spirited driving to the point where grip and all of that is a huge concern.

Have you ever driven with Yokohama tires before and if so, which ones were they?

·
Registered
75 Posts
We'll have to wait a while for Yokohama BluEarth E70 tire reviews since it's still relatively new as far as I know and most Prius owners I know don't care much for what tires they're running. I'd looks at the AE01 reviews if those weren't so different...

·
Registered
192 Posts
One problem with comparing tires from one model to another is size. Sometimes just getting a bigger size of a certain tire can make all the difference with certain things, comfort being one of them, an obvious one.

So test driving a Prius could give you false expectations.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is true. Size and then overall vehicle specifications will greatly skew how that tire does. For example, if one has more power and better lower-end power especially, traction will vary.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That is true. Size and then overall vehicle specifications will greatly skew how that tire does. For example, if one has more power and better lower-end power especially, traction will vary.
Correct.

You'll get a feel for some of the tires differences but nothing nearly as relevant as trying it on the vehicle you really want it on, unless there are other reasons to make you more decisive on these. If its a truly stand-out product without much else like it, just get it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I guess it's just a waiting game. Either way I'm pretty sure we're essentially stuck with them until we choose to change them over at our expense so I guess there's not much to do about it?

·
Registered
192 Posts
So I guess it's just a waiting game. Either way I'm pretty sure we're essentially stuck with them until we choose to change them over at our expense so I guess there's not much to do about it?
Well, sometimes tires offered are different from one market to another so depending where you're located you might get different tires from me. As long as it can have all the CUV traction expected of it... most owners will be happy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CUV traction essentially would just be some regular all-seasons on there, which is expected and nothing bad, but in wet conditions they're a little sketchy usually. Just gotta feel it out and see what I think when I get the chance to I guess.

·
Registered
192 Posts
CUV traction essentially would just be some regular all-seasons on there, which is expected and nothing bad, but in wet conditions they're a little sketchy usually. Just gotta feel it out and see what I think when I get the chance to I guess.
that with traction control should leave most people happy, rarely do I see people buying in this segment requiring anything more and if they do its a matter of tires for snow/ice conditions. but i'm not sure how confident people will be in the EC for that purpose.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Purely subjective comment. The Cross performs best with TC off, and on Gravel. Unfortunately, because there is no "sport" mode to improve drive-by-wire throttle response, the closest you can get to getting the car to respond quicker to depressing the pedal is to turn off any kind of traction control. (Yes, I know - that doesn't seem logical, but that's just based on experience.)

Why Gravel? Because there's more of a rear-bias focus on Gravel setting than Auto or Snow.

There's one caveat here: The S-AWC on the Cross behaves as close to the Evo X's with one primary difference: much like the X-Drive on a Subie, it relies on braking and to sense slip via wheel speed sensors. Everything else functions the same.
So, turn off TC, and you have to properly brake for this thing to change driving dynamics with AYC. You want to do this anyway if you're going to drive it like it were an Evo.

Of course, I say this knowing that the suspension on this thing is DEFINITELY not meant to keep it planted on the road while intentionally making it go into a sideways situation.
Broken hopes and dreams. But then again, it's not an Evo. But it's definitely better than what's in the N/A Outlander S-AWC.

Now... PHEV - whole different beast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not very happy with these tires. In less than 500 km I've got 3 out of 4 tires punctured on short country roads paved with crushed stones. I already replaced with better ones from Michelin. It looks like Yokohama stock tires a made for city driving only.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Got the Cross with Bridgestone Ecopias (USDM). They weren't bad, even compared to the ultra-soft Yokohama Advan A13s on the Evos. However, it's impossible to compare stock v. stock considering everything else suspension on the Cross makes it pretty much a Cadillac - soft, and boaty with lots of play.

In any case, stock tires were fine (and so were the Nexens on the USDM Outlander Sports) for what they're designed for - everyday cruising.

Currently sporting Michelin AS/3s, and though I'm 100% more confident riding in Michelin kicks, I can't say it's made a difference in traction and performance (though for sure with less road noise) considering the suspension is ultra soft.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts