Eclipse Cross Forum banner

Upgrade Speakers Anyone???

30K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  cbr9329fun 
#1 · (Edited)
I want to upgrade/replace my speakers. I previously did this on a Mini I owned. I changed to some Polks, and got way better sound. I may also put a small amp in.

Usually I go to Crutchfield for this stuff, and they give you all the technical docs and wiring diagrams, everything you need to know to pop door panels, etc. I called them and they said they don't have any info on this vehicle:surprise: Probably because this car has a very low market share.

Anyone have any pics or info on replacing speakers, I really hate to be the first guy on the planet to rip his door open and replace speakers, but I fear I may end up being that guy.

Almost forgot, I have a 2018 SE, standard 6 speaker audio system.

#5 ·
Audiophiles would be wise to spring for thw 9 speaker , 710W Rockford Fosgate system that available.
I have the Rockford Fosgate sound system, What I don't like is the two prominent Rockford Fosgate logos above the dashboard. I don't want my car used as an advertising billboard.

Here's a funny thing: subjectively, I don't think it "sounds" better than the stock audio system, except if it's so loud that the stock audio would be distorting. But the sound must be cleaner, because I keep hearing lyrics in old songs that I've never been able to work out before!

#4 ·
Actually i did upgrade my speakers, or maybe i should say system. I originally emailed Mitsubishi if they would for me, but they wouldn't. So i found a local spot, that does it. I added a mono rockford amp, and 12 inch rockford subwoofer, but kept the stock speakers. To be honest, im blown away. The bass is quite incredible. Turning it to max, you feel it in your chest.

The best news was that the guy did not have to take apart dashboard to connect to the stock system, which i was worried about. Definitely worth upgrading. Cost me around 800$ in canada. I can post pics if anyone would like.

#7 ·
I agree with Sparky - the factory sound system in late model Mitsubishis is actually above average compared to what most other manufacturers consider "standard" equipment these days. It's not like it was in the early- to mid-2000s where you really *had* to replace paper cone speakers else they'd sound like total ass within a week of your listening to death metal or diarrhea techno or trip-over dubstep music or whatever your adolescent heart required to have backseat sexytime back then.

A good sub is all you really need - and one that can reliably reproduce the needed lows with decent quality at any frequency.

RF actually has a decent lineup of aftermarket low-profile subs these days. In fact, even the current year Punch line is actually very highly rated among reviewers.
But, just as important is the amp that powers the sub. And, I will say that RF does have stellar amplifiers. And ones that are ultra-compact too.

I promise, I don't make a dime for saying these things. But, seriously - I've recently upgraded one of the cars (not the Cross) with modern all-RF drivers, amps, and a 10" sub. Got me back to listening to the old Eclipse tunes, back when the Eclipse name actually meant something fun.

#8 · (Edited)
And, though this isn't an Eclipse commercial - I still love this song.
Still have it on my playlist. Telepopmusik's Just Breathe.

Talk about a song to test your sound system with.

Edit: You're gonna just have to open the link to another browser window since it doesn't seem to want to work from BBcode. Sorry.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=assA9dDT1Gg

#11 ·
I've upgraded my Radio (stock was without Bluetooth etc.) -> Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB

Used an adapter and the Cover (for MMCS dimensions) of an Outlander - adpter works without any problems and the cover with some modifications

But I am still searching for other speakers - have no tweeters... -.-
Anyone here changed them already and know what fits?

#13 ·
So, the way I would do it (and I'm by no means an expert) is by using a T-Harness designed for the 20 pin "C-114" connector (see attached) - aerpro's CT10MT05 will do the trick, the plug is shared across the Eclipse Cross/ASX/Lancer/Outlander.

Take the speaker level out signal to your amplifier or DSP, amplify it, then feed it back into the stock harness. Upgrade the speakers in the doors (Mitsubishi like to reuse parts, so aerpro APS311 speaker adapter rings will work) and job done.

If you've bought a set of fancy splits, you'll need to figure out how to get the crossover installed and the signals to where they need to go, and fab up some sort of bracket or adapter for the tweeters in the dash.

Attachments

#14 ·
I want to upgrade/replace my speakers. I previously did this on a Mini I owned. I changed to some Polks, and got way better sound. I may also put a small amp in.

Usually I go to Crutchfield for this stuff, and they give you all the technical docs and wiring diagrams, everything you need to know to pop door panels, etc. I called them and they said they don't have any info on this vehicle:surprise: Probably because this car has a very low market share.

Anyone have any pics or info on replacing speakers, I really hate to be the first guy on the planet to rip his door open and replace speakers, but I fear I may end up being that guy.

Almost forgot, I have a 2018 SE, standard 6 speaker audio system.

hey so where you able to upgrade ?? I currently have the upgraded Rockfordfosgate system but I’m an audio head and want to upgrade so it can be louder !! Should I replace the speakers or just add an amp and hope it won’t blow them ???

#15 ·
Whilst my EC does not have Rockford Fosgate, as it is not an option in Australia, my previous Outlander and Pajero (Montero) both had Rockford Fosgate. In both cases they had the amp for the system situated under the drivers seat. I don't know where they would have situated the amp for the EC but it should have one already. You should have a separate manual for the audio system and it may list the location of the components for information.

#22 · (Edited)
So I bought a 2018 4 months after they released them here in the states and that night I brought it home I replaced the door speakers and installed a 2 12s the back. It's a pretty cut and dry install only thing I need to make was new speaker brackets for the door which was simple too . Now when it comes to the radio being swapped out. Is there a reason why you want it swapped? I personally don't think there is a need to swap out the radio just spend the money on a good line output
converter so you can adjust it to make sure you get proper signal voltage and it gives you the outputs to run a lows amp as well as an amp for your mids and highs. The pic attached is about the 5th different setup she'd had she is being built for big numbers. The best she's done is 148.7 decibels at 42hz on a single 18.I own and audio company so it's fun to swap out equipment every other month to try new things. If y'all have any questions feel free to send them my way I possibly may start making and selling speaker brackets for the doors also.

#32 ·
OMG HELP!!!! I blew my amp which did not require a remote wire. Bought a new amp but now needs a remote line. I disconnected the head unit to try and tap in. I ended up just trying the Aux power outlet so didn't touch the stereo harness at all. "now when I reinstalled the head unit, I have no power at all" No lights, nothing.

I have checked all radio fuses and are fine. I have tried disconnecting the battery a few times (including the clear ECU trick) I am not even getting an enter code option. flat out no power. I have have installed many stereos in the pass and was thinking, I have power to the harness (12v when car is off and 14v when running) however, I am unable to find the secondary power when car is on. Is there another fuse or relay switch I should be looking for?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.