Eclipse Cross Forum banner

81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Slippercream!!!!! Get a Manual Gearbox Fitted!!!:D:D. Mind you they do not do a 4x4 with the manual gearbox, but there must be away around that.

Mind you looking to the near future, the need for any kind of gearbox will disappear, and you will just sit there with just 2 pedals and stop one and a go one for your electric car.
Life will be dull, unless that is, someone can come up with a CO2 clear fuel for the internal combustion engine, that will manage to save this form of motion we all enjoy..
However let us all hope that someone somewhere may just have their brains in steep, trying to come up with the answer to solve that issue.
The main problem being is, that they have little time left in which to do so.

Reactions: slippercream

·
Registered
14 Posts
My take is this:

If Mitsubishi is serious about getting additional sales from those who like a sporty/performance oriented driving experience then offer the EC with an optional 4B11T found in the now defunct Lancer RalliArt. Give us a hot rally version and call it EC Evolution with max 4B11T tune. For NA lovers out there, I get it, you may not want a turbo due to reliability concerns. How about a 4B12 option? How about ditching those Jatco CVT's in favor of Aisin torque converter automatics? Include stuff like rear AC vents and front hood/bonnet struts. Further, the suspension setup should have included some aluminum components like the control arms to reduce weight. Some tweaks needed to be implemented because NVH levels is way too high in this vehicle. It feels like a 90's Nissan with upgraded wheels. The updated 2022 version missed the mark quite substantially imo which leaves me disappointed. At this time, I don't intend to keep our EC for more than 3-4 years. If Mitsubishi does not improve, there is a high probability that I'll be heading to Mazda or Subaru for a CX-5 2.5T or Outback 2.4T.

·
Registered
175 Posts
@Telferstr - Hey man, sorry, I just saw this response of yours now. Willisjamaica revealed something rather ... well... revealing when he described his Cross. It had a 4B11. That tells me that there are compatibilities, mechanically, wrt drivetrain between the last Lancers, Outlander Sports, and the Cross. Either way, it can be done to mate a non-CVT transmission with that of a Cross.

The challenge therein lies in the electronics. Remember that the TCU and ECU functions are innately connected. I'm sure a piggyback or standalone spliced into the factory ECU, in-line, will resolve any of these interoperability issues. But the key here is money and risk.

If it were me, I'd take a DCT-470 from a Ralliart Lancer or Evo MR and swap it in. Engine-wise, well no one has proven nor disproven the modularity of the engine - whether this hunk o' junk and plastic actually has something worth redeeming. Otherwise, yes I'd ditch it in favor of a 4B11T - mainly due to head design. The 4B12 just won't flow as well. I know people have done frankenstein swaps mating 4B12 blocks with 4B11T heads - but TBH, it's just way too many parameters to have to troubleshoot. Just crate in a fully built, decked and pinned long block - and be done with it.

Personally, the one thing mechanically that endears me to the Cross is the AYC rear. Otherwise, I really liked the 4B12 in the Outlander Sport and wish we hadn't traded that one in. Even the CVT worked fine with the '12, IMO. It wasn't as droll as the Cross'.

But --- I've got more exciting, promising projects to pursue than the Cross. It's a true shame. At best -- and it's a maybe -- we'll rice it out and make it look "too cool for school". It is the wife's DD after all. I'm just waiting for next year until we get a true performance SUV. :)

You guys out in the UK and the Crown Countries --- you got it lucky. We in the US only get to import this beast next year :D
If you know Mitsubishis, and with my hints - you'll know exactly what I'm talking about ;)

Reactions: Telferstr
81 - 83 of 83 Posts